• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Openly Scary

Weak 9mm

imported post

if I can cause even one gun nut ... even one ... to pop a gasket like a pissed-off party balloon, then it was worth the sacrifice.

Judging by that last quote you mentioned (I referenced it above since my post ended up on page 2), it's quite clear what the purpose of his whole tirade was.

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

Weak 9mm wrote:
The whole time I read that I was picturing two fat guys talking while viciously eating and spitting food onto each other's plates. Interestingly enough, had I seen this in public and overheard their constant use of "moron," "idiot" and all of the other words they were using, combined with their constant praising of themselves, I would have had to move. Like I have a feeling they annoyed the everloving you know what out of everyone sitting around them. By the end of it I'm sure their shirts (And chins) were covered in specks of food and grease. People around them must have been disgusted.
This is to which I refer in "the conspiracy of ignorance masquerades as common sense."

XD40coyote

imported post

"if I can cause even one gun nut ... even one ... to pop a gasket like a pissed-off party balloon, then it was worth the sacrifice."

So he is saying that he wants to try and provoke an OCer into getting angry at him? Whats he going to do, threaten them with physical harm and see what happens? His illogical stupid ranting via writing seems to imply he is easily inclined to start behaving like a stupid drunk if he sees an OCer.And what is that suppossed to prove, that anti gunners like himself are illogical belligerant drunken acting morons who try to provoke someone carrying a gun to shoot them? If his idiot bantering and raving doesn't phase the OCer, what next on his list of provocations? Pulling a knife on the OCer? Is he trying for the Olympic Darwin Award?

demnogis

imported post

Not worth responding to the article. It's flame bait, plain and simple. Write something horrid, expect an equal response (or a response at all), distort it, run the responses and continue to portray the intended group in the aforementioned negative light.

3 Years in the newspaper biz (WSJ) has taught me that much... Just let it pass and pay it no attention. Tacticts like such are the tools of poor writers, with little to no talent and even less dedication to their career.

rodbender

imported post

marshaul wrote:
If creative writing (notice I didn't refer to the piece as "journalism") ability is a measure of intelligence, then I dare say I have quite a few more "reptilian grey cells" than the author. ;)
You should be careful saying things like this, because it wouldn't take many "reptilian grey cells" to have onehell of a lot more than thiswriter? does.

Weak 9mm

imported post

demnogis wrote:
Not worth responding to the article. It's flame bait, plain and simple. Write something horrid, expect an equal response (or a response at all), distort it, run the responses and continue to portray the intended group in the aforementioned negative light.

3 Years in the newspaper biz (WSJ) has taught me that much... Just let it pass and pay it no attention. Tacticts like such are the tools of poor writers, with little to no talent and even less dedication to their career.
Exactly. It's amazing how terrible this guy is as a writer. The article is him repeating the same thing over and over while praising himself. It's hard to even read to be honest and I hope that people that read it are able to roll their eyes as they throw that article in the trash.

Orygunner

imported post

I've read this a couple of times now, and feel like maybe y'all are missing something...

The guy's writing and insults certainly aren't endearing him to the OC community. But look at how they insultthe crap out of us. It's almost like a parody. Note that at the end, he agrees with Badge (the guy that's somewhat defended the gun owner's position and evenpointed out the self-defense statistics and opinion that it may deter crime), and his article even points out that he looks stupid for banging his head against our brick wall. At the end it evengives us a warning that we shouldn't "pop" because that's what he really wants... or is it?

I dunno. Maybe I'm wrong, but rather than think about it from our standpoint (people who OC and see the value in it), look at it from the standpoint of the average Joe. This writer is gonna appear to be a complete, insultive, narrow minded jackass.

...Orygunner...

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Orygunner wrote:
SNIP This writer is gonna appear to be a complete, insultive, narrow minded jackass.

Which isone reasonI don't get into heated arguments or blast people on this forum.

Everybody can see you making a jerk of yourself.

Another reason is that I am theepitome of genteel manners and refinement. :)

(I just know Tomahawk is gonna have something to say about that.) :)

XD-GEM

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Not worth responding to this article. He's writing in Boise for goodness sake. Probably more folks back our version of things there than his.

Eagleeye

imported post

This human excrement must have been the model they based the world in "Idiocracy" off of...

If this drivel actually got printed I would be willing to say that the Boise Weekly is even unsuitable as a device to pick dog mess out of a yard with.

AWDstylez

Banned
imported post

Orygunner wrote:
I've read this a couple of times now, and feel like maybe y'all are missing something...

The guy's writing and insults certainly aren't endearing him to the OC community. But look at how they insultthe crap out of us. It's almost like a parody. Note that at the end, he agrees with Badge (the guy that's somewhat defended the gun owner's position and evenpointed out the self-defense statistics and opinion that it may deter crime), and his article even points out that he looks stupid for banging his head against our brick wall. At the end it evengives us a warning that we shouldn't "pop" because that's what he really wants... or is it?

I dunno. Maybe I'm wrong, but rather than think about it from our standpoint (people who OC and see the value in it), look at it from the standpoint of the average Joe. This writer is gonna appear to be a complete, insultive, narrow minded jackass.

...Orygunner...

That's a good perspective on it.

Take it for what it is, humor. I thought it was hilarious. It was obviously designed to get under everyones' skin which is obviously what it did. I happen tohave an appreciation for that sort of twisted sense of humor.

IndianaBoy79

imported post

The trip to the zoo was lots of fun too. Can you believe these morons though? Not one person ran for their life. You'd think they weren't even afraid of us! And here we were trying to ruin everyones day and give gun owners a bad name....I guess dressing nice, being polite, and tipping big aren't good strategies to ticking people off. We'll try harder next time folks.

I work at a store that stocks the Boise Weekly. People come in all the time and grab stacks to use for their firewood. Seriously, we don't have much to worry about from them.

Nelson_Muntz

Campaign Veteran
imported post

"It's a trap!"

--Admiral Ackbar
Only the seriously mentally challenged would attempt to piss off a party balloon. The party balloon doesn't care.

:cool:

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Orygunner wrote:

...Orygunner...

I'm not too sure about the author ending up looking like a jackass.

You were surely onto something, as were a few other folks who alsogot a whiff of parody when reading the piece. What struck me as the central point of the whole this was:
Cope, I gotta tell ya' ... I can't help but think that for you to butt your head against those idiots over and over, knowing you're not getting anywhere ... well, that kind of makes you look stupid."
I have a feeling "Badge" was not referring only to "Cope" when he was talking about those who butt heads with the OC movement - he seems to have in mind everyone who wants to ague against a right and a sense of personal responsibility because it makes "the other person" feel bad.

We all know that the arguements the antis put forth do not hold water, and that in spite of their efforts they are not getting anywhere.

We may have to wait a bit longer for them to see that all their effort and energy are in fact making "them" look stupid.

stay safe.

skidmark