• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Tri-State OC meet

neddis

imported post

Oh man, I would LOVE to have something like that in this area.

It was my understanding that OC in Oregon was somewhat difficult, perhaps that is just my lack of information but don't you have to be unloaded in OR while OC? Obviously I am fairly biased so my vote is here in WA.

I OC all the time and have never been hassled. The only time was actually in WA at the DOL. Gotta stick up for my state. :)

Bear 45/70

imported post

neddis wrote:
Oh man, I would LOVE to have something like that in this area.

It was my understanding that OC in Oregon was somewhat difficult, perhaps that is just my lack of information but don't you have to be unloaded in OR while OC? Obviously I am fairly biased so my vote is here in WA.

I OC all the time and have never been hassled. The only time was actually in WA at the DOL. Gotta stick up for my state. :)
As a Washington resident I, at least until an out of state CPL is aquired, only have OC available to mein Oregon. Been doing it for like 6 or7 years and never a problem. Of course, I avoid Portland like the plague.

Bill Starks

State Researcher
imported post

Dave The Welder wrote:
I'd say Kennewick. We have a city park right on the Columbia river where you can camp.
Dave what is the name of this park? Is it....
Lake Wallula, Kennewick Washington Along the shore of the Lake Wallula in Kennewick, you can find the Columbia Park. This park is around 609 acres in size, and has both fishing and water-skiing facilities. Other entertainments that can be enjoyed at the Columbia Park are golf, tennis, camping, nature walks, picnics and cycling.

Cougfan2

Opt-Out Members
imported post

Hi all! I am the one who started all this hoopla with M1gunr (actually he broached the initial idea and I became a willing co-conspirator). ;) South Central WA sounds good. M1 and I have talked about Potholes or Maryhill state parks as both have camping available and other activities nearby, but I will defer to you folks in WA that know your park system far better than I. A place with close by accessible shooting would obviously be desireable.

I would suggest we shoot for the Spring. Maybe sometime after Memorial Day when the weather is decent for camping and not too bloody cold.

What say you all?

kparker

imported post

I would expect to see 100+ people coming and we were looing for a campground that would accomodate a group that large.

That pretty much rules out Maryhill, then. It has only 71 campsites; figuring an average camping-party size of 4, I can't imagine us finding over 25% of the campsites free. Potholes is about twice the size; and geographically it's much bigger, too, lots larger picnic area and open space.

Bear 45/70

imported post

kparker wrote:
I would expect to see 100+ people coming and we were looing for a campground that would accomodate a group that large.

That pretty much rules out Maryhill, then. It has only 71 campsites; figuring an average camping-party size of 4, I can't imagine us finding over 25% of the campsites free. Potholes is about twice the size; and geographically it's much bigger, too, lots larger picnic area and open space.

Right next to the state park at Maryhill is PeachBeach RV park. Great facility. I've stayed there when the state park is full. It is a large facility too.

http://www.hikercentral.com/campgrounds/112969.html

Bear 45/70

imported post

Cougfan2 wrote:
Bear, does the RV park allow tent camping?
I was always in the camper, which I no longer have, so your question is of interest to me. I will find out. I would assume so, why turn away business? But.............

Just off the phone, yes tent camping is a go.

just_a_car

imported post

For those coming from the Seattle Metro Area, Peach Beach (I-90 to I-82 to Hwy 97) appears to be about the same driving distance as Kennewick (I-90 to I-82). The only distance difference would be for those coming from either Idaho or Oregon and if one is closer, one is further....

At that, I still like Kennewick for being central to it all; plus, we know there will be available shooting with long distances and no range fees.

Unfortunately, I found this out about Columbia Park that M1Gunr found, so hopefully it's not the one Dave the Welder meant:
We are sorry to inform you that the City of Kennewick closed the Columbia Park Campground
due to its failing infrastructure.
-http://www.ci.kennewick.wa.us/Recreational_Services/Forms/Campground%20Information.pdf

And the only other campground mentioned in Kennewick on their own site is an RV park that says "no tents".

Riverdog

imported post

The only real camping areas I'm aware near Tri-Cities are Hood Park and Fishhook Park. Both are pretty alright and on a river, but I can't say for certain they'd hold the numbers mentioned. There are a couple RV parks that are typically full and I believe they don't allow tent camping.

Edit: Grammar

Dave The Welder

imported post

just_a_car wrote:
Unfortunately, I found this out about Columbia Park that M1Gunr found, so hopefully it's not the one Dave the Welder meant:
We are sorry to inform you that the City of Kennewick closed the Columbia Park Campground
due to its failing infrastructure.
That was what I meant. There are other campgrounds around here, give me a day or two to find them. Remember that we have Richland and Pasco as well as Kennewick right here, and they might have campgrounds as well. I'll look into it.

On a side note, has anybody else noticed that OCDO now spell checks as you write? No more copying and pasting in Word in order to spell check. :celebrate

Cougfan2

Opt-Out Members
imported post

I would like to broach the idea of a few of us taking the ball and running with this by suggesting a meeting in a month or two to bottom out on location, logistics, and event planning. Maybe meet at a hotel in the Tri-cities over a weekend and do some scouting of likely areas. If we decide to make this a go, I think we need to reserve space ASAP.

Who's up for it?

t3rmin

imported post

This is a great idea. I'd like to see the media contacted, and not do it in such a remote area that they won't bother coming out. Along the same lines, I don't think we want to insulate ourselves from the public with overly remote/private property. Know what I mean? At least some component of it (a BBQ dinner?) aught to be very public, in keeping with our philosophy/goals of spreading awareness.

The VCDL had some very favorable coverage recently with a large scale public OC gathering. I'd love to see us duplicate that out West.

I think it should be in Washington, if not for any other reason than it's more in the middle. I'm not very familiar with the Kennewick/Tri-Cities area, but it sounds like maybe it fits the bill...?

I also like the idea of maybe even doing it NEXT spring/summer. That gives us a lot of time to organize/promote it. A little patience might equal a lot of turnout.

Bear 45/70

imported post

t3rmin wrote:
This is a great idea. I'd like to see the media contacted, and not do it in such a remote area that they won't bother coming out. Along the same lines, I don't think we want to insulate ourselves from the public with overly remote/private property. Know what I mean? At least some component of it (a BBQ dinner?) aught to be very public, in keeping with our philosophy/goals of spreading awareness.

The VCDL had some very favorable coverage recently with a large scale public OC gathering. I'd love to see us duplicate that out West.

I think it should be in Washington, if not for any other reason than it's more in the middle. I'm not very familiar with the Kennewick/Tri-Cities area, but it sounds like maybe it fits the bill...?

I also like the idea of maybe even doing it NEXT spring/summer. That gives us a lot of time to organize/promote it. A little patience might equal a lot of turnout.
I would disagree with Tri-cities being the center. Somewhere along the River in the near the eastern end of the Gorge would be a more equal distance for everybody. Southern Oregon people would have as far to go as the northern Washingtonpeople and the Eastern Idaho people would travel about the same distance also.

Riverdog

imported post

So it sounds like we have some criteria:
  1. Camp grounds sufficient to hold ~100 persons
  2. Close proximity to shooting range(s)/areas
  3. A public area with sufficient population to warrant media coverage
I'm sure based off those remedial requirements we should be able to start eliminating potential areas.

Cougfan2

Opt-Out Members
imported post

Guys, no matter what location we chose someone won't like it so we need to make a decision on a general area and go with it. The reason I mentioned Tri-cities areais that it has the three remedial remedial requirements that Riverdog mentioned plus access to numerous hotel/motel lodging options for those who might not want to camp.

Let's see if we can get a consensus on a general area so we can start researching locations.

I vote for the Tri-cities vicinity. What say the rest of you?

t3rmin

imported post

I guess the question is, is Tri-Cities the most central location which still meets our other requirements?

Like was said, there won't be a perfect area, but Tri-Cities seems pretty good. Any other specific suggestions for a better area?

Bear 45/70

imported post

I don't think the tri-cities meets enough of your requirements other than shooting area. You pretty much eliminated everything east of the mountains except Spokane and it sucks for centrally located.

I don't think media interest or lack there of should be a consideration. But hey do whatever you want, I've lost interest in attending.

just_a_car

imported post

t3rmin wrote:
We actually had the media come to us when I was visiting over there. Totally random, too.

There was a post about it and video footage of us out at the range: OCDO members on the local news in the Tri-Cities

With the fact that we not only now have a contact with this reporter, but also a good experience for them, I think they would be a great outlet to contact for our big get-together.