• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

I Found a county that may be in conflict with Idaho's newest Laws

G

imported post

Madison County Ordinance #171. I cannot find its wording on the website:

http://www.co.madison.id.us/

But, the impression that I get is that "posession of a firearm, explosive", etc. is banned in a lot of buildings around Rexburg, and other county buildings. Its a Misdemeanor. This includes the hospital (which, I believe is a private building)

Doesnt this seem to be part of the law passed earlier this year; the one about No local government can make any law stricter than the state law?

If not, sorry. If so, Where do I go from here?? Id like to get this fixed without a fuss, court case, lawsuit, etc.

Thanks,
Jon.

IndianaBoy79

imported post

Most of the time, it can be fixed without a lawsuit. A lot of people on OCDO here in Idaho and elsewhere have changed company and government policies. Is this a city law? I would suggest writing a letter to the city council to start with. Explain your the law and your position and ask that it be repealed. Also write the police and ask them if they intend to enforce this law (we have laws here in Boise that are still on the books, but unenforceable because of the new state preemption).

If that doesn't work, I'd suggest actually attending a meeting, with several other people in support of you. We'd have to take it from there but I think this is a good start.

G

imported post

No, this is county ordinance, not city. Ill make an appointment with the commissioners, but I dont see is going far, as Im not a resident of Madison county. Same with the meetings. I work up there every day, so itd be nice to not have to worry about this.

Ill see where I can get, and keep ya'll posted.

IdahoCorsair

State Researcher
imported post

It's an illegal/unenforcable law. Boise still has a law on the books last time I checked saying concealed carry was a misdemeanor with or without a permit. They arrogantly and stubbornly refuse to get rid of it even though they have NEVER enforced it (to my knowledge... and now they can't anyway). Just a bit of liberal/hippie arrogant in-your-face rebellion is my guess.

G

imported post

Update: The wife and I took the NRA sponsored class over the weekend. Not OC friendly IMHO. The county deputy that they brought in said its still on the books for the courthouse, Law Enforcement buildings, and the hospital. I tried (to no avail) to change his mind about the hospital. He did say the Library is no longer an issue (referring to an earlier thread)

I know what ya mean about the Arrogence. Its everywhere on the local levels, I was totally suprised when I started to detect it too.
Ill keep looking into it.