• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Discreetly Disarming or Concealing

protector84

imported post

Something I have increasingly run into which is annoying is trying to conceal a gun or put it away when required and having to do so in front of people who have nothing better to do than loiter around staring at you. To be specific, here is what I am referring to:

You are pulling into the parking lot of a particular store and you know the store is posted to prohibit weapons. You currently are open carrying while you are in your car. Youmay decide to conceal the weapon which may involve just putting your shirt over it or actually taking it out, unloading it, and putting it in a small backpack or in your pocket before leaving the car and entering the store. Or you decide to remove the weapon and place it under the seat and enter the store unarmed. For some odd reason, however, regardless of which neighborhood you are in or what time of day or night it is, or of where you pull in to park, there is ALWAYS four people sitting in the car to yourleft looking at you and three more people to your right just standing there loitering and also looking at you. This leaves two potential options: you work your best to conceal or put away your gun without them noticing even though every single one of them is watching you or you say "f*ck it," and blatantly put away your handgun such as by getting out of your car with it, unloading it in front of them, and putting it in the trunk making extra sure that every single one of them sees you with a gun, and then ask them "What the hell do you think you are staring at me for?"

I have noticed people loitering being a consistent problem every since I started carrying. I don't know what the problem is but clearly people have nothing to do with their time and it creates two problems for me as a gun owner. If someone sees me put "something" away, they assume that it is valuable, and I risk having someone break into my car and stealing the gun while I am inside the establishment. The other problem is if they know for sure that it is a gun you are putting away, you risk creating a scene and having to deal with the police or being ejected from the establishment. I always thought normal people got their groceries and went home. Apparently, it isnowthe norm for people to just sit or stand around for long periods of time with nothing to do other than watch you and in some cases start interacting with you.

I know I am not imagining this but it could be 3 am in the morning and I turn on some random neighborhood street and randomly pick a house to quickly pull in front of to conceal/put away the gun for whatever reason and in the 15 seconds this takes me, it just so happens that the one house I am in front of has someone standing out front smoking a cigarette and the parked car right across on the other side has a bunch of people sitting in it looking my direction. So basically it is impossible to be discreet when you cannot put a firearm away or conceal it without idiots constantly loitering around. I never really noticed this stuff until I started carrying because I had nothing to hide. I wouldn't care if 100 people were loitering around if all I'm doing is parking and going inside. But when you are trying to hide something that is legal and have to have these constant peering eyes, it makes me feel like the criminal. I'm sure other people have had this happen to you so any advice? Thanks in advance.

BigRick

imported post

I take my gun off before I leave the vehicle andd place it in secure storage with no ammo in the vehicle. No one knows I stored a weapon when I leave the vehicle.

I dont put my gun back on until I am in the vehicle, same scenerio.

no crowds :?

madcapmag

imported post

I bought a Response Techologies Inc SafeBox with an extra sleeve. I bolted a sleeve underneath the driver's side seat and a sleeve into my cabinet at work. The actual locked box can be locked independently or into a sleeve. That way, I can lock it in the car, knowing its out of sight and locked up. Then if I have to walk into work, I can lock it up into the box in the car, then carry the whole thing into work, then lock it up into the sleeve.

I could actually mount it facing forward, so I don't have to get out of the driver's seat to pull it out. Just reach under, twist the key, pull, done. YMMV.

dreamcro

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I exit the vehicle and remove my belt holster and proceed to put my IWB holster on in front of people and conceal it. Hey I not waving it at anybody screw it!

lostone1413

imported post

Lots has to do with how you carry and the holster you use. I appendix carry. To OC carry I just tuck in my Tee Shirt. When I have to conceal I just pull the Tee Shirt out. With an appendix carry with just a tee shirt on the gun is so well concealed that the only way you could make me is if you pat me down. Also in a fight it is without a doubt the best way to carry to get at your gun very fast

Alec411

imported post

[align=left]PROTECTOR:[/align]

[align=left]I have read countless "reply's" to the questions of others. They have always been well thought out and responsive to the query. I hope I can help a little. If you follow at all the writings of Dr. P at Front Sight, he stresses the importance of developing a "mind set" sort of on the front end B/4 an incident begins to unfold.[/align]

[align=left]It seems to me that each of us needs some "rear end" lessons or exercises in mind set. If for no other reason, than to dispel the discomfort that you and others (me) experience. Discomfort is a distraction, and one you don't need.[/align]

[align=left]I have "pre-developed" my "action plan" should such an incident occur. In many situations I have an iron clad personal rule, "Never Surrender Control in a confrontation, or near developing one. I will never place valuables, especially my gun, in the trunk or passenger cabin of my car, especially if I am being closely watched (as you suggest). So now I am at a decision point. Do I violate the sign and enter the store, stopping to explain to the manager why you are still OC (the folks following every movement. I attempt to sway to the mgr that this is a one time thing, and try to continue shopping armed. If that fails, will he follow the law and provide a secure place for your gun, from which you may retrieve it at any time. If all I attempt to accomplish with the mgr fails, I leave! Hey he is not the only store in town. Drive to one more "gun friendly", leaving your "watchers behind.[/align]

[align=left]Leaving anything of value in the car while being carefully watched is out to me![/align]

[align=left]Alec411[/align]

protector84

imported post

Interesting response, Alec. Safety is the most important. When I see people loitering around with nothing to do, I conclude that they are up to no good. They may be just harmless vacant people with room-temperature IQs or they may be on drugs, drunk, or casing you, someone, or something else out. I suppose that in some way you could use the situation to your favor. If unable to put the gun away without being watched, you may want to just open carry in the establishment despite the signage, tell the first employee or manager that there is a problem in the parking lot, and explain that you respect their business but did not want to disarm in front of suspicious people. Chances are they will have their security find out why the hell people are loitering around and they may well let you violate their policy that one time since you are demonstrating that you are the good citizen. If the police are called and you've already explained your situation, they may be more concerned about the people in the parking lot than you. It is annoying, though, how I see this so often and I am guessing that most of these loitering people are not criminals but are just vacant people with no brain cells and nothing going on in their lives other than to just stand with their mouths hanging open. I open carry most of the time and most people don't even notice the gun. They stand there staring at it probably thinking it is a new type of cell phone on the market. Again, blank vacant stares and mouths hanging open with nothing going on inside. It still concerns me, though.