• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Airsoft

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

Official IPSC Competitions:

l_030514011219cf363e8b2c33a88b7211.jpg

l_2f6c57424e2e8111530848fa2cab769c.gif

Airsoft "IPSC" Competition:

ipsc_ca1.jpg

Whats wrong with these guys??? :?

AWDstylez

Banned
imported post

How about: guns for people that want to practice tactical situations without danger and with ammo that costs $20 for 10,000 rounds instead of $20 for100 rounds.

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

AWDstylez wrote:
How about: guns for people that want to practice tactical situations without danger and with ammo that costs $20 for 10,000 rounds instead of $20 for100 rounds.

The more I read these websites and forums dedicated to airsoft, the less I would agree with your statement. Do you really think Mr. Ski Mask there is a responsible, average guy that is just trying to save some money while practicing marksmanship? I doubt it.

http://www.redwolfairsoft.com/redwolf/airsoft/ProductDetail?prodID=23579

How exactly are these guys saving money when their fake guns cost just as much as real ones? The one linked is $759, which is the middle of the road as far as prices. Obviously they make cheap ones, but I've also found some a few thousand dollars.

Maybe I should explain my spite for airsoft. I have recently been asked a few times if my open carried gun was an "airsoft". That just irks me. I've also ran into a group of kids at the range renting an ak-47, being complete idiots. When corrected by the range officer for doing something stupid, I heard the response, "hey I know what I'm doing, I have an airsoft ak-47!".

Like I said, I own one myself. It's fun to be able to sit in the living room and plink at a sticky target while I watch TV or read, but I don't pretend it's real :?.I also found out they're good for killing unwanted bugs in the house! You wanna talk about marksmanship practice, try using a relatively inaccurate plastic bb gun to shoot a wasp flying around the window :D.

hsmith

imported post

Waste of money. For mall ninjas only. I don't see any true "training" value in them - at ALL.

Are you practicing with your commando friends with your toys?

I could see if it was at Blackwater running drills, but it isn't. Look at the difference in people doing IPSC v Airsoft in thoe pictures alone.

AWDstylez

Banned
imported post

DreQo wrote:
AWDstylez wrote:

The more I read these websites and forums dedicated to airsoft, the less I would agree with your statement. Do you really think Mr. Ski Mask there is a responsible, average guy that is just trying to save some money while practicing marksmanship? I doubt it.

http://www.redwolfairsoft.com/redwolf/airsoft/ProductDetail?prodID=23579

How exactly are these guys saving money when their fake guns cost just as much as real ones? The one linked is $759, which is the middle of the road as far as prices. Obviously they make cheap ones, but I've also found some a few thousand dollars.

Maybe I should explain my spite for airsoft. I have recently been asked a few times if my open carried gun was an "airsoft". That just irks me. I've also ran into a group of kids at the range renting an ak-47, being complete idiots. When corrected by the range officer for doing something stupid, I heard the response, "hey I know what I'm doing, I have an airsoft ak-47!".

Like I said, I own one myself. It's fun to be able to sit in the living room and plink at a sticky target while I watch TV or read, but I don't pretend it's real :?.I also found out they're good for killing unwanted bugs in the house! You wanna talk about marksmanship practice, try using a relatively inaccurate plastic bb gun to shoot a wasp flying around the window :D.

I can see your point, but you know there's idiots in every group. I'd be equally annoyed by those people, but they can't possibly represent the majority.

I don't think you can deny it as a legitimate sport or at least a hobby. Everyone likes something different.So what if they want to spend $700 on an airsoft gun? Some people that play paintball have thousands into their "fake" guns. I race real cars, I don't make fun of people that race RC cars for being wannabes or because their cars are "fake". They aren't fake, they're just designed to do something different, just like the airsoft guns.

If you're going to make fun of people with "fake" high-end airsoft guns you should also make fun of all the people that own American made junk guns that cost less than the "fake" airsofts. :p jk

Brigdh

imported post

hsmith wrote:
Waste of money. For mall ninjas only. I don't see any true "training" value in them - at ALL.

I could see if it was at Blackwater running drills, but it isn't. Look at the difference in people doing IPSC v Airsoft in thoe pictures alone.
All depends an where you go and who you talk to.

Yes there are quite a few idiots in airsoft. Also in paintball. Also in real steel.

Airsoft was invented in Japan, a country where private firearm ownership does not exist. However, people still wanted to own firearms, so airsoft replicas were invented. Yes, airsoft guns can cost as much as real steel if you want to "trick it out". A good quality airsoft rifle will run about $300.

I think using airsoft in a marksmanship type of competition is a waste. The max range is about 100 yards, the rifles have no recoil, and most magizines hold 100 rounds or more.

Airsoft is fun to play as a modern, adult version of cowboys and indians. Its the same concept behind paintball matches, only with longer ranges and less mess. I happen to play airsoft with hundreds of different people throughout the year including many ex-military. In many ways, airsoft can be more real than IDPA and other competitions because the target shoots back. Its the closest thing a private citizen can get to playing around with MILES.

hsmith

imported post

Brigdh wrote:
hsmith wrote:

All depends an where you go and who you talk to.

Yes there are quite a few idiots in airsoft. Also in paintball. Also in real steel.

Airsoft was invented in Japan, a country where private firearm ownership does not exist. However, people still wanted to own firearms, so airsoft replicas were invented. Yes, airsoft guns can cost as much as real steel if you want to "trick it out". A good quality airsoft rifle will run about $300.

I think using airsoft in a marksmanship type of competition is a waste. The max range is about 100 yards, the rifles have no recoil, and most magizines hold 100 rounds or more.

Airsoft is fun to play as a modern, adult version of cowboys and indians. Its the same concept behind paintball matches, only with longer ranges and less mess. I happen to play airsoft with hundreds of different people throughout the year including many ex-military. In many ways, airsoft can be more real than IDPA and other competitions because the target shoots back. Its the closest thing a private citizen can get to playing around with MILES.
I guess all my views of Airsoft come from internet commando's, so I'll try to keep an open mind :)

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Guy with the ski mask made me all LOL. What dork! I too can see the value in airsoft and have considered one for at home practice. But I have also met people into airsoft who take themselves way too seriously and think because they can shoot an airsoft they know all about handling a .45 semi-auto at the range.

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

Oh, one more reason I have something against airsofties. The one and only person that has ever done that "oh look, I'm grabbing your gun, just kidding haha!" was an airsoftie. The same guy also came out of the bedroom later that night, drunk, with one in his hand (no orange tip, of course). I'm just waiting for one of these idiots to pull their plastic gun on someone and get shot by "real steel".

ScottyT

imported post

There are idiots in every hobby and sport you can think of.

The Utah Airsoft scene that i am very much a part of is not about "wannabes" at all. We have several current and former LEO and Military friends that play with us, the average age is probably 24+ (not 16 like people would think), and our games are much more about having fun and hanging out with friends (read: shooting friends) than developing mad combat skillz! Nobody tries to be a bad-ass, if they do they are generally eased out of fellowship with most teams. Any smack-talk or attitude is in jest only.

There is one local team that is pretty much hard-core wannabes, but they are the exception and most other teams want nothing to do with them.

The guys in the pictures above are probably the ones getting busted for doing stupid crap like playing in public (city parks, etc) and flashing their guns to their friends in public places.

As far as training goes, we don't do any real force-on-force stuff, but I have noticed that I have dramatically improved my point-shooting skills through casual airsofting.

Marco

imported post

The 2004 Overall Steel Challenge winner, Tatsuya Sakai is/was an avid airsoft shooter.
Tatsuya Sakaie native country (Japan) prohibits firearms.

His sponsor was a Japanese Airsoft manufacturer.

Airsoft guns allow you practice in your backyard, indoors, during bad weather and in countries that don't allow firearms ownership.

The top quality airsoft guns aren't cheap but they are accurate within short distances (<40ft), quality ammo is the key.

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

Aran wrote:
Some people just like to have fun and be able to run around shooting their friends. What's the big deal?
...just like laser tag and paint ball and squirt guns, etc. I think the thing that bugs me about airsoft is that they're identical to real firearms. My girlfriend's kid will sometimes pretend that various things are guns, even if it's a piece of paper. He knows to not even point a piece of paper at someone if he's pretending it's a gun. I just don't like that they're running around using toys that look and feel absolutely real and treating them like toys.

nova

imported post

real steel

God I hate it when people use that term...:banghead:

Yeah I own a few, but I don't pretend they're something they're not. They're great for those times I want to plink in my basement and don't want to load up the Speer plastic .44 cartridges to shoot at my cardboard box/newspaper bullet trap :)

But they really are no substitute for actual practice at the range.

Edit: Forgot to say the biggest thing that urks me with airsoft. It gets kids (because admit it...kids...those under 18...are the biggest participants of airsoft) to get in the practice of 1. Pointing a realistic 'firearm' at other people, and 2. pulling the friggen trigger on top of that.

Jim675

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I just took a defensive pistol class through FAS and the instructor said airsoft was a great training aid. Not the guns themselves, put the experience of moving, using cover (even if it is inflatable), and gaining experience with how human opponents move.
I can respect that. I used to join my sons in paintball on ocasion. It was good exercise and it really is an advantage to use sound tactics and work as a team.

vinnie

imported post

I use a cheap($15 from ebay) battery operated airsoft pistol to train my son. I got it when he was almost five . It is a great teaching tool. He learns about range rules,
slide bite, and safety. I set up a BB trap in the dining room and let him go to town. Its cool to hear his now six year old voice call out"man down range" every time he goes to check his targets.