• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

kimber ultra carry

rangerdavid

imported post

sorry, i'm not familiar with them. kimber as a brand has a very very good reputation though. personally i carry Sig p229 chambered in 40S&W.

ThunderRanch

imported post

heavy wrote:
are these pistols worth what they sell for?

As they say "beauty is in the eye of the beholder". I have owned several Kimbers, and my current BUG is the Utra Carry CDP II with Crimson Trace Laser Grips. Are they worht what they sell for? I would say yes from the standpoint of the "mods" that are already standard on the gun. You could certainly buy a less expensive gun, and it would most likely serve you well, but if you started to add modifications to your gun, you would find that you fairly quickly had spent more than what the Kimber cost in the first place.

I do realize that there are folks who have had issues with their Kimbers (as with any other gun). I have put roughly 5000 rounds through mine without the first malfunction of any sort. I did follow the recommended break in procedure to the letter.

Its all in what you are comfortable with. If you are going to spend that kind of money, the Kimber Ultra is a great choice. Springfield Armory makes a great sub compact .45 for about the same money and it is also a great choice. Or you could pony up the big bucks and get the Wilson Combat sub compact for about twice the cost!

911junkie

imported post

Just picked one up this week. LOVE it. Feels great in the hand. Extremely accurate for a 3" barrel. Gotta love the punch of that .45ACP.

First thing I did was take those beautiful rosewood grips off and replace with a set of Hogue grips. Much more comfortable and doesn't slip.

swoolard

imported post

Keep those grips. If you ever have to pawn or sell it because money gets tight (we all end up ther some time or another), keeping it original will keep the value up!

911junkie

imported post

totally agree. Bought a Wilson 7 rd mag and keeping both the orig grips and orig mag.

ed

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
imported post

I love my Ultra Carry II. It is my every day carry and is VERY accurate.. even with the laser off! I use HST's as my defence ammo. Kimber is used by the LA Swat Team.

A new pistol range (very elite) is going to open soon near me and a custom made /personalized Kimber 1911 is one of the "gifts" they give you with a founders membership.