• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Ammunition?

357luvr

imported post

1,000 rounds of 115gr 9mm for a total as low as $204. They have 3 seperate shipping zones and I just happen to be in the cheapest zone. Here's a link http://georgia-arms.com/cannedheat9mmluger115grfullmetaljacket1000pk.aspx

Oh and like the other guy said, you get a free ammo can with every 500 rounds so that's actually 1,000 rounds, 2 ammo cans, and shipping all for $204. These guys are equal to WWB except you're getting 1,000 rounds instead of 100.

357luvr

imported post

trevorthebusdriver wrote:
2 newbie ammo questions I don't feel like Googling:

1. what's the S&W stand for in ".40 S&W"

2. what's pros/cons between different grain numbers?

1. SHORT & WEAK!!!! Sorry, I'm a 10mm fan. It actually means Smith & Wesson.

2. Heavier the bullet the slower it will go and the more energy it will have. Lighter grain bullets usually have more penetration ability.

Weak 9mm

imported post

Quick note, generally lighter bullets have more energy and disperse the energy in a shorter time period, which results in a higher force being delivered but less penetration. In short they "hit harder." Heavier bullets have increased penetration and don't slow down as quickly. Basically you want to balance out penetration vs. "hard hitting." I try to use the lightest, fastest possible bullet in a given firearm that will produce reasonable penetration.

This is exactly the opposite of what the above post says, but from everything I've seen, it is true. This includes personal testing as well as research and communications with others who have done far more extensive research.

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

357luvr wrote:
trevorthebusdriver wrote:
2 newbie ammo questions I don't feel like Googling:

1. what's the S&W stand for in ".40 S&W"

2. what's pros/cons between different grain numbers?

1. SHORT & WEAK!!!! Sorry, I'm a 10mm fan. It actually means Smith & Wesson.

2. Heavier the bullet the slower it will go and the more energy it will have. Lighter grain bullets usually have more penetration ability.

I see why you're a 10mm fan. You don't understand ballistics very well :p.

Like Weak9mm said, heavier bullets actually tend to penetrate more. An object in motion tends to stay in motion. Naturally, an object with more momentum is going to continue to travel longer when facing the same opposing forces (i.e. flesh). The change of mass in the different grain bullets out weighs the change in velocity that happens from round to round, so a heavier bullet normally has more momentum. However, this does not necessarily mean that it has more energy.

Aaaand that's where my brain shuts off :D. Did I confuse anyone else?

357luvr

imported post

MY BAD!!! I've had a recent injury that I haven't quite recovered from and was distracted by the pain. They're right, I was wrong. Sorry to have confused or upset anyone.

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

357luvr wrote:
MY BAD!!! I've had a recent injury that I haven't quite recovered from and was distracted by the pain. They're right, I was wrong. Sorry to have confused or upset anyone.
:DI don't think anyones upset lol. It was light-hearted from my front, and I'm sure it was from Weak9mm's as well.

357luvr

imported post

I'm more embarassed than anything. I usually don't spout off information that I'm only half sure of. I thought about asking if I was right but figured someone would correct me pretty quickly if I was wrong. At least I was right about that!:lol:

AbNo

imported post

Well, I need to do some practice work for physics tomorrow.

I could possibly do some energy deliverance calculations if I get the time, and if someone prods me into action enough.

Phoenixphire

Campaign Veteran
imported post

AbNo wrote:
Well, I need to do some practice work for physics tomorrow.

I could possibly do some energy deliverance calculations if I get the time, and if someone prods me into action enough.

** Looks for cattle prod... **

Not that I care, I just want to use the cattle prod! :D