• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open carry on motorcycle

makaveli0129

imported post

I live in dearborn heights mi and now know that I can walk the streets and openly carry but when getting into the car I have to unload the gun and put it in my trunk. My question is is that when I get onto my motorcycle which is a sports bike what are the laws concerning that do i still have to take it out of the holster even though the pistol won't fit into the trunk compartment of my motorcycle or is it legal for me to carry it on my bike. I don't have a CCW or CPL. Thanks for all the help.

warlockmatized

imported post

makaveli0129 wrote:
I live in dearborn heights mi and now know that I can walk the streets and openly carry but when getting into the car I have to unload the gun and put it in my trunk. My question is is that when I get onto my motorcycle which is a sports bike what are the laws concerning that do i still have to take it out of the holster even though the pistol won't fit into the trunk compartment of my motorcycle or is it legal for me to carry it on my bike. I don't have a CCW or CPL. Thanks for all the help.
It is my understanding that CPL is needed to carry on a cycle as well. Without a CPL the vehicle transport laws/regs would apply.

Big Gay Al

Michigan Moderator
imported post

Ok, that's just stupid. If you're on a motorcycle, and you're open carrying, it is not concealed. At least not physically. If some LEO or prosecutor thinks otherwise, someone needs an attitude adjustment.

I'd check with the AG's office and see what they say.

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

Big Gay Al wrote:
Ok, that's just stupid. If you're on a motorcycle, and you're open carrying, it is not concealed. At least not physically. If some LEO or prosecutor thinks otherwise, someone needs an attitude adjustment.

It's true! No CPL..means no OC on any vehicle in Michigan. Motorcycle, ATV, boats and snowmobiles are vehicles and if you don't have a CPL the weapon must be unloaded and secured. Although there has been some debate on the matter.

SpringerXDacp

imported post

Big Gay Al wrote:

Per MCRGO:

Q:
I am a current CPL holder. I bought a new motorcycle and wondered if it's legal to carry my revolver concealed on me while riding the bike. I also wondered if I can store or conceal the revolver in a locked compartment on the bike.

A:
So long as you have a valid, Michigan CPL (Concealed Pistol License), you may carry concealed pistols anywhere in the State of Michigan except for those places listed on the "Pistol Free Areas" list in the statute, or private property where the party in control prohibits weapons in general or asks you specifically not to carry there. Note that the intent of the law is that you should lock your gun in your vehicle when you find yourself about to enter a "Pistol Free Area." (NOTE: I use the quotation marks to indicate that the statute uses the term "Pistol Free Area," but only law-abiding citizens are deterred by the rule.) The question of storage is a question of reasonableness. If you have a compartment on your motorcycle that is secure, you should be fine storing your pistol there. However, if the gun falls into the wrong hands, you could potentially face criminal and civil liability. So, be sure that your method and location of storage pass the "sniff test".

Big Gay Al

Michigan Moderator
imported post

Venator wrote:
Big Gay Al wrote:

It's true! No CPL..means no OC on any vehicle in Michigan. Motorcycle, ATV, boats and snowmobiles are vehicles and if you don't have a CPL the weapon must be unloaded and secured. Although there has been some debate on the matter.
Well, it's just plain stupid. I can sort of see why they'd consider a gun INSIDE a car as concealed. But to apply that to a motorcycle as well. The law needs some attitude adjustment, in my humble opinion.

SpringerXDacp

imported post

Big Gay Al wrote:
Venator wrote:
Big Gay Al wrote:

Well, it's just plain stupid. I can sort of see why they'd consider a gun INSIDE a car as concealed. But to apply that to a motorcycle as well. The law needs some attitude adjustment, in my humble opinion.

Big Al, I know it's your opinion, but, what makes a motorcycle any different than a car/truck? They both have to be license and insured to be operated on our public roads and highways and the operator must be licensed, as well.

I'm not being argumentative...just saying. The only difference between the two are: The motorcycle has two tires (sometimes three) instead of four and weighs less. And, of course, usually cheaper to insure for many.

I personally don't condone obtaining a permission slip from the state to OC and/or CC, but like what Doug said in another thread, if it is "needed."We do what we have to do.

Big Gay Al

Michigan Moderator
imported post

Well, you sit ON a motorcycle, you sit IN a car/truck. That's the first most obvious difference to me. In a car, you're only partially visible. ON a motorcycle, you're completely visible to everyone else.

If you're packing openly, EVERYONE can see it, when you're on a motorcycle.

When you're in a car, that's not usually the case.

SpringerXDacp

imported post

sickcowboy wrote:
a motorcycle is not a motor vehicle under michigan law. yeah you need licence, insurance, etc. but falls into diffrent catagory

Under Michigan's No Fault Law, yes, you are correct. However, you may want to review Michigan's Firearms Laws as to what exactly (definition) a vehicle is when it pertains to CC or OC in/on/about vehicles in Michigan. YMMV.

The topic of this thread is: Can you OC on a motorcycle in Michigan? The answer to this is, yes you can, but only if you have a CPL.

warlockmatized

imported post

Big Gay Al wrote:
I still think the law is stupid. :banghead:
I agree. It's is one of the MANY laws that makes us shake our heads and laugh.

NOT 100% sure i would OC on a bike. You know all those looneys that call for "man with a gun" while shopping at say Meijers, or Wally World? Imagaine one of those idiots trying to run you off the road while on your bike OC'ing....YIKES!