• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Airsoft

Legba

imported post

I had no idea these things were so popular. I use a BB gun for my target-practice-within-city-limits fix, and it only cost about $35-40 new.

-ljp

KnightSG7

imported post

ScottyT wrote:
There are idiots in every hobby and sport you can think of.

The Utah Airsoft scene that i am very much a part of is not about "wannabes" at all. We have several current and former LEO and Military friends that play with us, the average age is probably 24+ (not 16 like people would think), and our games are much more about having fun and hanging out with friends (read: shooting friends) than developing mad combat skillz! Nobody tries to be a bad-ass, if they do they are generally eased out of fellowship with most teams. Any smack-talk or attitude is in jest only.

There is one local team that is pretty much hard-core wannabes, but they are the exception and most other teams want nothing to do with them.

The guys in the pictures above are probably the ones getting busted for doing stupid crap like playing in public (city parks, etc) and flashing their guns to their friends in public places.

As far as training goes, we don't do any real force-on-force stuff, but I have noticed that I have dramatically improved my point-shooting skills through casual airsofting.

THANK YOU......I have been an avid Airsoft player for a couple of years now, yes I agree, you will have the idiots that think they are all badass and know everything.

My team plays at events all over the United States, anywhere from re-creations, to fantasy/sci-fi, to training.

My team consists of all retired military and LEO's, yes, our guns range from $150, to $2700, but we do it because we love it, so im sorry, but unless you have played it, as a team in a real game, you wouldnt understand.

Plain and simple...

There is Operation Irene we go to every year, its quite expensive to get in, but well worth it, it is based on Black Hawk Down, but the real life story, one of the survivors McKnight, hosts the game...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fyd_h5nfXDA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JvGodPkf4t4

You just wouldnt understand......

JDriver1.8t

imported post

KnightSG7 wrote:
ScottyT wrote:
There are idiots in every hobby and sport you can think of.

The Utah Airsoft scene that i am very much a part of is not about "wannabes" at all. We have several current and former LEO and Military friends that play with us, the average age is probably 24+ (not 16 like people would think), and our games are much more about having fun and hanging out with friends (read: shooting friends) than developing mad combat skillz! Nobody tries to be a bad-ass, if they do they are generally eased out of fellowship with most teams. Any smack-talk or attitude is in jest only.

There is one local team that is pretty much hard-core wannabes, but they are the exception and most other teams want nothing to do with them.

The guys in the pictures above are probably the ones getting busted for doing stupid crap like playing in public (city parks, etc) and flashing their guns to their friends in public places.

As far as training goes, we don't do any real force-on-force stuff, but I have noticed that I have dramatically improved my point-shooting skills through casual airsofting.
THANK YOU......I have been an avid Airsoft player for a couple of years now, yes I agree, you will have the idiots that think they are all badass and know everything.

My team plays at events all over the United States, anywhere from re-creations, to fantasy/sci-fi, to training.

My team consists of all retired military and LEO's, yes, our guns range from $150, to $2700, but we do it because we love it, so im sorry, but unless you have played it, as a team in a real game, you wouldnt understand.

Plain and simple...

There is Operation Irene we go to every year, its quite expensive to get in, but well worth it, it is based on Black Hawk Down, but the real life story, one of the survivors McKnight, hosts the game...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fyd_h5nfXDA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JvGodPkf4t4

You just wouldnt understand......

I used to be into airsoft, and play regularly before work and school got too busy. I was with a team that played in tournaments all over the east coast. The average age was probably mid 30s. I was the youngest at 19. I was also the only person that was part of the team that was not LEO, former LEO, or military. The 'game' is infinitely more realistic than paintball, and does give a person some idea of situational awareness, tactical maneuvering, keeping cover, and point shooting accuracy. There will always be stupid people in every hobby and sport.

As far as costs go, I purchased 140,000 rounds for $100 and my rifle for $280. This is all that was required and lasted more than 4 years.

DoubleR

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Airsoft Drills and Training.
I won't get into the "playing airsoft", here. Hobbies are hobbies...
I have been shooting for many years (decades) and have carried for a few years. I try to get to the range every two weeks, but I'm finding that more difficult, recently. That said, I did some research on Airsoft and found that there are some remarkably accurate reproductions out on the market, companies providing professional training and PDs using airsoft for officer training. So, I recently bought a USP Compact - Gas Blow-Back (GBB) airsoft pistol. Pretty much all metal, but the weight and size are identical to an actual USP. The magazine has the weight of a fully loaded one - in fact, the same as my S&W 4513. Opened the box, loaded it up and pressurized the magazine. Very accurateup to40' - that's all the distance I have and for drills and skills all I really need. I'm thinking that this is a viable suppliment to going to the range. NOTICE: You can't replace this with live-fire range time, but it seems to be a good way to keep up the skills. This method of training is being used by PDs to reduce costs and provide one-on-one simulations to street officers. Seems to be good for draw, aim, move & fire.
In addition, I'm going to use this to get my wife into shooting and maybe carrying, in the future. She's all for it and anxious to get started. Getting our schedules together is a bit difficult, right now. Something to think about. Just my 2 cents worth.

Slayer of Paper

imported post

I am considering getting airsoft guns not to replace actual range time, but to supplement it. If I had the time and the money to spend 4+ hours at the range daily, I surely would. Sadly, I don't have either, so I must consider alternatives for increasing my skills- and for additional enjoyment.

Brigdh

imported post

deepdiver wrote:
Turned into a good thread. I'm getting convinced and am going to have to start investigating airsoft more seriously as a training aid.
Some helpful information (I hope).

Please do not buy from walmart/dunhams/etc. Their products are the lowest of the low. I recommend http://www.wisconsinairsoftwars.com/ or http://www.airsoftextreme.com/content/

If you choose another online retailer, I advise you to make sure they are in the US. Customs cracks down on airsoft every once and a while and you may lose your order if you get it from Hong Kong, etc. If that happens, you are SOL.

The orange tip is required by import law to remain painted/attached until the toy (airsoft replicas are technically toys) has been sold. The end user is free to remove it.

Please do not shoot any airsoft bb weighing less than .20 g. Anything less may break inside of the toy, trashing it. Airsoft Elite, Fidragon, and Excel are all good brands of bbs. Flying Color is a decent low end brand. Real cheap bbs may shatter.

Eye protection is important. Anything ANSI Z87.1 (sometimes Z87.1+) labeled is safe for eye protection. This includes most shop safety glasses, shooting glasses, and paintball goggles.

That should get you started.

asforme

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Brigdh wrote:
http://www.wisconsinairsoftwars.com/
That's so cute, they have their toy guns categorized as "weapons".:lol:

As for hobbies it looks like a lot of fun, and could do well for cheap practice, especially for things like point shooting which require a lot of lead down range. But come on, at least be honest with yourselves. Weapons. This is why people keep asking if I'm carrying a real gun.

ScottyT

imported post

My favorite US retailers are http://www.airsoftgi.com, and http://www.weaponblender.com

Anyone looking for quality on a budget should look at Echo 1 and JG brand rifles, I have one of each and both of them have well over 30,000 rounds through with zero problems. The pistol I play with is a Tokyo Marui GBB (gas blowback) P226 -- it is a 1-1 replica of the Sig P226, right down to the trademarks. The weight is a bit different, but it has a good heft to it and is remarkably accurate out to 10-15 yards (accurate enough to hit a man-sized target out to 100 feet or more).

KnightSG7

imported post

Yeah, plus, you can always get the MBK (metal body kit) and it will be heavier.

And yes they can do quite a bit of damage, my M700 is shooting 675 FPSwith .25's,I MUST use a minimum engagement distance of 100 feet because of the damage it can inflict.

ScottyT

imported post

KnightSG7 wrote:
Yeah, plus, you can always get the MBK (metal body kit) and it will be heavier.

And yes they can do quite a bit of damage, my M700 is shooting 675 FPSwith .25's,I MUST use a minimum engagement distance of 100 feet because of the damage it can inflict.
Wow! You are shooting hot! :what:

Our limits are 400 FPS on battle rifles, around 500 fps for sniper rifles.

Damn...

impulse

imported post

Please do not relate paintball to airsoft. We try hard to steer our image away from being a "war" game.