• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New Owner and OCer

madcapmag

imported post

Hello,

I moved out to the Phoenix area (N Scottsdale) about a year ago following my business. I have a hotel out here and am slowly falling in love with the area. It was quite a shock transitioning from Seattle, WA! I love fishing and I used to be able to go (river, lake, ocean) almost everyday, but with the heat and lack of bodies of water within a few minutes of me, that hobby has taken a hit. But, I do maintain a couple saltwater tanks (125 gal swim tank being converted into a reef and a 35 gal reef), so at least I don't miss out on fish!

I get asked about my screen name a lot, so here it is: Its supposed to be Madcap Magicians, something I dreamt up while back in Jr high school, but I'm neither a magician, and I'm certainly not any crazier than a mental patient. :lol:

I recently purchased my first handgun, a FN 5.7mm. I tried out a bunch of different pistols and revolvers and settled on this one, mainly because it looks nice and I loved the feel. Little recoil so easy to get those shots into the areas that count. I am working on a CWL (stupid work getting in the way of fun), but do carry open. I bought myself a Blackhawk Lv 2 Serpa (not a guide).

Been around my area (N Scottsdale) without any incident. Did have one couple compliment me for carrying open. Started talking to them, and I guess I grew up near them in Chicago!

Anyways, thought I'd say Hi and to compliment you all for having this great website and resource!

PavePusher

imported post

Hello and welcome to OCDO! I'll probably behelping atthe AZCDL (Arizona Citizens Defense League, http://www.azcdl.org/) booth at the Crossroads of the West gun show on August 16or 17, at the Phoenix Ice House Arena. Come by and say hello, and think about joining, they do a lot of the heavy lifting for gun rights here in the AZ.

My one year anniversary in this state comes up on Sunday, so I'll be going to the show here in Tucson this weekend!

dreamcro

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Well welcome!! I hang out by the double tree resort on scottsdale rd. every thursday just about. Meet ups are welcome. It's the only day I make it up north.

Alec411

imported post

MADCAPMAG:

Welcome to the group & to AZ. If you came from IL, you will immediately notice a huge difference in "gun laws". IL, where I have lived, is nasty on guns. You will really appreciate AZ come winter; no shoveling, no scraping windows, no waiting 40 minutes for the car to warm-up, no snow tires, no road salts to destroy your car, and that's but a few my friend.

You picked a fine handgun. One, not alot of people have discovered yes. Glad you like it.

Alec411

Alec411

imported post

MADCAPMAG:

The gun show mentioned is held every couple of months. There is another sponsered by Telemark. The one mentioned, is in the opinion of many the best of the two................Bigger..........more goodies

curtm1911

imported post

Welcome madcapmag,

I come from Elkhart, Indiana and have been here a few years, since'67, and if you want to shoot in the N. Scottsdale area, check out the Scottsdale Gun Club. An Excellent Facility, indoor, 25yd. range, Class 3 Dealer, plenty of interesting firearms for rent, full auto stuff, and a top notch staff. Well worth looking into and becoming a member of too.

www.scottsdalegunclub.com

Maybe I will run into you there sometime, I am in Scottsdale near the 101 and Chaparral Rd., drop me a few lines sometime and maybe we can do some shooting together, I am a member there and when it gets cooler, late September or so October, I head out to Four Peaks Road in the National Forest and do some long range rifle shooting and just enjoy the outdoors and our Beautiful Desert.

madcapmag

imported post

Hehe... Already a member there and hopefully, if they like my shadow day, a volunteer range safety officer in a week or so!

I will be there tonight around 5 or 6pm. Haven't shot in a couple weeks (stupid work), so I gotta get this itch on my trigger finger scratched!

curtm1911

imported post

well, I guess you is a smart guy then. I usually go there on weekends early in the day myself, but something tells me we will encounter each other soon enough. Again, Welcome to Az and to the club too. See Ya Sometime...

1FASTC4

imported post

There is some good fishing to be had in AZ. Lake Pleasant is about 45 mins from N Scottsdale.

Welcome to AZ, I'm from Waukegan.

1FASTC4

imported post

There is some good fishing to be had in AZ. Lake Pleasant is about 45 mins from N Scottsdale.

Welcome to AZ, I'm from Waukegan.

Alec411

imported post

HEY FAST:

I lived in Waukegan years ago. It was my first intro to an indoor range.

Welcome!

Alec411

madcapmag

imported post

I head up to Washington at least twice a year to go fishing. I like fishing in general, but get me a river with some steelhead or the open ocean for the halibut season and I'm there!

I grew up in Wilmette (no handguns, I believe... I think the city tickted some guy who defended his home with his gun). Nice town, good schools, etc. etc. Definitely miss the snow though :(. I got some nice trout out of L. Michigan shore fishing and plenty of catfish and walleyes out of the Chain of Lakes!

I was in Issaquah and worked at Outdoor Emporium for awhile (before they added in the hunting section).

So... OC report:

Fry's Marketplace on Hayden and Thompson Peak... not even a double take. Maybe some looks from the other shoppers, but nothing I noticed.

Subway in the same shopping center: Kids at the counter. Slow slow slow. But didn't ask about the gun. Lady comes in for a salad, but they didn't have any plastic bowls :shock:We got to talking about the Cubs and Bears (I got stickers on my car and she and her husband were from Chicago), her husband comes in, we walk outside, he says "I see you believe in OC". I said "Yup". He said "Good" and points to his NRA stickers. :D

Cabela's: Sporting goods store? Why not? No looks.

Lonsdale Fine Cigars on Pinnacle Peak and Scottsdale: Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar. Went in with a couple buddies before going shooting, we talked about Ben Avery and how it was better at Scottsdale Gun Club right now because it is so darn hot outside.

Aquatouch on 32nd and Cactus: Great saltwater and planted aquarium store. Friendly, very knowledgable, and very very healthy fish and coral. They didn't care, neither did the other customers.

Panda Express on Thompson Peak and Frank Llyod Wright: Not even a surprised look.

All in all, no troubles.

kashmirsmp

imported post

I work in Scottsdale off of Indian School & Hayden. I was told that Scottsdale and Tempe where the places that people had the hardest time oc'ing. Maybe they were wrong.

madcapmag

imported post

Most of the OC-ing I do is in my work outfit: khaki pants, button up shirt, belt, dress shoes, black socks, wrist watch, brushed teeth, combed hair, deoderant. :pThat might be the difference between looks and not looks. They all probably assume I'm LEO or something. Haven't heard any whispers, so I can't correct them on their assumptions (without going up to everyone and saying "I'm NOT an officer!"). I have yet to OC in the bigger malls though, like Desert Ridge. Haven't had the need to go there, but if I do, I'll definitely report!

kashmirsmp

imported post

I live in a mesa county island near AJ. I can carry around here with no looks at all. I went to pinal county last week and carried the whole time. No one even looked twice. I have yet to bring it with me to a major part of town yet though.

madcapmag

imported post

So here's my week of OC in a nutshell: Nothing.

Lowe's on I-17 and Thunderbird as well as the one on 75th Ave and McDowell.

Home Depot on Northsight and Hayden.

Costco (Business) on Indian School and 35th Ave (I think). I know! Costco? Yes!

Takamatsu on Dunlap and 43rd Ave.

Sweet Tomato on Tatum in Desert Ridge Mall.

Wells Fargo on Indian School and 51st Ave (Business center).

Paradise Bakery on 99th Aveand McDowell as well as 101 and Raintree (Scottsdale).

Panda Express on Frank Lloyd Wright and Thompson Peak (Orange Chicken... mmm)

Starbucks on Thompson Peak and Hayden as well as the Subways next door.

Garcia's (forgot exact location but in Phoenix).

Best Buy on 99th Aveand McDowell.

Heard only 1 whisper at Paradise Bakery on 99th Ave and McDowell as I was leaving after eating lunch with a church-mate. *Whisper* "Is that a gun?" Friend: *whisper* "I think so". Maybe I'm getting lucky, or maybe people just don't want to mess with aslightly overweight guy in a business suit? :celebrate

1FASTC4

imported post

Madcap, carrying in places that serve open liquor isillegal. In your instance.. Garcia's.