• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Openly Scary

Renegade

imported post

I think this guy is looking for a fight - I say we respond with a handful of well documented facts that deflate his fictional story.

AUGUST 6, 2008
Openly Scary
Just how stupid do you think I am?

BY BILL COPE

"Badge? You ever noticed how the more time goes by, the more our society is dominated by the stupidest people in it?"

Bob slowly, deliberately, lowered the ear of corn on which he'd been gnawing to his plate and leaned back in his chair. "Is this why you asked me to dinner, Cope? So's you could test drive your latest brain belch on me?"

Darn. He had me figured out. That's exactly why I'd invited him to dinner. I can't get him to hang around long enough for a decent conversation any other way. I don't think he likes me much, but he's a pushover for free food.

"Yeah. Well. Sorta. It's just that these 'open carry' clowns got me to thinking about it. You heard about them ... those simpletons who put on that big show by going to the zoo with their rods hanging out? So I've been counting up the ways the morons among us are defining how we live anymore. Don't you think that's worth doing?"

"You're not thinking of writing another column on those dumb turd gun crackers, are you? Cope, you might as well try to convince a tree stump to dance a tango as try to change what their little reptilian gray cells are telling them."

"Well first of all, Bob, it's not the dumb turd gun crackers I'm trying to convince. It's the rest of the people who sit around on their fat apathy and let the dumb turd gun crackers get away with their dumb turdery. And secondly, it's not just them I'm talking about."

"Is this going to take a long time? 'Cause if it is, I believe I'll have another ear of corn while you're blabbing."

"Like, you know why we can't have a frosty beer while we're floating down the river? It's all because of the dimwits who were using it as another excuse to get even stupider than they are when they're sober. The whole population has to be treated like Nazarene teenagers because the morons always have to take things too far. I'm right about that, aren't I? Morons won't control themselves, so we all end up getting controlled along with them."

"You'd better not say 'Nazarene teenagers' when you write it out, Cope. I have it on good authority that over in Nampa, they already think you're a degenerate scuzz."

"Yeah, well, I know I'm right. We all end up having to abide by rules that wouldn't be necessary if not for the below-par crowd. Just like all of us end up paying for the warnings on things like ladders and lawn mowers, just because a handful of people are so stupid they can't figure out for themselves what not to do with ladders and lawn mowers. And it goes on and on. Gays have to live with the idiocy of the loudest mouth feebs in the religious community, and we're all paying through the nose for gas because the SUV-driving dopes didn't have the sense to see where they were taking us, and the whole world has to wait for the cretins to catch up on the global warming thing, and ...

"'Scuse me for interrupting, but pass me another stuffed pepper there, would ya'? And then explain how this has anything to do with those dumb turd 'open carry' gun crackers. Who, by the way, would make pretty much the same argument you're making ... that they shouldn't have to abide by the rules set up to control the behavior of people even stupider than they are. And that's something else to consider, Cope ... that no matter how stupid you think someone is, there's always somebody stupider."

"I thought about that, too, Bob, but here's the deal. They insist the law shouldn't tell them they can't flash their pieces anywhere and everywhere they want, all because they're so worried about that teeny-tiny, eensy-weensy fraction of people who are dumber than they are. Just like those sloppy drunks who won't behave themselves floating the river, they have to push everything to the ridiculous. They're not happy enough that they can own a gun. Now they want to have it hanging off their butts wherever they go. National parks ... college campuses ... Boise's zoo. So what's next? Do you and I and all the smart people have to start carrying guns just to stay one step ahead of whichever gun-toting retard decides he's smart enough to decide when someone needs to be shot or not? Get what I mean? It's like our whole society is running downhill like water and settling in the lowest possible IQ level. What d'ya' think?"

Bob looked positively contemplative as he ripped through another run of plump kernels. "Needs more salt, that's what I think. Would you throw that shaker on over here, Cope. And the pepper, too."

"C'mon, Badge. Am I right or not?"

"Yes, Billy. You're right. And anyone with the sense God gave a cucumber knows it. But you know how it'll play out as well as I do. The dumb turd gun crackers will claim that having pistols everywhere you turn cuts down on crime. They maintain two million crimes are prevented a year 'cause so many ambulatory dildos like them had gats in their pants. And pass those cucumbers over, if you would."

"I know what they say. But it's just made-up malarkey they pass around to each other and hope nobody challenges it. It's like saying George Bush can control volcanoes, since not even one volcano has erupted in the United States as long as he's been in the White House. That's the kind of logic only the most illogical would dare spout, and if you ask me, it only goes to show how stupid they really are ... thinking everybody else is stupid enough to believe them. And besides, I could just as easily make the claim that all the crimes that were committed with a gun wouldn't have been committed if nimrods like them weren't always making it sound like you're some kind of stud when you know your way around a damn gun. It's all about the prevailing atmosphere, Bob. When the stupid people control the atmosphere, everybody ends up stupid."

He wiped a coating or two of vegetable residue off his cheeks and settled back. My guess is he was done eating. "Cope, I gotta tell ya' ... I can't help but think that for you to butt your head against those idiots over and over, knowing you're not getting anywhere ... well, that kind of makes you look stupid."

"May be, Badge. You're probably right. But the way I see it, if I can cause even one gun nut ... even one ... to pop a gasket like a pissed-off party balloon, then it was worth the sacrifice."

http://www.boiseweekly.com/gyrobase/Content?oid=oid:316353

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

It's not worth registering just to respond to that crude excuse for a columnist. If I did register and post a comment it would be very simple:

"Just how stupid do you think I am?" I think you are a very stupid, foul mouthed excuse for a columnist. Boise Weekly should be ashamed for publishing this arrogant filth. I don't have time to write more because I am off to pick up an issue of Penthouse to read something that isn't as raunchy and juvenile as this garbage.

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

Not worth replying, hell hes just trying to bring his column up from the rating of insignificant.

bobcat

imported post

Heck, I think it's pretty funny. The author obviously is P.O'd at folks that desire to protect themselves and their families. Our activities fly in the face of counting on gooberment to be our daddy.

Just laugh and know we are getting to 'them' when they respond in this manner and with such a weak, emotional, name calling argument. :D

ConditionThree

State Pioneer
imported post

Meh.

The good news is, this isnt journalism. Its an editorial with some really flippant prose.

The bad news is, this is pointing out that mass open carry events are producing some negative responses, sometimes in areas where open carry is completely lawful and in environments where it is largely accepted.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

ConditionThree wrote:
SNIP The bad news is, this is pointing out that mass open carry events are producing some negative responses,

You've got a point.

But isn't it really more a matter of, "Government encroachment of rights is producing some 'negative' responses--like people suddenly pushing for their rights."

Jason Rogers

imported post

Don't reply to this garbage in any way. To reply will lead the editorial board think that he is "generating debate" and print more of the same. If you simply must reply, write that you find the use of racial slurs deplorable and you are going to cancel your subscription (evin if you don't have one).-Jay

Anubis

imported post

Renegade wrote:
...It's like saying George Bush can control volcanoes, since not even one volcano has erupted in the United States as long as he's been in the White House.
This guy is ignorant on every subject. Either he doesn't knowHawaii is located in theUSA or he never heard of Kilauea, which has been flowing lavacontinuously from side vents since 1983 and had an explosive eruption in the crateras recently as2008 March 12. I guess he would say President Bush has failed to control the volcano!

DoubleR

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I have a feeling that Bill Cope is from the same mold of...

trejbal_100x135.jpg

Christian Trejbal

XD40coyote

imported post

Oww! Reading that trashbruised the intellectual high IQ part of my gun owning brain. Anyone have some water in it's solid form for me to hold to my cranium?

Sitrep

imported post

Somewhat amusing brain fart this guy had. No wonder his "friend" wont listen to him without free food as payment.

He thinks OC somehow equates to more likely to shoot.
He's afraid that people OCing will necessitate a law to prevent OCing, which he already thinks is wrong? If true this would seem to be self limiting, and therefore nothing that he would need to worry about.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Sitrep wrote:
SNIP He thinks OC somehow equates to more likely to shoot.

Given the way columnists have trashed people, I can imagine why he mightbe worried about that. He's got a guilty conscience if you ask me.

Well, maybe not. Nobody has ever really been able to accuse these types of having a conscience. :)

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

If creative writing (notice I didn't refer to the piece as "journalism") ability is a measure of intelligence, then I dare say I have quite a few more "reptilian grey cells" than the author. ;)

Weak 9mm

imported post

The whole time I read that I was picturing two fat guys talking while viciously eating and spitting food onto each other's plates. Interestingly enough, had I seen this in public and overheard their constant use of "moron," "idiot" and all of the other words they were using, combined with their constant praising of themselves, I would have had to move. Like I have a feeling they annoyed the everloving you know what out of everyone sitting around them. By the end of it I'm sure their shirts (And chins) were covered in specks of food and grease. People around them must have been disgusted.

DopaVash

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I say Ignore it. He's hoping for an attack. Shock journalism at best, no credibility whatsoever.

hogleg

imported post

Well I see a couple of things he got right:;)

We all end up having to abide by rules that wouldn't be necessary if not for the below-par crowd.

*Anti Gunners!

"that no matter how stupid you think someone is, there's always somebody stupider."

*Agreed theose anti's just amaze me at the depth of stupidity displayed.

"They're not happy enough that they can own a gun. Now they want to have it hanging off their butts wherever they go. National parks ... college campuses ... Boise's zoo. So what's next?"

*Absolutely, "THE RIGHT TO KEEP AND BEAR ARMS SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED." Something this writerANTI GUNNER TURDHUSTLER does not comprehend!

"Do you and I and all the smart people have to start carrying guns just to stay one step ahead of whichever gun-toting retard decides he's smart enough to decide when someone needs to be shot or not?"

* Duh - Replace retard with Criminal and the answer is, YES you DOPE!

"if I can cause even one gun nut ... even one ... to pop a gasket like a pissed-off party balloon, then it was worth the sacrifice."

* Don't know if he pissed off anyone but the Nazarenes, but he sure as hell made himself look like a complete IDIOT!