Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ammunition?

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

I recently purchased my first handgun, and am about to start training with a firearms instructor.

What I am trying to figure out is what brand of ammo is of sufficient quality, as so that I will not have to be overly concerned with residue, etc.

My firearm is a 9mm Springfield Armory XD.

I found Natchez Shooter's Supply, selling CCI Blazer for 7.99/box, 50 rounds.

http://www.natchezss.com/product.cfm...mp;src=tpCtgAm

Anyone have experience with this ammo?

NOTE: No, I am not using this as carry ammo. This will be for rounds down range practice.

Post imported post

I just got an XD-9 service a few weeks ago and it eats up whatever practice ammo I feed it (UMC, WWB, even Wolf). 500+ rounds and not a hiccup (except for when my girlfriend limp-wristed it. but that was her fault). As far as practice goes, just go with whatever fits your budget. I think you can get one of those big yellow 250 rd UMC cases at Walmart pretty cheap, if you want to shop locally.

As far as residue goes, that's what cleaning is for. All ammo is going to dirty up your gun somehow. After all the crud comes off, it should look good as new. Cleaning is half the fun!

Post imported post

Winchester 165 Gr. 40 S&W. Target/Practice rounds.

Walmart sells the 100 rnd boxes for $27

Post imported post

Phoenixphire wrote:
    I recently purchased my first handgun, and am about to start training with a firearms instructor.

What I am trying to figure out is what brand of ammo is of sufficient quality, as so that I will not have to be overly concerned with residue, etc.

My firearm is a 9mm Springfield Armory XD.

I found Natchez Shooter's Supply, selling CCI Blazer for 7.99/box, 50 rounds.

http://www.natchezss.com/product.cfm...mp;src=tpCtgAm

Anyone have experience with this ammo?

NOTE: No, I am not using this as carry ammo. This will be for rounds down range practice.
    A range buddy of mine has put about 800 rounds od blazer thru his Mil. Pro and hasn't had one issue.

A Clean weapon will eat anything. Plus CCI has been in the business for a good long time now.

Post imported post

Yes, I have shot CCI Blazer Brass in both 9mm and .45. Works fine. I did have one box of CCI with several bad rounds in it. But out of the thousands I have shot and have seen friends shoot, I can live with it. But I do always take at least 2 boxes of different lots to the range now in case it happens again.

My and my friends have yet to shoot something that won't feed in our XDs.
    Bob Owens @ Bearing Arms (paraphrased): "These people aren't against violence; they're very much in favor of violence. They're against armed resistance."

Post imported post

The ammo referenced by the OP is not the Blazer Brass but has Al cases. IMO this is a very economical buy and works well in my 9's (G17, SA EMP). Not liked by range scavengers so much, though. :-)

I haven't made a serious study, but it seems to be somewhat cleaner than the economy WWB and Federal rounds, and much cleaner than the stuff from Eastern Europe. As far as accuracy goes, I haven't found a 9mm load yet that isn't a lot better than I am with any given gun.

Another good value, when it is in stock--which seems to be rarely these days, is the Fiocchi $190/1000 round lot at Dan's Ammo. http://www.dansammo.com/ammo.asp

Founder's Club Member PrayingForWar's Avatar

Post imported post

All of my XD's have gobbled up everything I've fed them. My Taurus PT99 has given me a hard time with blazer, but eats up everything else from hydrashok to wolf. I like S&B ammo, it's a little on the dirty side, but it's never let me down.
    If you ladies leave my island, if you survive recruit training. You will become a minister of death, PRAYING FOR WAR...

Post imported post

With my Norinco Model 213 or my Ruger P89 (both 9mm Luger), I use 115-grain Winchester FMJ's for practice, and 147-grain Winchester Ranger SXT JHP's for personal defense.

With my Glock 23 (.40 S&W), I use 180-grain Winchester FMJ's for practice, and 165-grain Winchester Ranger SXT JHP's for personal defense.

Post imported post

Walmart - Winchester White Box 115gr FMJ

At around $18/100rds I have yet to find cheaper quality 9mm target ammo. It used to be even cheaper than that actually.

For self defense, I suggest Double Tap:

http://www.doubletapammo.com/php/cat...hp?cPath=21_37

If you are, for whatever reason, against Double Tap, PM me. There are decent places to get extremely inexpensive defensive ammo in 9mm. Way cheaper than Winchester SXT's, that's for sure.

State Researcher

Post imported post

*sigh* Holy crap Weak 9mm, he very specifically asked a question about PRACTICE ammo. You don't have to advertise for DP in EVERY slightly ammo-related thread. :P

Anyway anothervote for Winchester White Box here. WWB is the ONLY "cheap" ammo I've ever fired that I haven't gotten more than 2 bad rounds per 100. Every other cheap ammo (blazer, wolf, etc.) has had multiple bad rounds in a box at one time or another.

If you're worried about cleanliness, stayaway from wolf. It's decent cheap ammo if that's all that's available, but it's smoky and leaves a lot of crap in, on, and around your gun.

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

I add a +1 for the WWB. Especially if you're shooting at my range and not picking up your brass!

Post imported post

DreQo wrote:
    *sigh* Holy crap Weak 9mm, he very specifically asked a question about PRACTICE ammo. You don't have to advertise for DP in EVERY slightly ammo-related thread. :P

Anyway anothervote for Winchester White Box here. WWB is the ONLY "cheap" ammo I've ever fired that I haven't gotten more than 2 bad rounds per 100. Every other cheap ammo (blazer, wolf, etc.) has had multiple bad rounds in a box at one time or another.

If you're worried about cleanliness, stayaway from wolf. It's decent cheap ammo if that's all that's available, but it's smoky and leaves a lot of crap in, on, and around your gun.
    On that note, I've NEVER had a bad round of WWB. Maybe that's just because I feed it to Glocks though.

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

My range ammo of choice is Remington UMC. The 250-pack is comparable to 5 boxes of WWB where they're sold side-by-side, maybe a buck more. However UMC fires cleaner and isn't as snappy as WWB, so it's more fun to shoot. My $0.02

Post imported post

The best ammo is always the ammo you make yourself.

Reloaded ammo is cheaper, and if done properly superior.
    Answer every question about open carry in Michigan you ever had with one convenient and free book- http://libertyisforeveryone.com/open-carry-resources/

The complete and utter truth can be challenged from every direction and it will always hold up. Accordingly there are few greater displays of illegitimacy than to attempt to impede free thought and communication.

Post imported post

Liko81 wrote:
    My range ammo of choice is Remington UMC. The 250-pack is comparable to 5 boxes of WWB where they're sold side-by-side, maybe a buck more. However UMC fires cleaner and isn't as snappy as WWB, so it's more fun to shoot. My $0.02
    Speaking of Rem. UMC. This site has some CHEAP UMC ammo in the 250 pack.

http://www.northwestshootersupply.co...mmunition.aspx

This is what I got for my XDM, Noticce for buying TWO boxes they take off $7.50

Remington UMC® 40 S&W 165 gr Metal Case ammo (250 rds)"Mega Pack
    Amount = 2
    $150.00

Subtotal:$150.00
    Discounts: -$7.50
    Total:$142.50

Regular Member trevorthebusdriver's Avatar

Post imported post

Dustin wrote:

Amount = 2
    $150.00

But I have to pay tax and shipping so it's still almost $17per 50 which isn't that much of a deal. Is there anyplace online that it is worth paying shipping rather than just go to Wallmart?

State Researcher

Post imported post

Dustin wrote:
    Liko81 wrote:
    Speaking of Rem. UMC. This site has some CHEAP UMC ammo in the 250 pack.

http://www.northwestshootersupply.co...mmunition.aspx

Amount = 2
    $150.00

Well that total is 28 cents per round, before shipping, right? What does it end up being after shipping? A box of WWB is 27 cents per round before tax, and 30 cents with tax.

Post imported post

Yet another reason why I love the 9mm. WWB is right at $0.20 per round after tax.

Post imported post

http://georgia-arms.com/bulkquantity...nedheat-1.aspx

Check these guys out. Shipping to me would be $19 and the ammo would be $185 flat. Equals out to $.204 per round.

Post imported post

357luvr wrote:

Check these guys out. Shipping to me would be $19 and the ammo would be $185 flat. Equals out to $.204 per round.
    http://georgia-arms.com/9mmluger.aspx

For 9mm specifically.

I've been using their .40 S&W, and I've been really happy with it. I picked up a can of .45 ACP a the last gun show for about $140, but haven't had time to test it yet.

Their .40 seems to be a little hot, compared to WWB, but the price (w/o shipping) is pretty similar.

To quote a fictional character: Grade-A bang bang!

Edit: AND you get a surplus ammo can with every 500 rounds.
    Why open carry? Because 1911 > 911.

State Researcher

Post imported post

357luvr wrote:

$185 shipped? What caliber, and how many rounds?

Post imported post

1,000 rounds of 115gr 9mm for a total as low as $204. They have 3 seperate shipping zones and I just happen to be in the cheapest zone. Here's a link http://georgia-arms.com/cannedheat9m...ket1000pk.aspx

Oh and like the other guy said, you get a free ammo can with every 500 rounds so that's actually 1,000 rounds, 2 ammo cans, and shipping all for $204. These guys are equal to WWB except you're getting 1,000 rounds instead of 100.

Regular Member trevorthebusdriver's Avatar

Post imported post

2 newbie ammo questions I don't feel like Googling:

1. what's the S&W stand for in ".40 S&W"

2. what's pros/cons between different grain numbers?

Post imported post

trevorthebusdriver wrote:
    2 newbie ammo questions I don't feel like Googling:

1. what's the S&W stand for in ".40 S&W"

2. what's pros/cons between different grain numbers?
    1. SHORT & WEAK!!!! Sorry, I'm a 10mm fan. It actually means Smith & Wesson.

2. Heavier the bullet the slower it will go and the more energy it will have. Lighter grain bullets usually have more penetration ability.

Post imported post

Quick note, generally lighter bullets have more energy and disperse the energy in a shorter time period, which results in a higher force being delivered but less penetration. In short they "hit harder." Heavier bullets have increased penetration and don't slow down as quickly. Basically you want to balance out penetration vs. "hard hitting." I try to use the lightest, fastest possible bullet in a given firearm that will produce reasonable penetration.

This is exactly the opposite of what the above post says, but from everything I've seen, it is true. This includes personal testing as well as research and communications with others who have done far more extensive research.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast