• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Ammunition?

Phoenixphire

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I recently purchased my first handgun, and am about to start training with a firearms instructor.

What I am trying to figure out is what brand of ammo is of sufficient quality, as so that I will not have to be overly concerned with residue, etc.

My firearm is a 9mm Springfield Armory XD.

I found Natchez Shooter's Supply, selling CCI Blazer for 7.99/box, 50 rounds.

http://www.natchezss.com/product.cfm?contentID=productDetail&prodID=CC3509&src=tpCtgAm

Anyone have experience with this ammo?

NOTE: No, I am not using this as carry ammo. This will be for rounds down range practice.

mercutio545

imported post

I just got an XD-9 service a few weeks ago and it eats up whatever practice ammo I feed it (UMC, WWB, even Wolf). 500+ rounds and not a hiccup (except for when my girlfriend limp-wristed it. but that was her fault). As far as practice goes, just go with whatever fits your budget. I think you can get one of those big yellow 250 rd UMC cases at Walmart pretty cheap, if you want to shop locally.

As far as residue goes, that's what cleaning is for. All ammo is going to dirty up your gun somehow. After all the crud comes off, it should look good as new. Cleaning is half the fun! :cool:

Dustin

imported post

Phoenixphire wrote:
I recently purchased my first handgun, and am about to start training with a firearms instructor.

What I am trying to figure out is what brand of ammo is of sufficient quality, as so that I will not have to be overly concerned with residue, etc.

My firearm is a 9mm Springfield Armory XD.

I found Natchez Shooter's Supply, selling CCI Blazer for 7.99/box, 50 rounds.

http://www.natchezss.com/product.cfm?contentID=productDetail&prodID=CC3509&src=tpCtgAm

Anyone have experience with this ammo?

NOTE: No, I am not using this as carry ammo. This will be for rounds down range practice.

A range buddy of mine has put about 800 rounds od blazer thru his Mil. Pro and hasn't had one issue.

A Clean weapon will eat anything. Plus CCI has been in the business for a good long time now.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Yes, I have shot CCI Blazer Brass in both 9mm and .45. Works fine. I did have one box of CCI with several bad rounds in it. But out of the thousands I have shot and have seen friends shoot, I can live with it. But I do always take at least 2 boxes of different lots to the range now in case it happens again.

My and my friends have yet to shoot something that won't feed in our XDs.

architect

imported post

The ammo referenced by the OP is not the Blazer Brass but has Al cases. IMO this is a very economical buy and works well in my 9's (G17, SA EMP). Not liked by range scavengers so much, though. :)

I haven't made a serious study, but it seems to be somewhat cleaner than the economy WWB and Federal rounds, and much cleaner than the stuff from Eastern Europe. As far as accuracy goes, I haven't found a 9mm load yet that isn't a lot better than I am with any given gun.

Another good value, when it is in stock--which seems to be rarely these days, is the Fiocchi $190/1000 round lot at Dan's Ammo. http://www.dansammo.com/ammo.asp

PrayingForWar

Founder's Club Member
imported post

All of my XD's have gobbled up everything I've fed them. My Taurus PT99 has given me a hard time with blazer, but eats up everything else from hydrashok to wolf. I like S&B ammo, it's a little on the dirty side, but it's never let me down.

MoparGuy

imported post

With my Norinco Model 213 or my Ruger P89 (both 9mm Luger), I use 115-grain Winchester FMJ's for practice, and 147-grain Winchester Ranger SXT JHP's for personal defense.

With my Glock 23 (.40 S&W), I use 180-grain Winchester FMJ's for practice, and 165-grain Winchester Ranger SXT JHP's for personal defense.

Weak 9mm

imported post

Walmart - Winchester White Box 115gr FMJ

At around $18/100rds I have yet to find cheaper quality 9mm target ammo. It used to be even cheaper than that actually.

For self defense, I suggest Double Tap:

http://www.doubletapammo.com/php/catalog/index.php?cPath=21_37

If you are, for whatever reason, against Double Tap, PM me. There are decent places to get extremely inexpensive defensive ammo in 9mm. Way cheaper than Winchester SXT's, that's for sure.

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

*sigh* Holy crap Weak 9mm, he very specifically asked a question about PRACTICE ammo. You don't have to advertise for DP in EVERY slightly ammo-related thread. :p

Anyway anothervote for Winchester White Box here. WWB is the ONLY "cheap" ammo I've ever fired that I haven't gotten more than 2 bad rounds per 100. Every other cheap ammo (blazer, wolf, etc.) has had multiple bad rounds in a box at one time or another.

If you're worried about cleanliness, stayaway from wolf. It's decent cheap ammo if that's all that's available, but it's smoky and leaves a lot of crap in, on, and around your gun.

asforme

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I add a +1 for the WWB. Especially if you're shooting at my range and not picking up your brass! ;)

Weak 9mm

imported post

DreQo wrote:
*sigh* Holy crap Weak 9mm, he very specifically asked a question about PRACTICE ammo. You don't have to advertise for DP in EVERY slightly ammo-related thread. :p

Anyway anothervote for Winchester White Box here. WWB is the ONLY "cheap" ammo I've ever fired that I haven't gotten more than 2 bad rounds per 100. Every other cheap ammo (blazer, wolf, etc.) has had multiple bad rounds in a box at one time or another.

If you're worried about cleanliness, stayaway from wolf. It's decent cheap ammo if that's all that's available, but it's smoky and leaves a lot of crap in, on, and around your gun.
On that note, I've NEVER had a bad round of WWB. Maybe that's just because I feed it to Glocks though. :cool:

Liko81

Founder's Club Member
imported post

My range ammo of choice is Remington UMC. The 250-pack is comparable to 5 boxes of WWB where they're sold side-by-side, maybe a buck more. However UMC fires cleaner and isn't as snappy as WWB, so it's more fun to shoot. My $0.02

Dustin

imported post

Liko81 wrote:
My range ammo of choice is Remington UMC. The 250-pack is comparable to 5 boxes of WWB where they're sold side-by-side, maybe a buck more. However UMC fires cleaner and isn't as snappy as WWB, so it's more fun to shoot. My $0.02

Speaking of Rem. UMC. This site has some CHEAP UMC ammo in the 250 pack.

http://www.northwestshootersupply.com/centerfirepistolammunition.aspx

This is what I got for my XDM, Noticce for buying TWO boxes they take off $7.50

Remington UMC® 40 S&W 165 gr Metal Case ammo (250 rds)"Mega Pack
Amount = 2
$150.00

Subtotal:$150.00
Discounts: -$7.50
Total:$142.50

trevorthebusdriver

imported post

Dustin wrote:

Amount = 2
$150.00

But I have to pay tax and shipping so it's still almost $17per 50 which isn't that much of a deal. Is there anyplace online that it is worth paying shipping rather than just go to Wallmart?

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

Dustin wrote:
Liko81 wrote:

Speaking of Rem. UMC. This site has some CHEAP UMC ammo in the 250 pack.

http://www.northwestshootersupply.com/centerfirepistolammunition.aspx

Amount = 2
$150.00

Well that total is 28 cents per round, before shipping, right? What does it end up being after shipping? A box of WWB is 27 cents per round before tax, and 30 cents with tax.

Weak 9mm

imported post

Yet another reason why I love the 9mm. WWB is right at $0.20 per round after tax. :cool:

AbNo

imported post

357luvr wrote:
http://georgia-arms.com/bulkquantityammunition-cannedheat-1.aspx

Check these guys out. Shipping to me would be $19 and the ammo would be $185 flat. Equals out to $.204 per round.
http://georgia-arms.com/9mmluger.aspx

For 9mm specifically.

I've been using their .40 S&W, and I've been really happy with it. I picked up a can of .45 ACP a the last gun show for about $140, but haven't had time to test it yet.

Their .40 seems to be a little hot, compared to WWB, but the price (w/o shipping) is pretty similar.

To quote a fictional character: Grade-A bang bang! :D

Edit: AND you get a surplus ammo can with every 500 rounds.