• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Randon door to door searches

joeroket

imported post

FogRider wrote:
So, we've gone from "police are demanding DNA from random people" to "police are polity requesting DNA samples from 24 suspects". Sounds like sensationalism to me.
And that is the ultimate issue here. Sometimes I think the media wants people to believe that we are living in a police state but I know deep down that they will spin the headline in which ever direction they think will sell the news.

Bear 45/70

imported post

joeroket wrote:
FogRider wrote:
So, we've gone from "police are demanding DNA from random people" to "police are polity requesting DNA samples from 24 suspects". Sounds like sensationalism to me.
And that is the ultimate issue here. Sometimes I think the media wants people to believe that we are living in a police state but I know deep down that they will spin the headline in which ever direction they think will sell the news.
I don't really think with this sort of issue the media actually cares one way or the other. But a sensational headline "sells" better than an article about a completely legal act by the cops. With TV, they lead with what has film, rather than what is truly important.

PT111

imported post

I am a littel confused with all the talk about the headlines. Was the headlines talking about random door-to-door searches on TV, newspaper or just the OP's interpretation of what was said. I though the OP said that he only caught the end of the story and was posting from that. Are there any links to posts about the infamous headlines or have I misunderstood it.

So far it appears to me that the OP only heard part of the story and assumed something that was different that the actual case. Inquiring minds want to know.

The headlines in the linked story is:
Police Investigating 24 People In Lacey Rape
Nothing sensational about that.

911Boss

Gone... Nutty as squirrel **** around here
imported post

...Police said out of the 170 tips that came in about the case, detectives have narrowed it down to 24 men. They will soon be contacting the men by going to their homes and asking some for voluntary DNA samples.

“That would be one of the easiest ways to eliminate somebody, would be to get a voluntary DNA sample," said Lt. Jim Mack of the Lacey Police Department.

Detectives plan on sending the DNA samples to a lab to run tests for a possible match to the DNA from the rapist -- already collected at the crime scene.

"I think if it helps narrow it down and help find the guy who raped the girl, I'm all for it you know," said Kylie Nelson of Lacey...

They always try to sell the "This will eliminate you as a suspect" angle. Fact is, they aren't looking to eliminate anyone, they are looking to identify someone. Any eliminations are just a side effect. By asking for your DNA, they are essentially telling you that you are a suspect. I am sorry (well actually I am not...) but at the point you are considering me a suspect of something I am NOT going to help you in doing your job to gather evidence.

If you wish to consider my lack of "cooperation" suspicious, knock yourself out and try to put enough evidence together to justify a warrant to collect the DNA. Until then go away.

Fact is there are times when victims lie, or relationships fall apart and someone becomes vengeful, or evidence is planted. It may be a very small minority of cases, but it only takes one to royaly screw up a person's life.

Duke University ring a bell with anyone? I personally know a guy who had consensual sex with a woman who he caught afterwardstrying to inseminate herself with thecontents of his condom after she dug it out of the trash. Had she succeeded, she could have named him as her babies daddy and gone after him for child support.

Yes, they have a legal right to retain your DNA and add it to the database. THAT is what I have problem with. I have no problem with a database being mantained of anyone CONVICTED of a violent or sexual crime. When they start cataloging every identifiable DNA sample they come across, I think they have gone too far.

Bear 45/70

imported post

Triple Tap wrote:
Suspects? Are they true Suspects, or persons of intrest? Suspects would be detained, forced to the DNA test I think.

Please correct me if I am wrong.
Detained maybe, but a DNA sample requires probable cause and a court order if not voluntary.

Triple Tap

imported post

911Boss wrote:
"Person of interest" is a phrase used to protect agencies from defamation, slander, and libel claims. Trust me, the cops consider them "suspects" even if they don't openly refer to them as such...
Even though we all know that the phrase in the LEO world means Suspect. Dont they move the person to Actual "suspect" status when they are really investigating differently? ( harder ).