• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

The Reason I Support Open Carry

Phoenixphire

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I origianlly posted this in the comments section of a editorial in a Michigan university student newsletter. This editorial was about the Hastings get-together, and expressed a strong anti-firearm position.

I wanted to post it here as well, just to share my thoughts with you guys as well, and to let everyone know where I stand:

I would like to tell you why I support the Right to Keep and Bear Arms: I am a free man, living in a free society.

Before you think that this is the "I do it because I can" position being repeated, I recommend that you take a moment to think about what being a free person really, truly means.

Having a free society is not about being able to go on a vacation to a neighboring state without a travel visa, or to start a website without first getting a Media Permit from the Department of Journalism and Information.

Those things are part of a free society, yes, but they are the benefits of it.

What people have forgotten are the responsibilities of being a free citizen. A free citizen realizes that he bears a burden to himself, his family, and his community. He or she knows that they are, ultimately, INDIVIDUALLY RESPONSIBLE for the security, preservation, and perpetuation of these entities.

A free citizen does not depend on others for his safety, his well-being, or his substance until he is no longer able to provide these things for him or herself. A free citizen also recognizes his obligation, as a member of a free society, to provide those things, to the best of his or her abilities, to those who can not provide for themselves.

I do not allow my fear to override my responsibilities. And yes, I am afraid. The nightmare is that I might actually have to use my firearm one day. However, I would much rather be prepared. The alternative is to find the nightmare become a reality, and not be armed, because I let my fear control my actions.

In the end, the reason I bear arms is that I am a free citizen. I accept my responsibilities to stand and defend myself, my family, and my community against those who would harm them.

Weak 9mm

imported post

Nice, I'm sure that was helpful for many of the students to read. Maybe it will change (Or reinforce) some of their thoughts on the matter.