• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

NRA at Kittery Trading Post

Deuce1911

imported post

well i went to the kittery trading post this evening to see Wayne LaPeirre and get him to sign my copy of his new book. I had read in couple places that open carrying into KTP was acceptable, i even carried in there earlier this morning when i was picking up a few things. At any rate after standing in line for about 30 -40 minutes i was approached by a man claiming to be head of security and he asked me to remove my 1911 from its serpa holster and just hold it. I asked why and he said that it was part of a ATF law concerning KTP. I almost put up a fight seeing as my handgun sercured in its holster was less of a threat than the 30 or so people around us handling all sorts of firearms at that exact moment. In the end i obliged the man and removed my magazine which i placed in my pocket then i unholstered my 1911 and locked the slide back and held it in my hand. I ve never seen a sign at KTP saying no firearms aloud. Ive walked in there many times with a gun for trade-ins and what not. Any way thought i would post it seeing as it was kinda funny that i was not aloud to carry at an NRA event. However i do understand why so its not like im angry about it either. It was nice to see all the people that turned out for the book signing tho!

Maineiac

imported post

Wow... security asking people to remove a loaded weapon from a holster and "just hold it".... BRILLIANT. That'll make things much safer for everyone. :banghead:

unarmed in westchester

imported post

Deuce1911...sorry to hear about your experience. Glad to hear you enjoyed the book signing though. At least your day wasnt totally ruined.

My Fiancee and i did a Maine/NH trip back in September for her birthday. We both love Maine and i planned to take her hot hair balooning. The weather was misarable, so that was cancelled. She had told me about KTP (as she is from Vt and knows ME well) and i had never been, so we went. Needeless to say, i headed straight upstairs and right to heaven, i mean the firearms section lol. I was more than impressed by their selection, both new and used, of pistols and long guns, not to mention equipment. The staff was very friendly, helpful and knowledgable for sure.

It surprises me that they would not allow the open carrying of firearms, and i did not notice any signs either.

P.S.-Theres a good Seafood joint accross the street from KTP lol.

Deuce1911

imported post

well i know some people who have carried in there before plus ive done it and never had a problem until then, so i dk. anyway i hope that seafood place you are talking about is BOB'S CLAM HUT and no the Weathervane :what: BOBS is awesome! and its been there since like 1950. weather vane makes me sick cuz they use too much grease but if you like it power to ya! KTP is a good place to buy some firearms. come on back to my state anytime!

unarmed in westchester

imported post

Deuce1911 wrote:
well i know some people who have carried in there before plus ive done it and never had a problem until then, so i dk. anyway i hope that seafood place you are talking about is BOB'S CLAM HUT and no the Weathervane :what: BOBS is awesome! and its been there since like 1950. weather vane makes me sick cuz they use too much grease but if you like it power to ya! KTP is a good place to buy some firearms. come on back to my state anytime!

Deuce...it was DEFINATELY Bobs! I knew it was an easy name, how the hell could i forget Bobs lol? The place was clean, the food was amazing, the atmosphere was nice and the staff were great. We actually got the Maine beer sampler...it was so good i had taken a picture of it lol. We fell in love with Shipyard and drank it all weekend lol.

Anyway, we love Maine, so im sure we'll be back up in the spring or maybe before. Kittery Trading Post is an awesome store, but you may want to reserve an entire day to go there, thats for sure!

Deuce1911

imported post

i go to KTP alot i live about 7 minutes away so its pretty nice. Shipyard is good! they brew some great beer and im glad to hear it was bobs! Do you have a CWP for New York? if you do how difficult is it to get cuz im getting ahold of some states like CT NH VA maybe MA and i go to NY sometimes too.

unarmed in westchester

imported post

Deuce...no i do not have a CWP for NY, i only have target/hunting. New York has VERY strict gun laws and im pretty sure you will NOT be able to obtain one if you do not reside in NY.

Deuce1911

imported post

wait you have to have a permit to target shoot or hunt? wow what happend to right to keep and bear arms lol. sorry to hear that buddy. my friends father has a CWP for NY but he lives there and hes an ex-cop so that was prolly easy for him. apparently the notion that cops make better gun owners than civilians is still prevalent. well maybe the next time you come up to maine you let me know and i can let you use my M4 with mounted grenade launcher.

unarmed in westchester

imported post

Deuce1911 wrote:
wait you have to have a permit to target shoot or hunt? wow what happend to right to keep and bear arms lol. sorry to hear that buddy. my friends father has a CWP for NY but he lives there and hes an ex-cop so that was prolly easy for him. apparently the notion that cops make better gun owners than civilians is still prevalent. well maybe the next time you come up to maine you let me know and i can let you use my M4 with mounted grenade launcher.
Yeah, crazy isnt it? You should see how many options were on the application. Target/hunting, premise carry, employment, retired leo, corrections, etc, etc, etc.

Yes, it is very easy for retired LEO's to obtain a CWP in NY. However, they still have to jump through most of the hoops as us lowly civilians lol. They have to fill out all the paperwork, get the references and go meet with a Pistol License Detective. Yeah, ask any instructor who has had LEO's as students and see what they have to say. I have heard some pretty funny (and scary) stories, not to mention that some are not the best shot. One story that comes to mind is of an LEO that was close to retirement and was at the range. His firearm was actually stuck in his holster from the years of accumulated debris from not un-holstering the weapon!

Id love to do some shooting with ya next time im up in ME, it sure as hell beats NY!

summerof95

imported post

I've actually spoken to an employee about their policy regarding firearms.
He told me that while the open carry of a loaded weapon is not allowed, their policy is to tell armed customers to conceal the weapon, rather than unload it.

Now I'm curious, though... You need a permit to CC on public property, but if you're on private property, and the ownership instructs you to CC, can you?

Deuce1911

imported post

if the owner says you can i would but i would also get it in writing just to be safe. and as to there policy i have oced in there since the incident and no one has said anything. and even if they asked me to cc i wouldnt simply because maine law says that any such policy must be posted in a noticable place to the public.

summerof95

imported post

I imagine that if you refuse to honor their store policy, they'd probably ask you to leave.

At that point, remaining on their property becomes an act of trespass.
They would then be legally justified in removing you from the store by force, or requesting the local police to do the same (although then it would probably involve handcuffs).

Deuce1911

imported post

yes but by law they are supposed to post policy for the public to see. so then by asking me to leave based on a policy that isnt posted is like asking me to leave because im wearing a shirt they dont like. im not causing any legal problems. im simply doing somthing they dont like. its a precedent set by the state, "Every citizen has a right to keep and bear arms and this right shall never be questioned." When does a place of business stop being just that and become private property? thats why policy must be posted. Just like "No Shoes, No Shirt, No Service." Either way i would leave when asked on the bases of them being asses who would no longer get my business nor the business of those i would speak to about the incident. im not saying im right or wrong just thinkin out loud.

jay75009

imported post

i've never had a problem at KTP, i've purchased at least 15 firearms since i was 21 there, i know the shooting sports manager and all and they are usualy pretty relaxed. might have just been because of the book signing. only time i've ever been approached for OC in KTP was when they had a new greeter, who asked me if my weapon was loaded, but his question was quickly shot down by someone at customer service that said "hes all set" , great place though, wish they had a larger used selection for pistols though.