• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Visiting from Virginia

Xeni

imported post

Hello all,

I've been asked by my wife to attend her grandmothers 85th birthday in Toledo and as I do in the great Commonwealth of Virginia I would like to be armed while visiting Ohio. I have a valid CHP issued in Virginia but I tend to OC and only CC when I must.

Any tips for an out of stater? I believe OH is a OC friendly state but anything or place I should avoid?

How friendly are people to an OCr?

I plan on being up there for about 4 days and Ive been asked to goto something called Cherry Point. Outside of that, any advice, recommendations, etc would be greatly appreciated.

Lastly, I heard that I *must* eat chili dogs at Rudy's in Toledo. :D

jmelvin

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Xeni although I no longer live in Toledo, I did for about 8 years and from Ohio myself. Although Ohioans have long had a right to OC it has been little practiced until recently. All Ohio laws regarding the carriage of firearms were pre-empted by the Ohio legislature effective May, 2007, which killed the effectiveness of local laws which may have prohibited OC. As a result OC is something relatively new to many in urban areas including Toledo. There have been some recent issues particularly in northern Ohio for OCers as recorded here, however the Ohio Attorney General has been requested to issue a formal statement clearly stating for all of law enforcement that OC is legal.

As a former Ohioan who also has the permits to carry concealed I typically carry concealed when in Ohio unless I am familiar with the areas I go. If you don't mind CCing while in Ohio, it may result in less hassle for you although it is perfectly legal in many places. Cedar Point is likely the place that you have been invited to (between Toledo and Cleveland) and while you will likely havea bundle of fun riding the roller coasters, firearms are forbidden at the park if Irecall.

If you don't get too many answers on this board you may want to check www.ohioccw.com (Ohioans for Concealed Carry, which also discuss Open Carry) and www.buckeyefirearms.com for further info and discussion. Enjoy your trip to Ohio and bypass Rudy's and request to go to Tony Packo's instead. :)

bersa

imported post

I have been going to Rudys Hot Dogs since grade school at that was sometime back. Will be out of town from aug 10-13 any other time we can grab a dog. Rudys sells beer so you cant carry.

Xeni

imported post

Thank y'all for the information. I looked up the Ohio code for transporting a firearm in a vehicle. Seems like an annoying law but looks like I should be covered if I've got my glock in her holster.

Looks like the town I'll be visiting in Bryan, Ohio. Pretty little town from the website. Not sure how kindly people will be of a outsider carrying a pistol in town but I hope to stimulate the economy while I'm in town. :D

Also, looks like the Ohio code requires me to identify myself to a LEO if stopped. Annoying but I don't intend on getting into any trouble.

Thanks all for the information and I hope to have some fun in your state !

-X