• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Obama's Changing 2nd Amendment Position

Glock27Bill

imported post

I snagged his position on the second amendment on July 31:
Respect the Second Amendment: Millions of hunters own and use guns each year. Millions more participate in a variety of shooting sports such as sporting clays, skeet, target and trap shooting that may not necessarily involve hunting. As a former constitutional law professor, Barack Obama believes the Second Amendment creates an individual right, and he greatly respects the constitutional rights of Americans to bear arms. He will protect the rights of hunters and other law-abiding Americans to purchase, own, transport, and use guns for the purposes of hunting and target shooting. He also believes that the right is subject to reasonable and commonsense regulation.

Then I found THIS version today:

Respect the Second Amendment: Millions of hunters and shooters own and use guns each year. Barack Obama believes the Second Amendment creates an individual right, and he respects the constitutional rights of Americans to bear arms. He will protect the rights of hunters and other law-abiding Americans to purchase, own, transport, and use guns.
Can you say 'Change?'

sccrref

imported post

The words have changed but I doubt that his original position has. I believe this to be rhetoric to get pro gun votes and then if he gets in (I sure hope not!) he will do what he wants.

rebfan

imported post

Obama is like 99% of all libs, they hate guns and hate gun owners. They pay lip service to it because of the number of union members who are also hunters. However, you can bet that if Obama is elected President, the house and the Senate already controlled by the Dems will go after our gun rights.

He simply cannot make a simple statement of being in favor of the Second Amendment.

ed

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
imported post

rebfan wrote:
Obama is like 99% of all libs, they hate guns and hate gun owners. They pay lip service to it because of the number of union members who are also hunters. However, you can bet that if Obama is elected President, the house and the Senate already controlled by the Dems will go after our gun rights.

He simply cannot make a simple statement of being in favor of the Second Amendment.
Ok.. so a simple "yes" or "no" will do for me... do I keep my "I'm a bitter gun owner and I vote!" bumber sticker on my car or not? :?

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
imported post

Glock27Bill wrote:
Respect the Second Amendment: Millions of hunters own and use guns each year. Millions more participate in a variety of shooting sports such as sporting clays, skeet, target and trap shooting that may not necessarily involve hunting. As a former constitutional law professor, Barack Obama believes the Second Amendment creates an individual right, and he greatly respects the constitutional rights of Americans to bear arms. He will protect the rights of hunters and other law-abiding Americans to purchase, own, transport, and use guns for the purposes of hunting and target shooting. He also believes that the right is subject to reasonable and commonsense regulation.

Respect the Second Amendment: Millions of hunters and shooters own and use guns each year. Barack Obama believes the Second Amendment creates an individual right, and he respects the constitutional rights of Americans to bear arms. He will protect the rights of hunters and other law-abiding Americans to purchase, own, transport, and use guns.
Can you say 'Change?'
Well you know he's all wet behind the ears when he says what I bolded. The Second Amendment creates nothing.. not one thing. It simply warns government that a right which is natural and pre-exists the founding of this country shall not be infringed. This is recognition of a right already owned by the people.

Glock27Bill

imported post

ed wrote:
rebfan wrote:

Ok.. so a simple "yes" or "no" will do for me... do I keep my "I'm a bitter gun owner and I vote!" bumber sticker on my car or not? :?
Yes.

taurusfan

imported post

To Obama guns are for "hunting and target shooting" not ever for lawful self defense. :lol:

Forty-five

imported post

He also believes that the right is subject to reasonable and commonsense regulation.

Such as, semi-auto bans, higher cap mag bans, ammo bans, gun free zones, bans on OC andCC, waiting periods, registration, full-auto bans, bans of rifles with bayonets and/or folding stocks, suits designed to bankrupt the firearms industry, microstamping, no more than one gun a month, ban on resale of police issued firearms even if the money goes to the police to buy replacement equipment.

http://www.nraila.org/media/PDFs/2008Obamafactsht.pdf

He would be scary enough with a Democrap majority in both houses. Just wait to see the hundreds of District and Appelate Court judges he would appoint, as well as the numerous administrative bureaucrats he would appoint who would love to sign on to international small arms control.

rebfan

imported post

Forty-five wrote:
He also believes that the right is subject to reasonable and commonsense regulation.

Such as, semi-auto bans, higher cap mag bans, ammo bans, gun free zones, bans on OC andCC, waiting periods, registration, full-auto bans, bans of rifles with bayonets and/or folding stocks, suits designed to bankrupt the firearms industry, microstamping, no more than one gun a month, ban on resale of police issued firearms even if the money goes to the police to buy replacement equipment.

http://www.nraila.org/media/PDFs/2008Obamafactsht.pdf

He would be scary enough with a Democrap majority in both houses. Just wait to see the hundreds of District and Appelate Court judges he would appoint, as well as the numerous administrative bureaucrats he would appoint who would love to sign on to international small arms control.

All true. I know some folks have issues with McCain, but an Obama Presidency would be done right scary.

Yes, you can keep your bumper sticker on.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

It should read: As a former constitutional law professor, I still have no concept of the fact that the Bill of Rights only protects innate rights and does not create anything. My utter lack of understanding of such a basic concept in an area I not only studied but taught at a university post-graduate level is indicative of my utter ignorance of many other issues that directly effect the daily lives, economics and survival of The People and this nation. In short, if I cannot understand something as simply worded as the Second Amendment to the United States Constitution, how can you trust me to have any comprehension of areas I did not study or teach such as international diplomacy, the function and capabilities of the United States military or the functioning of the largest and most complex economy in the history of the world. Please do not vote for me as I am a charlatan who will try to impose European type firearm bans and restrictions so that I have free reign to otherwise destroy Americans' way of life.

Slayer of Paper

imported post

So he (supposedly) supports my right to own guns for hunting and target shooting. He doesn't mention self defense....I wonder how he feels about my right to defend myself against the tyranny in government, as voiced by "some old guy"?

[font="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica"]"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." ~Thomas Jefferson[/font]

DopaVash

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Panos1296 wrote:
Obama's gun record is awful,as is McCain's. Ron Paul would have done wonders for this country, not to mention the 2A.
I think Obama's record wasn't a great deal worse than McCain's simply because he hasn't been in the senate that long. what was it, 47 days before he decided to run? C'mon!

I would have liked to see Ron Paul in the Whitehouse. I'm not sure about his policy on the war, but everything else I enjoyed greatly.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

DopaVash wrote:
Panos1296 wrote:
Obama's gun record is awful,as is McCain's. Ron Paul would have done wonders for this country, not to mention the 2A.
I think Obama's record wasn't a great deal worse than McCain's simply because he hasn't been in the senate that long. what was it, 47 days before he decided to run? C'mon!

I would have liked to see Ron Paul in the Whitehouse. I'm not sure about his policy on the war, but everything else I enjoyed greatly.
I am pretty sure it was 143 days in the senate prior to announcing his campaign.

DopaVash

Founder's Club Member
imported post

You might be right, either way, it's still not much! Mac's been in the Gov for how long? 26 years?

Huck

imported post

Glock27Bill wrote:

Can you say 'Change?'
That's what Hussein-O means by "change", changing his position on a issue to suit his agenda. Hell,he rivalsMitt Romney and Hanoi Kerry as a flipper.

Infidel

imported post

Huck wrote:
Glock27Bill wrote:

Can you say 'Change?'
That's what Hussein-O means by "change", changing his position on a issue to suit his agenda. Hell,he rivalsMitt Romney and Hanoi Kerry as a flipper.
I know that Hanoi Kerry and Barrack Hussein Obama share one thing in common. They are lawyers. We do not need lawyers as President of the United States. We need a business person with military experience and knowledge of when and how to use weapons and knowledge that we have the right as Americans to bear arms.