• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Carrying on the Capitol Campus

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

M1Gunr came across this WAC today...
http://apps.leg.wa.gov/WAC/default.aspx?cite=236-12-470

WAC 236-12-470
(1) No person shall carry any firearm or other dangerous weapon as described in chapter 9.41 RCW on the state capitol grounds or in any building on the state capitol grounds: Provided, That this regulation shall not apply to duly authorized federal, state, and local law enforcement officers or to any federal, state, and local government employee authorized to carry firearms in the course of their public employment; and: Provided, That a person may carry a firearm in accordance with chapter 9.41 RCW.

(2) No person may carry into any building on the state capitol grounds any voice-amplification equipment, blow horns, sirens, or other similar noise-producing devices which may be used to disrupt the conduct of state business by state employees.

Now I read it that if a person is carrying a firearm in compliance with the laws set down in RCW chapter 9.41 one can carry on the Capitol Campus. And of course we all carry in accordance with the laws in 9.41...

just_a_car

imported post

That is correct. I have legally carried twice onto the Capitol Campus when I went to testify in front of the House Committee on Higher Education when they were taking public comment on bills that would have an effect on firearms laws.

Bill Starks

State Researcher
imported post

sv_libertarian wrote:
Yeah pretty much new it was legal, this is just one of those weirdly written codes.
Its poorly written and very confusing. Its clearly meant to keep folks from carrying on campus.

just_a_car

imported post

sv_libertarian wrote:
Yeah pretty much new it was legal, this is just one of those weirdly written codes.
Yano, I can rewrite subsection (1) of that code that will say the exact same thing in one, clear sentence:

"No person may carry an illegally-carried firearm or dangerous weapon onto the state capitol grounds."

Kinda redundant when you say it like that, huh?