• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

BLACKHAWK Serpa CQC Recall

Mike M.

imported post

Anyone who has a BLACKHAWK SERPA CQC holster for their Smith & Wesson M&P, or Glock 20/21, check out BLACKHAWK's website for more information. The holster has been recalled due to the "high wall" model causing accidental discharge while re-holstering. Im not sure if this was previously posted or not, but I dont remember seeing it.

To make it easier, here is the article directfrom BLACKHAWK's Website.

[align=center][font=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]BLACKHAWK!® Safety Recall Announcement[/font]
[/align]

Holster.jpg

HiLowWall.jpg

[align=justify]BLACKHAWK! Products Group™ is announcing a Safety Recall affecting two holster groups that fit the Smith and Wesson M&P Pistol in any caliber or configuration. Complete details are enclosed in the official announcement reproduced below.

Please note that this Updated Safety Recall Notice issued on 07Dec2007
for certain “High Wall” versions of both the BLACKHAWK! Carbon Fiber SERPA and the Blackhawk Sportster holsters, supersedes all previously released notices about this recall (only).

This update adds two additional Component Part Numbers (C1215-S and C1215-L-S) to the two (C1215 and C1215-L) that were contained in the preceding notice(s).

Please read and follow this Notice to determine if your holster is among the limited group affected by this recall.

This safety recall notice applies only to the “High Wall” versions of BLACKHAWK! Carbon Fiber SERPA Holster Models 410013BK-L, 410013BK-R, 410513BK-L, 410513BK-R, 410513CT-L, 410513CT-R and 990984CT-L (only) and BLACKHAWK! Sportster Holster Models 413513BK-L and 413513BK-R manufactured by BLACKHAWK! Products Group.
[/align]

[align=justify]Note that these holsters are intended to fit only Glock Models 20 and 21 and any caliber or configuration of the Smith & Wesson M&P. These holsters will be marked in regard to what they will “fit”. These markings will state: “Glock 20/21”; “Glock 20/21 S&W M&P; or “Glock 20/21 S&W M&P .45”. No other holster models, sizes or “fits” are affected by, or included in, this recall.

As a result of a single incident, it has been determined that employing certain movements when attempting to place the Smith and Wesson M&P Pistol (in any caliber or configuration) into these “High Wall” holsters can cause the handgun to engage that “High Wall and unexpectedly discharge if there is a round in the chamber and the trigger is in what Smith & Wesson calls “the striker fire action mode”. A discharge or “firing” of the weapon in this manner could cause property damage or personal injury or death to the user and/or others.

As such, and regardless of what firearm you are using with the holster, you should immediately determine if your holster is included in the two groups of holsters affected by this recall as described in this bulletin. If it is, you must stop using it and return it to BLACKHAWK! Products Group by following the procedure contained in this bulletin. Upon receipt by BLACKHAWK! Products Group you will be sent a replacement model for the same application as the holster that was returned.
[/align]
[align=justify]Please follow these steps to determine if your holster is among the limited group affected by this recall notice. In all cases, perform these checks with an empty (NO FIREARM INSTALLED) holster.

Step One: Note: While Model Number information is included on the original factory packaging that accompanied your BLACKHAWK! Carbon Fiber SERPA Holster or Blackhawk Sportster Holster, it is possible for a given package to contain a holster other than what the packaging indicates it to be. Therefore, Blackhawk recommends that you do not check against the packaging but against the holster body itself.

Compare the “fit” information molded into the bottom of the rear wall (backside) of your holster body as shown in Illustration #1 to the “fit” information that is also contained in this bulletin.

Look for you holster’s Component Part Number, which is also molded into the bottom of the rear wall (backside) of the holster body as shown in Illustration #1. If that number is either C1215 as shown in Illustration #1 or C1215-L, C1215-S, or C1215-L-S, none of which are illustrated here (but would be located in the same spot as shown for C1215), please proceed to Step Two.

Step Two: Compare your C1215, C1215-L, C1215-S, or C1215-L-S-marked holster(s) to the two holsters shown in Illustration #2.

If yours is a “High Wall” version as seen in the left side of the picture, immediately stop using it and return it to Blackhawk Products Group by following the procedure contained in this bulletin.

If yours is a “Low Wall” version as seen in the right side of the picture, it is not affected by this recall.

Please note that this safety recall notice does not apply to “Low Wall” versions of any of the holster models contained in this bulletin. You should return your Carbon Fiber SERPA Holster or Sportster Holster only if it is a “High Wall” version marked with either component number C1215, C1215-L, C1215-S, or C1215-L-S as shown in Illustrations #1 and #2. Also note that while this safety recall notice involves (only) certain BLACKHAWK! Carbon Fiber SERPA Holsters, the SERPA mechanism was not the cause of, or any part of the reasoning for, this recall.

If you have any questions regarding this safety recall or you need to return your holster as part of this recall, please contact BLACKHAWK! Products Group at 1-800-694-5263 x3975 (phone), 888-830-2013 (fax) or cs@blackhawk.com (eMail) to receive a return authorization. Additional copies of this safety recall notice can also be obtained by contacting BLACKHAWK!Products Group at those numbers.

[/align]

kurtmax_0

imported post

Wow. Glad I have a G19! I've tried to catch the trigger on the holster while holstering (obviously while unloaded) and it just can't be done. It's designed pretty well. Too bad they missed it on the g21s!

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

Blackhawk holster recalls: 1

Safariland holster recalls: 0

/instigation

kurtmax_0

imported post

DreQo wrote:

/instigation
Yes we know you hate Blackhawk. You need to make a standard 'hate' post for every CQC thread that we can post for you so you don't need to expend the energy.

I would like to point out that many holsters will snag a trigger upon holstering, and you should really check it out yourself before using a holster.

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

kurtmax_0 wrote:
DreQo wrote:

/instigation
Yes we know you hate Blackhawk. You need to make a standard 'hate' post for every CQC thread that we can post for you so you don't need to expend the energy.

I would like to point out that many holsters will snag a trigger upon holstering, and you should really check it out yourself before using a holster.

:pI don't HATE Blackhawk. I just think they're over-hyped.

Anyway you do make a good point. I had an old holster that had a thumb-break strap that would find its way into the trigger guard when reholstering. It never did cause a discharge, but I'm sure it could.

So what is the M&P's "striker fire action mode" that they refer to in the recall?

Dahwg

imported post

DreQo wrote:
kurtmax_0 wrote:
DreQo wrote:

/instigation

:pI don't HATE Blackhawk. I just think they're over-hyped.

Anyway you do make a good point. I had an old holster that had a thumb-break strap that would find its way into the trigger guard when reholstering. It never did cause a discharge, but I'm sure it could.

So what is the M&P's "striker fire action mode" that they refer to in the recall?
I own both and use both for different purposes, but to be honest, I'd have to agree with DreQo, I think the Blackhawk is over-hyped. If I compare them side by side, the Safariland is just a better holster all around- more secure, it's a true Level II, it's more comfortable, it's more durable, it's lined with suede, so it's kind to my weapon's finish- I just wish it weren't so bulky. :(