Results 1 to 23 of 23

Thread: Obama's Changing 2nd Amendment Position

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Louisa County, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    821

    Post imported post

    I snagged his position on the second amendment on July 31:
    Respect the Second Amendment: Millions of hunters own and use guns each year. Millions more participate in a variety of shooting sports such as sporting clays, skeet, target and trap shooting that may not necessarily involve hunting. As a former constitutional law professor, Barack Obama believes the Second Amendment creates an individual right, and he greatly respects the constitutional rights of Americans to bear arms. He will protect the rights of hunters and other law-abiding Americans to purchase, own, transport, and use guns for the purposes of hunting and target shooting. He also believes that the right is subject to reasonable and commonsense regulation.
    Then I found THIS version today:


    Respect the Second Amendment: Millions of hunters and shooters own and use guns each year. Barack Obama believes the Second Amendment creates an individual right, and he respects the constitutional rights of Americans to bear arms. He will protect the rights of hunters and other law-abiding Americans to purchase, own, transport, and use guns.
    Can you say 'Change?'


  2. #2
    Regular Member sccrref's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Virginia Beach, VA, , USA
    Posts
    741

    Post imported post

    The words have changed but I doubt that his original position has. I believe this to be rhetoric to get pro gun votes and then if he gets in (I sure hope not!) he will do what he wants.

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    383

    Post imported post

    Obama is like 99% of all libs, they hate guns and hate gun owners. They pay lip service to it because of the number of union members who are also hunters. However, you can bet that if Obama is elected President, the house and the Senate already controlled by the Dems will go after our gun rights.

    He simply cannot make a simple statement of being in favor of the Second Amendment.



  4. #4
    Founder's Club Member - Moderator ed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    4,848

    Post imported post

    rebfan wrote:
    Obama is like 99% of all libs, they hate guns and hate gun owners. They pay lip service to it because of the number of union members who are also hunters. However, you can bet that if Obama is elected President, the house and the Senate already controlled by the Dems will go after our gun rights.

    He simply cannot make a simple statement of being in favor of the Second Amendment.

    Ok.. so a simple "yes" or "no" will do for me... do I keep my "I'm a bitter gun owner and I vote!" bumber sticker on my car or not? :?
    Carry On.

    Ed

    VirginiaOpenCarry.Org (Coins, Shirts and Patches)
    - - - -
    For VA Open Carry Cards send a S.A.2S.E. to: Ed's OC cards, Box 16143, Wash DC 20041-6143 (they are free but some folks enclose a couple bucks too)

  5. #5
    Regular Member SouthernBoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    5,849

    Post imported post

    Glock27Bill wrote:
    I snagged his position on the second amendment on July 31:
    Respect the Second Amendment: Millions of hunters own and use guns each year. Millions more participate in a variety of shooting sports such as sporting clays, skeet, target and trap shooting that may not necessarily involve hunting. As a former constitutional law professor, Barack Obama believes the Second Amendment creates an individual right, and he greatly respects the constitutional rights of Americans to bear arms. He will protect the rights of hunters and other law-abiding Americans to purchase, own, transport, and use guns for the purposes of hunting and target shooting. He also believes that the right is subject to reasonable and commonsense regulation.
    Then I found THIS version today:


    Respect the Second Amendment: Millions of hunters and shooters own and use guns each year. Barack Obama believes the Second Amendment creates an individual right, and he respects the constitutional rights of Americans to bear arms. He will protect the rights of hunters and other law-abiding Americans to purchase, own, transport, and use guns.
    Can you say 'Change?'
    Well you know he's all wet behind the ears when he says what I bolded. The Second Amendment creates nothing.. not one thing. It simply warns government that a right which is natural and pre-exists the founding of this country shall not be infringed. This is recognition of a right already owned by the people.

    In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?

    Si vis pacem, para bellum.

    America First!

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Louisa County, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    821

    Post imported post

    ed wrote:
    rebfan wrote:
    Obama is like 99% of all libs, they hate guns and hate gun owners. They pay lip service to it because of the number of union members who are also hunters. However, you can bet that if Obama is elected President, the house and the Senate already controlled by the Dems will go after our gun rights.

    He simply cannot make a simple statement of being in favor of the Second Amendment.

    Ok.. so a simple "yes" or "no" will do for me... do I keep my "I'm a bitter gun owner and I vote!" bumber sticker on my car or not? :?
    Yes.

  7. #7
    Regular Member glockfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    228

    Post imported post

    To Obama guns are for "hunting and target shooting" not ever for lawful self defense.

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    , Virginia, USA
    Posts
    227

    Post imported post

    He also believes that the right is subject to reasonable and commonsense regulation.


    Such as, semi-auto bans, higher cap mag bans, ammo bans, gun free zones, bans on OC andCC, waiting periods, registration, full-auto bans, bans of rifles with bayonets and/or folding stocks, suits designed to bankrupt the firearms industry, microstamping, no more than one gun a month, ban on resale of police issued firearms even if the money goes to the police to buy replacement equipment.

    http://www.nraila.org/media/PDFs/2008Obamafactsht.pdf

    He would be scary enough with a Democrap majority in both houses. Just wait to see the hundreds of District and Appelate Court judges he would appoint, as well as the numerous administrative bureaucrats he would appoint who would love to sign on to international small arms control.

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    383

    Post imported post

    Forty-five wrote:
    He also believes that the right is subject to reasonable and commonsense regulation.


    Such as, semi-auto bans, higher cap mag bans, ammo bans, gun free zones, bans on OC andCC, waiting periods, registration, full-auto bans, bans of rifles with bayonets and/or folding stocks, suits designed to bankrupt the firearms industry, microstamping, no more than one gun a month, ban on resale of police issued firearms even if the money goes to the police to buy replacement equipment.

    http://www.nraila.org/media/PDFs/2008Obamafactsht.pdf

    He would be scary enough with a Democrap majority in both houses. Just wait to see the hundreds of District and Appelate Court judges he would appoint, as well as the numerous administrative bureaucrats he would appoint who would love to sign on to international small arms control.
    All true. I know some folks have issues with McCain, but an Obama Presidency would be done right scary.

    Yes, you can keep your bumper sticker on.

  10. #10
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    , Virginia, USA
    Posts
    227

    Post imported post

    rebfan wrote:
    I know some folks have issues with McCain, but an Obama Presidency would be done right scary.
    Definitely.

  11. #11
    Campaign Veteran deepdiver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Southeast, Missouri, USA
    Posts
    5,974

    Post imported post

    It should read: As a former constitutional law professor, I still have no concept of the fact that the Bill of Rights only protects innate rights and does not create anything. My utter lack of understanding of such a basic concept in an area I not only studied but taught at a university post-graduate level is indicative of my utter ignorance of many other issues that directly effect the daily lives, economics and survival of The People and this nation. In short, if I cannot understand something as simply worded as the Second Amendment to the United States Constitution, how can you trust me to have any comprehension of areas I did not study or teach such as international diplomacy, the function and capabilities of the United States military or the functioning of the largest and most complex economy in the history of the world. Please do not vote for me as I am a charlatan who will try to impose European type firearm bans and restrictions so that I have free reign to otherwise destroy Americans' way of life.
    Bob Owens @ Bearing Arms (paraphrased): "These people aren't against violence; they're very much in favor of violence. They're against armed resistance."

  12. #12
    Regular Member sccrref's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Virginia Beach, VA, , USA
    Posts
    741

    Post imported post

    What can I say other than PERFECTLY expressed.

  13. #13
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Charlotte, North Carolina, USA
    Posts
    78

    Post imported post

    Obama's gun record is awful,as is McCain's. Ron Paul would have done wonders for this country, not to mention the 2A.

  14. #14
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Phoenix, Arizona, USA
    Posts
    460

    Post imported post

    So he (supposedly) supports my right to own guns for hunting and target shooting. He doesn't mention self defense....I wonder how he feels about my right to defend myself against the tyranny in government, as voiced by "some old guy"?

    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." ~Thomas Jefferson

  15. #15
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Charlotte, North Carolina, USA
    Posts
    78

    Post imported post

    Agreed. I am a big admirer of Jefferson. I like this quote too:

    “To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them” – George Mason.

  16. #16
    Founder's Club Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Graham, Texas
    Posts
    313

    Post imported post

    Panos1296 wrote:
    Obama's gun record is awful,as is McCain's. Ron Paul would have done wonders for this country, not to mention the 2A.
    I think Obama's record wasn't a great deal worse than McCain's simply because he hasn't been in the senate that long. what was it, 47 days before he decided to run? C'mon!

    I would have liked to see Ron Paul in the Whitehouse. I'm not sure about his policy on the war, but everything else I enjoyed greatly.

  17. #17
    Campaign Veteran deepdiver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Southeast, Missouri, USA
    Posts
    5,974

    Post imported post

    DopaVash wrote:
    Panos1296 wrote:
    Obama's gun record is awful,as is McCain's. Ron Paul would have done wonders for this country, not to mention the 2A.
    I think Obama's record wasn't a great deal worse than McCain's simply because he hasn't been in the senate that long. what was it, 47 days before he decided to run? C'mon!

    I would have liked to see Ron Paul in the Whitehouse. I'm not sure about his policy on the war, but everything else I enjoyed greatly.
    I am pretty sure it was 143 days in the senate prior to announcing his campaign.
    Bob Owens @ Bearing Arms (paraphrased): "These people aren't against violence; they're very much in favor of violence. They're against armed resistance."

  18. #18
    Founder's Club Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Graham, Texas
    Posts
    313

    Post imported post

    You might be right, either way, it's still not much! Mac's been in the Gov for how long? 26 years?

  19. #19
    Regular Member Huck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Evanston, Wyoming, USA
    Posts
    647

    Post imported post

    Glock27Bill wrote:
    I snagged his position on the second amendment on July 31:
    Respect the Second Amendment: Millions of hunters own and use guns each year. Millions more participate in a variety of shooting sports such as sporting clays, skeet, target and trap shooting that may not necessarily involve hunting. As a former constitutional law professor, Barack Obama believes the Second Amendment creates an individual right, and he greatly respects the constitutional rights of Americans to bear arms. He will protect the rights of hunters and other law-abiding Americans to purchase, own, transport, and use guns for the purposes of hunting and target shooting. He also believes that the right is subject to reasonable and commonsense regulation.
    Then I found THIS version today:


    Respect the Second Amendment: Millions of hunters and shooters own and use guns each year. Barack Obama believes the Second Amendment creates an individual right, and he respects the constitutional rights of Americans to bear arms. He will protect the rights of hunters and other law-abiding Americans to purchase, own, transport, and use guns.
    Can you say 'Change?'
    That's what Hussein-O means by "change", changing his position on a issue to suit his agenda. Hell,he rivalsMitt Romney and Hanoi Kerry as a flipper.

    "You can teach 'em, but you cant learn 'em."

  20. #20
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Mechanicsville, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    269

    Post imported post

    Huck wrote:
    Glock27Bill wrote:
    I snagged his position on the second amendment on July 31:
    Respect the Second Amendment: Millions of hunters own and use guns each year. Millions more participate in a variety of shooting sports such as sporting clays, skeet, target and trap shooting that may not necessarily involve hunting. As a former constitutional law professor, Barack Obama believes the Second Amendment creates an individual right, and he greatly respects the constitutional rights of Americans to bear arms. He will protect the rights of hunters and other law-abiding Americans to purchase, own, transport, and use guns for the purposes of hunting and target shooting. He also believes that the right is subject to reasonable and commonsense regulation.
    Then I found THIS version today:


    Respect the Second Amendment: Millions of hunters and shooters own and use guns each year. Barack Obama believes the Second Amendment creates an individual right, and he respects the constitutional rights of Americans to bear arms. He will protect the rights of hunters and other law-abiding Americans to purchase, own, transport, and use guns.
    Can you say 'Change?'
    That's what Hussein-O means by "change", changing his position on a issue to suit his agenda. Hell,he rivalsMitt Romney and Hanoi Kerry as a flipper.
    I know that Hanoi Kerry and Barrack Hussein Obama share one thing in common. They are lawyers. We do not need lawyers as President of the United States. We need a business person with military experience and knowledge of when and how to use weapons and knowledge that we have the right as Americans to bear arms.

  21. #21
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Las Vegas, NV, ,
    Posts
    433

    Post imported post

    says nothing about self defense. to most people, they would think he is pro-2a, but he is just trying to be slick.

  22. #22
    Regular Member Sonora Rebel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Gone
    Posts
    3,958

    Post imported post

    He's a lyin' dweeb. He never was a Constitutional Law 'professor'... He subbed as a graduate student... and taught Race, Gender type lightweight BS. ThisObama's got more sheiet with him than a stuffed duck. He a metro/afrocentric Marxist.... That's all anybody needs to know.

  23. #23
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Racine, Wisconsin, ,
    Posts
    137

    Post imported post


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •