• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Shooting Ranges near Westminster

Strict Constructionist

imported post

Hi Everyone,

I just moved to Westminster from Provo, UT. In UT I was able to drive 15 minutes into the mountains and shoot at one of three "ranges" on Squaw peak. I was wondering if you could help me out with finding a good (read affordable) range in the area.

Thanks,

S.C.

Bebop

imported post

I would like to know too. Not just pistol range but if anyone knows a rifle range around here also. I need to site in my new M-15A4C

RichB 99GTP

imported post

There is a newpublic rangein Lakewood that I go to. Just off of Wadsworth and Jewell. Indoors, rifle and pistol. Not especially cheap at $16 per session, but it's the closest I've found. http://www.gmfsc.org/

There is also a private range at 52nd and Grandview in oldtown Arvada. This would actually be closer, but you need a referral to get in, and I don't know anyone who is a member there. http://www.arandpc.org/

ACEllis

Hutch/Wichita ~ Missing Littleton, Co :(, Kansas,
imported post

Just going on what I've heard personally, Silver Bullet is extremely lacking in quality, proper bullet traps, and management. And for the superstitious... someone over a year ago put a .357 mag into their temple (from a gun he rented there, I believe.)

I visit the Green Mountain Family Shooting Center in Lakewood myself. Even if it might be cheaper else where, the good folks that work there keep me coming back. Even took a date there once who is nervous around firearms. She felt relaxed by the atmosphere and the employees. That says something to me at least.

/Tell them A.C. recommended their place. Tell Mitch to start OCing his S&W 500 around again. Always good for a laugh.

mikebandw186

imported post

Don't get me wrong, I love Green Mountain FSC. Unfortunately, it's half an hour to get there. In bad traffic, almost an hour. It's the first place i ever shot, and Mitch gave me my first shooting lesson, free of charge! But silver bullet has been okay. I just pay my money, shoot my rounds, and leave. I don't expect anything more from them. Not even friendly conversation about my firearms.

If Green Mountain is closer, by all means go there. Also, There is a Green Mountain "something" gun shop at something like Hampden and Wadsworth. Great guys in there, and very fair prices, especially on guns under consignment. Sorry, couldn't help dropping the advert in there

kbonnel

imported post

ACEllis wrote:
Just going on what I've heard personally, Silver Bullet is extremely lacking in quality, proper bullet traps, and management. And for the superstitious... someone over a year ago put a .357 mag into their temple (from a gun he rented there, I believe.)

I visit the Green Mountain Family Shooting Center in Lakewood myself. Even if it might be cheaper else where, the good folks that work there keep me coming back. Even took a date there once who is nervous around firearms. She felt relaxed by the atmosphere and the employees. That says something to me at least.

/Tell them A.C. recommended their place. Tell Mitch to start OCing his S&W 500 around again. Always good for a laugh.
My friend and I have shot at both GMFSC and Silver Bullet. I prefer GMFSC. If I remember, it is $1 more than the Silver Bullet, but there are a lot more lanes, and you can shoot rifles as well. The Silver Bullet is fine, and is closer, but the two times I have been there, it has been busy. The one time I went to GMFSC, no wait.

bcbrown2

imported post

I'm not sure what "affordable" means to you, but Front Range Gun Club in Loveland has an outstanding facility, several courses of firearms instruction, and is run by folks who focus on safety and creating a comfortable shooting environment for everyone (i.e. no aspiring 'homeys' or whack-jobs).

They are a membership-only club, however, and dues run $30/mo for an individual or $50/mo for a family with no additional daily fees to shoot and you can shoot as much as you want each month. I believe they offer up to two sessions at $15/day to let you explore the range and "try before you buy" a membership. There is a $150 initiation fee, roughly $50 of which goes toward a criminal background check. If you're a CCW holder (having recently moved from Utah this may not be the case but if so...) they offer $50 off the initiation fee as your CCW will have involved a detailed background check.

It's a little pricey but they have 15 lanes, a brand new bullet trap and air handling system, and might be worth the drive for you. PM me if you want to chat -- my wife and I love going up there and have easily paid for this month's "daily fees" and then some.

Cheers!

lopoetve

imported post

ACEllis wrote:

was the .357 incident an accident, or...?

kbonnel

imported post

Thank you for the information. This club may be a good solution for me, since it is about 30/40 minutes away, but is a straight shot for me up I25.

bcbrown2 wrote:
I'm not sure what "affordable" means to you, but Front Range Gun Club in Loveland has an outstanding facility, several courses of firearms instruction, and is run by folks who focus on safety and creating a comfortable shooting environment for everyone (i.e. no aspiring 'homeys' or whack-jobs).

They are a membership-only club, however, and dues run $30/mo for an individual or $50/mo for a family with no additional daily fees to shoot and you can shoot as much as you want each month. I believe they offer up to two sessions at $15/day to let you explore the range and "try before you buy" a membership. There is a $150 initiation fee, roughly $50 of which goes toward a criminal background check. If you're a CCW holder (having recently moved from Utah this may not be the case but if so...) they offer $50 off the initiation fee as your CCW will have involved a detailed background check.

It's a little pricey but they have 15 lanes, a brand new bullet trap and air handling system, and might be worth the drive for you. PM me if you want to chat -- my wife and I love going up there and have easily paid for this month's "daily fees" and then some.

Cheers!

bcbrown2

imported post

kbonnel --
I just sent you a PM regarding FRGC.

...and also just realized I'm wearing one of their shirts!! :D I don't work there, am just a member.

Cheers!

xd40shorty

imported post

I just recently visited the Green Mountain FSC range with 9 co-workers and was rudely treated by “Douglas” the “Executive Manager.” Green Mountain was called the day prior to see if they could accommodate 9 shooters and we were told that it was on a first come first serve basis, which is understandable. The range has 12 lanes for pistol. We were given 8 lanes, even though we stated we could double up. We proceeded onto the range and noticed that there were two lanes being used by other shooters. We proceeded to fire and everything went great.

We had just finished firing and was packing up our weapons when I made a comment to a co-worker that you would think if we could bring in 9 guys to shoot we could get a discount. Douglas over heard the comment, came over and stated that he could not give discounts to every group that came in the place. (I agree, but every group is not 9 guys). I then asked if another manager or the owner was in to discuss if discounts could be given in the future. Douglas stated he “was” the manager and that just allowing us to shoot had been an “inconvenience for him”. (I’m not sure how 9 guys paying full price for an empty range can be an inconvenience but it was for him.) He stated that we should have called prior, (which we did). He stated that he didn’t know about it, so I stated that maybe he needs to brief his staff to forward info like that to him. I then questioned as to why 9 paying customers could be an “inconvenience” for him. He just walked away.

I returned to work and thought about it for awhile and got more upset at his lack of customer courtesy. I then called up green mountain range and Douglas answered. I stated that I was in there earlier and wanted to get the first and last name of the executive assistant because I was going to post my experience on a few blogs and wanted to make sure I had the right person quoted. He then stated that he would not give me his last name over the phone but if I wanted to come back to his shop and “discuss it like a man” I could. Not sure if that was a threat or not.

I don’t believe I nor my 9 friends will frequent his establishment in the future, which is a shame since I have never had issues in the past. Comments Welcome. Thanks

Evil Ernie

imported post

Sounds like a threat to me. I'd move along to another range, and let this a$$hat dig his own hole. There are plenty of public and private ranges to visit. I've found that most private clubs are the best.
Shameless plug insterted here: Ben Lomond GC rules!!! LOL!!

cscitney87

imported post

This isn't exactly in your area, but it's close enough for a nice weekend drive. Find highway 285 that extends from the Denver metro south-west into Indian Hills/Conifer/Bailey/etc. You can get there from highway C 470. Take 285 South into the mountains for about an hour. You will pass Conifer and Pine Junction, then you'll hit the small town of Bailey. Cruise through the majority of the town of Bailey and on your left you will eventually see a VFW. You cannot miss the VFW if you are looking to your left after the main strip of Bailey. A few minutes down the highway and on your left hand side you will see a small pull off with a trail leading back into the woods. You can take this trail back to a public, free, shooting range. There is also a public, free range behind the general store but the instructions to get there aren't easy. The view is absolutely amazing and it's very unpopulated. You might find two or three other shooters at the most on a busy Saturday.

Hope this helps. :) Otherwise, for free, just hike far enough into Pike National and be safe. ;)

shmoab

mahkagari

imported post

1 shot every 5 seconds? I've never even heard of such a thing. Who has that?