• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC/CC in AZ hospitals?

rolexbenz190e

imported post

Some one had told me that its against state law to carry in hospitals.... I cant find any laws so far regarding this? I thought I read that somewhere as well, but I cant find it. Can anyone shed some light on this?

Second question is "ok to carry at Flagstaff Medical Center?"

Sonora Rebel

imported post

Well... they got all excited at St Mary's in Tuscon when I came in the ER with my pistol. I missed the sign on the door. Other places... maybe... maybe not. I think it's a case by case deal.

AZkopper

imported post

Hospitals are not "forbidden zones" like schools, but at least up here in Prescott, the hospitals are posted "no firearms".

It is a private property issue.

protector84

imported post

I've always been under the impression that emergencies override firearms laws. If you are staggering into the ER bleeding to death, their obligation to treat you has priority over you remembering to leave your gun in the car. Likewise, as toplaces such as schools, bars, and private property with no-weapons policies, if someone on one of those properites is being threatened or attacked with deadly force, I am sure you can intervene as a citizen. I have seen references in the statutes about "acting in place of a peace officer in his absence." I take that to mean that if someone is shooting up a high school and you just happen to have a gun in your car, you can take your gun into the school and stop the shooting and detain (permenately if necessary) the criminal until the police arrive and you wouldn't be charged. Or say someone in a bar is holding a knife to another patron's neck, if bringing a gun inside the bar and shooting the knife-wielding drunk is necessary to save an innocent life, then this would override the gun prohibition. Again, you are acting "in place of a peace officer in his absense" so technically you are the police officer until the real police arrive. Legal experts do not advise citizens to do such interventions but as far as I'm aware, they are allowed.

AZkopper

imported post

protector84 wrote:
I've always been under the impression that emergencies override firearms laws.
Yes, but we're not talking about emergencies here, generally.

There are exceptions for taking a weapon in to a bar to obtain or render emergency aid.

I think we are talking about going to the hospital to visit your sick grandma, or get your possibly broken foot x-rayed.

lostone1413

imported post

If it isn't posted you can carry. If posted and worry about not having a gun or having the gun in your car its easy to take care of Conceal gun keep mouth shut Solved

Chuck

imported post

I work in a few ER's in the Valleyall private hospital (wont say which one). It is posted no weapons but its not a state law its a private property rights.

Most likely if your CC no one will know. But please leave your guns in your car we have 24/7 security and usually a few on duty police around at all times (so safty is not an issue). If not not being carried in in a life threatening issue please dont open carry say if you planed to come with with abdominal pain or high fever ect. I only say this since we have a lot going on and having an upset nurse or doc or other people we just dont have the time to deal with an issue like this that a normal business owner could.

On a side note most Docs are very pro gun, but a few are very anti gun and freak out whenever we have a firearms discussion.