• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

help me pick a pistol

unreconstructed1

imported post

while I love my C9 and I still plan to carry it when my permit arrives, certain factors have prompted me to pick another pistol to carry most of the time. among the reasons for this decision are the fact that I would like to have something with a little more capacity, and something with a larger amount of aftermarket support. here are the qualities I a looking for:

• capacity- I want something with 10+1 or greater capacity.
  • price. while my first choice of pistol would be a 1911, but I really can't lay down 700+ right now
  • SA/DA, with an exposed hammer. just a personal preference
  • aftermarket support. one of my biggest complaints is the fact that holster selection for the C9 is pathetically low. I would also like a pistol that I could buy one of those internal lasers for
  • caliber- I would prefer something in .40 or .45
any suggestions would be helpful.

MITCH

imported post

One that meets ALL of your requirements is the CZ in either mod. 75B or Mod. 2075 (Rami). I have both and of the 25 or so pistols I've owned, these rank in the top 5.

Mitch

Tomahawk

imported post

unreconstructed1 wrote:
price. while my first choice of pistol would be a 1911, but I really can't lay down 700+ right now

If you really want an M1911, you should be able to find one for a lot less than that if you shop around. I think the Rock Island Armory basic GI models can be found for less than $500.

I just hate to see somebody denied their M1911.

Dustin

imported post

1911's UNDER $700

pix2053346156.jpg

Springfield 1911 GI Parkerized 45 NR! NIB FREE SHP http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=106518548

pix2053346953.jpg

Springfield 1911 A1 .45 Milspec Parkerized LOADED!http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=106518552

pix2053347921.jpg

Taurus PT 1911 45 W/Trijicon Nite Sites! FREE SHIP

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=106518608

Shooters Arms 1911 Military 45ACP.

http://www.jgsales.com/product_info.php/products_id/1745

TAURUS 1911 45 ACP 5" 8 ROUND
http://dynamicarmament.com/items/handguns/taurus-handguns/taurus-1911-45-acp-5-8-round-blue-ti191101-detail.htm

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

unreconstructed1 wrote:
while I love my C9 and I still plan to carry it when my permit arrives, certain factors have prompted me to pick another pistol to carry most of the time. among the reasons for this decision are the fact that I would like to have something with a little more capacity, and something with a larger amount of aftermarket support. here are the qualities I a looking for:
  • capacity- I want something with 10+1 or greater capacity.
  • price. while my first choice of pistol would be a 1911, but I really can't lay down 700+ right now
  • SA/DA, with an exposed hammer. just a personal preference
  • aftermarket support. one of my biggest complaints is the fact that holster selection for the C9 is pathetically low. I would also like a pistol that I could buy one of those internal lasers for
  • caliber- I would prefer something in .40 or .45
any suggestions would be helpful.
I'm a little confused as you want a 10+1 or more capacity but say a 1911 would be your first choice. Unless you get something like a hi-cap Para Ordinance 1911, you are going to to 7+1 or 8+1 in a 1911.

Anway, taking the rest of what you are looking for, I would suggest a Sig Sauer P226 or P229 Certified Pre-Owned (CPO) in .40 cal.

Here is a grade 1, P226, .40 cal, 12+1 magazine CPO on gunbroker with a $519 buy it now price. Actually, if my fiancee's house had already sold and closed I would have already bid on this one:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=106252116

Prophet

imported post

Gun shows area great place to pick up a weapon. I got my GI .45 for $380 at a gun show last year. Basically new. The previous owner had bought it, couldn't afford it, had to sell it back and I got the benefit of a nearly new gun for almost $200 under MSRP.

eyesopened

imported post

MITCH wrote:
One that meets ALL of your requirements is the CZ in either mod. 75B or Mod. 2075 (Rami). I have both and of the 25 or so pistols I've owned, these rank in the top 5.

Mitch

I agree, a CZ definitely fits the criteria. They don't have a huge aftermarket following but isn't horrible either.

I have a chubby for a CZ PO1 and I've seen them in the $500 range.

EDIT: Other than being a striker fired, the XD45C would fit your needs too. It's a .45 and with the 10rd mag, it is 10+1, but with the 13rd mag it is 13+1. Lasermax does have an internal laser that replaces the guide rod and aftermarket support is good.

David.Car

imported post

You are also describing Sigs to the T. DA/SA exposed hamer. Decocker lever makes it real convenient too. Depending on model, any caliber you want. My P226 is 18+1 flush fit 9mm and a dream to shoot.

Edit: P226 comes in 9mm, .357 and .40 as well.

P220 in .45.

P229 in 9mm, .357, and .40.

Also have 1911 models.

unreconstructed1

imported post

deepdiver wrote:
I'm a little confused as you want a 10+1 or more capacity but say a 1911 would be your first choice.

well, honestly it's all give and take. If I had teh option, I would just go with a double stack Hi cap 1911 base gun, but that's not in teh cards right now. I understand that with a standard 1911, I'll lose on the hi cap, and if I go with most ofthe hi cap options, I'll lose teh exposed hammer or the SA/DA. all I'm looking for is what fit's closest to my wish list. honestly, ya'll have given me a lot to consider. thanks for all the help. right now, it looks like I'll either be going with a Bersa .40, a rock island 1911, or a CZ.

David.Carwrote:
Decocker lever makes it real convenient too

that's pretty much most of the reason why I want an exposed hammer SA/DA in the first place. in order to alow me to decock the gun when I feel teh need to.

Dustin

imported post

unreconstructed1 wrote:
well, honestly it's all give and take. If I had teh option, I would just go with a double stack Hi cap 1911 base gun, but that's not in teh cards right now. I understand that with a standard 1911, I'll lose on the hi cap, and if I go with most ofthe hi cap options, I'll lose teh exposed hammer or the SA/DA. all I'm looking for is what fit's closest to my wish list. honestly, ya'll have given me a lot to consider. thanks for all the help. right now, it looks like I'll either be going with a Bersa .40, a rock island 1911, or a CZ.

that's pretty much most of the reason why I want an exposed hammer SA/DA in the first place. in order to alow me to decock the gun when I feel teh need to.

teh ?

In case you just might be wondering, purposefully misspelling such a simple word as "the" just makes you look retarded.

BTW Rock Island isn't the best quality when it comes to 1911, but they are all under $500.

I wouldn't own one unless someone gave it to me, thenI would still trade it in as a down payment for a higher quality one.

RedKnightt

imported post

I carry a Baby Eagle in .45. I wanted something in .45 ACP, and I like that it has a little higher capacity (10+1) than an 1911 (I have one of those, too :D). It has a manual safety, is DA/SA with an exposed hammer. It's a pretty rugged gun, a proven design (based on the CZ-75), and most importantly (to me), it fits my hands very well and is very comfortable to shoot. I also really like the way it looks, but that is a very secondary characteristic for me. The after market support is not as strong. There is a laser available to fit it, but not laser grips (yet). I've seen holsters from Don Hume and Black Hills Leather, and I'm in the midst of getting Bluegrass to make one for me if he can get a mold.

Here's a review of it by R.K. Campbell:

http://www.gunweek.com/2005/feature0501.html

--RedKnightt--

Zombie Squad has it right: “We hold fast to the belief that if you are prepared for a scenario where the walking corpses of your family and neighbors are trying to eat you alive, you will be prepared for almost anything.”

cREbralFIX

imported post

SIG P226, P228, P229, P250

...or just get a Glock 17 or 19 and be done with it.

A buddy of mine like his HK USP Compact, but I find them a bit wide.

Another friend likes his XD 45 Compact: 10+1 capacity in G19 height.

The SIG P220, of course, is the best...or is it the Glock 19? Or the Browning Hi-Power? I can never get it straight :)

Weak 9mm

imported post

I haven't owned one, but I do like the EAA Witness pistols. Those would fit the bill I think, although I'd go with a 10mm. :cool:

Marco

imported post

Weak 9mm wrote:
I haven't owned one, but I do like the EAA Witness pistols. Those would fit the bill I think, although I'd go with a 10mm. :cool:
If you go this route order a set of replacement mag and recoil springs from Wolff, the factory ones aren't reliable (IMHO).

eyesopened

imported post

Weak 9mm wrote:
Aren't the EA Witness just copies of the CZ? Might as well get the original if you ask me.

icode

imported post

Ruger P94 in .40 or P95 for your 9mm needs. I just picked up another Ruger, the P95 for less than $400.00. I've had my P94 for over 7 years and still love it.

ETA: I can't spell :?