• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Glock 26 vs Glock 30 vs Sigma 9mm

pilotguy

imported post

So, This will be my first handgun. I'm gonna spend some time at the range then get my ccw and then maybe oc. Thoughts on a good first weapon?

bobcat

imported post

There's a gazillion choices out there. Try to shoot as many different pistols and revolvers as you can before you buy. Or, if you just can't make up your mind, buy several.;)

Glocks are inexpensive, reliable and simple. Can't go wrong there, IMHO.

Whatever you buy, get plenty of ammo and shoot, shoot, shoot.

Take some good training classes and shoot some more.

Have FUN!:D

Oh, and whatever you buy, you'll want to get several holsters for each.

Even more fun, cause you gotta break'em in.:)

Comp-tech

State Researcher
imported post

I've owned a couple of Glocks over the years and have found them to be decent, reliable and fairly accurate pistols but I've found that the Sigma fits me better "ergo wise".
I think the Sigma is hard to beat for the money...although they do seem to have a bit heavier trigger...but otherwise, they seem to be "on par" with Glock and even better than a few other more expensive guns I've owned. I now carry my Sigma daily...
Shop around and get your hands on several different pistols before you buy...maybe even rent/shoot a few as well...then decide what you like and "fits" your hands best.
Then, like bobcat said, get some training and shoot, shoot, shoot...

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

Glocks are good choices, I'm not fond of the triggers on stock SIGMAs(way to heavy) but they can be fixed. I'd suggest the M&Ps instead.

Slayer of Paper

imported post

Don't know anything about the sigma, sorry. As far as the Glocks, it's really just a matter of personal preference really.

Either one carries plenty of ammo. Although the G26 can carry a little more in the backup mag, they are the same in the standard mag- 10 + 1 (though the G30 has a 9 round mag that makes the handle slightly shorter).

The only real difference is that the .45 is a more powerful round, while the G26 is much lighter, and a bit smaller. It's a give and take, really. The 9mm is definitely a capable self defense round, particularly with +P 147 grain JHPs (which the G26 can handle with no problem).

If it was me, I'd be leaning slightly towards the G30 at the moment, but I'd want to see how much difference the weight made after carrying all day.

You might also consider the G23 or G27 which are both .40 S&W, and a good compromise between the strengths of both.

cREbralFIX

imported post

This is clearly going to be a defense gun, not a "fun" gun.

Anyone who knows a bit of recent gun industry history knows that the the S&W Sigma is a turd. Don't waste your money. Spend a bit more and get at least a Glock...or something that's been PROVEN.

Beretta
Browning
HK
Glock
Kahr
SIG
Springfield Armory (not XD)
S&W (not Sigma, not M&P semi-auto)
Ruger (not LCP or SR9)
...and others...maybe Colt

In short...if it doesn't have at least a five to ten years of history, then it's new. New guns have bugs...as shown by Ruger's recall of the SR9.

Just don't buy cheap. That means no Rock Island Armory, Bersa, Taurus, Hi-Point, Jennings, and so forth. I know there are Taurus and Bersa fans out there, but those guns just aren't that durable. The keys to defense in terms of hardware is reliability and durability over long periods of time. A Taurus may shoot well and be reliable, but probably won't stand up to serious training and the high round counts that go with it.

Additionally, buy from Virginia Arms if you're in NoVA (no I don't work there...but I have spent lots of money there). They guarantee everything that goes out their door...even a year down the road after purchase.

Don't be lured by price. Even so, there will be HUGE variances in pricing, even in NoVA. I've seen Glocks at VA Arms or Guns and Ammo Warehouse for $530ish priced in the $700 range at Blue Ridge Arsenal. Gilbert's has crazy prices too. Though you can get a Glock at a gun show for $479, you won't get any support...once sold, that's it.

If you train...and you should...then you'll need something that will withstand the use.

BTW, your second handgun should be identical to your first handgun. I had NO gun for over a month because my SIG P220 broke after around 5,000+ rounds and a gazillion dry-fires. A $5 part broke, rendering the gun useless. I had no back-up and couldn't find another P220. SIG took care of it, but I should have been prepared.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Well, my personal preferences run to Sig P-series DA/SA, Springfield Arms XDs, or a quality 1911. I don't personally care for Glocks, although I recognize that they are quality, functional sidearms, and have explained in detail on the forum why that is so, so I won't muck up this thread with the details.

You posited Glock 26 v Glock 30 v Sigma 9mm. I agree with others as to the Sigma. While I have never fired one, I have handled them and dryfired them and my personal experience coupled with tales from friends and readings online would lead me to not recommend them.

That leaves Glock 26 v Glock 30. In essence just a 9mm v .45 choice. One of my best friends carries a 30 and I have shot it quite a bit. I assume you have held the two for fit and that they fit your hand and have a good natural point of aim for you. The 30 doesn't fit me. My buddy is 5'8" and wears a medium glove. I am 6' 3" and wear an x-large glove. Fits his hand well, for me it is a noisy, annoying cricket with an annoying amount of recoil. If my life revolved around shooting it I would cut off my strong side pinky finger as it just gets in the way. I have't shot the 26, however I would expect the same without the annoying amount of recoil.

So assuming that you have held them both and they both fit you ergonomically, the question really is 9mm v .45. I would suggest you go with the 9mm. With that very short grip .45 as a new shooter I would be concerned about developing bad habits in reaction to the recoil which is exaggerated with a smaller, lighter pistol. Plus, shooting with a heavy caliber in a small, light gun just wears you out faster.

The 9mm is a lot less expensive to shoot and I expect more comfortable to shoot in sub-compact. For a new shooter getting out there and shooting is the most important thing and to do that it has to be 1) affordable and 2) comfortable/enjoyable. I think that the Glock 26 would better serve a new gun owner in both of these regards.

Comp-tech

State Researcher
imported post

cREbralFIX wrote:

Anyone who knows a bit of recent gun industry history knows that the the S&W Sigma is a turd.
I would agree that the first gen Sigma was a real turd but the current series has come a LONG way....mine (SW9gve) has just over 3k through it now and has never had a FTF nor FTE no matter what I've fed it....my son-in-laws Sigma 40 seems to be following nicely with around 1k trough it as well.
As far as being PROVEN...the Sigma has been proven ...enough so that is is being used in actual COMBAT "as we speak".
With the exception of the heavier trigger (which I fixed), I'd have to put it on par with the Glocks that I've owned.
In my 30+ years of shooting and "smithing" as a hobby, (in addition to owning most of the brands that you mention at one time or another) I can tell you that your perceptions of some of the brands you mention are way off base......especially Sigma's and current Taurus pistols.

Weak 9mm

imported post

To continue the comment above, I also HIGHLY disagree with the comment that "this will not be a fun gun."

My Glock 26 is a gun you can shoot every single day. It's incredibly accurate and incredibly potent for the size, yet is extremely controllable and is not the least bit uncomfortable to shoot. I use +P+ ammunition in it all the time and it feels almost identical to the Glock 17 actually, so it's definitely a "fun gun." There's nothing even remotely uncomfortable about firing it. Not to mention target ammo is under $20/100rds. I absolutely LOVE mine. I wouldn't pay over $500 for the standard sight model though, I believe I paid $480 for mine at a local store.

I would get the 26 over the 30 for a number of reasons, but for me the biggest reason is simply due to the size difference. The Glock 30 is the size of a Glock 19 pretty much, and it's wider. The difference in width is really noticeable actually. There's not a huge difference in the performance of the 9mm and the .45ACP, yet the price difference for target ammo is large. I would go with that G26 and call it a day, you wont be disappointed. I can tell you that the G26 will be super reliable right out of the box. My G26 has never jammed with anything I've fed it and the first rounds I ever put through it were +P+ JHP's, neither has my Glock 17 for that matter. The Glock 26 also has a fully supported chamber, if you happen to care about that.

Wynder

State Researcher
imported post

As a former Sigma owner, I say no to that.

Honestly consider at Springfield XD -- not the new XDM, just your standard XD. They're fairly inexpensive, reliable, they'll eat any ammunition you put through the barrel, and they have the 1911 style angled grip for when you want to buy one some years down the line (and you most likely will! ;p).

Weak 9mm

imported post

The only problem with the XD is that even the Subcompact model is massive compared to a Glock 26.

I don't have anything against XD's, they're good firearms. I simply prefer the subcompact Glock.

Wynder

State Researcher
imported post

Weak 9mm wrote:
The only problem with the XD is that even the Subcompact model is massive compared to a Glock 26.

I don't have anything against XD's, they're good firearms. I simply prefer the subcompact Glock.
I've never held a Glock 26... Though, since I primarily open carry, I'd prefer my service model (4") anyway since concealment isn't really an issue.

230therapy

imported post

Gotta go with Weak 9mm's assessment on this one: Glock 26.

It gets you concealability (since this is a defensive gun) and the versatility of the Glock 9mm design. The Glock 17 and 19 magazines will fit in the G26 and work reliably. Holsters made for the G17 or G19 will fit the G26. You will have an excuse to get all three models if you just get a G17 holster :celebrate

I just noticed it's your first handgun. For learning, you should have a full length grip. Get a Glock 19 magazine and an A&G Grip Adapter. The result is a G19 length grip that provides full palm support (rather than just the finger support that the finger rest magazine bases provide). The grip adapter will help you maintain even side-to-side pressure on the gun while learning.

rob99vmi04

imported post

cREbralFIX wrote:

Anyone who knows a bit of recent gun industry history knows that the the S&W Sigma is a turd. Don't waste your money. Spend a bit more and get at least a Glock...or something that's been PROVEN.

Beretta
Browning
HK
Glock
Kahr
SIG
Springfield Armory (not XD)
S&W (not Sigma, not M&P semi-auto)
Ruger (not LCP or SR9)
...and others...maybe Colt

In short...if it doesn't have at least a five to ten years of history, then it's new. New guns have bugs...as shown by Ruger's recall of the SR9.

Just don't buy cheap. That means no Rock Island Armory, Bersa, Taurus, Hi-Point, Jennings, and so forth. I know there are Taurus and Bersa fans out there, but those guns just aren't that durable. The keys to defense in terms of hardware is reliability and durability over long periods of time. A Taurus may shoot well and be reliable, but probably won't stand up to serious training and the high round counts that go with it.

Additionally, buy from Virginia Arms if you're in NoVA (no I don't work there...but I have spent lots of money there). They guarantee everything that goes out their door...even a year down the road after purchase.

Don't be lured by price. Even so, there will be HUGE variances in pricing, even in NoVA. I've seen Glocks at VA Arms or Guns and Ammo Warehouse for $530ish priced in the $700 range at Blue Ridge Arsenal. Gilbert's has crazy prices too. Though you can get a Glock at a gun show for $479, you won't get any support...once sold, that's it.
Blue Arsenal sells their Glocks for 549.99 and giveyou $40 in range time. Value wise your getting the gun for 509.99. I know Berny is a good guy however, if you live in Fairfax. Why would I spend $20 in gas money for something I could get more value for right here in chantilly at BRA.
They also have the LE/Military Discount on Glocks with 3 mags for $425.00 so i'm not sure where you got your $ data from but your incorrect. As far as the guarentee. John From BRA pretty much can fix most guns on the spot. Hes HK, SIG, GLock....Certified Armor.

Marco

imported post

rob99vmi04 wrote:
Blue Arsenal sells their Glocks for 549.99 and gives you $40 in range time. Value wise your getting the gun for 509.99. I know Berny is a good guy however, if you live in Fairfax. Why would I spend $20 in gas money for something

They also have the LE/Military Discount on Glocks with 3 mags for $425.00 so i'm not sure where you got your $ data from but your incorrect. As far as the guarantee. John From BRA pretty much can fix most guns on the spot. Hes HK, SIG, GLock....Certified Armor.
OP,
I have no complaints about Sig, HK, Glock, Para, Browing HP's, Beretta 92 (except size), Springfield 1991A1, Colt 1911 variants and even had good look with Steyr (M & S) and S&W 4506, 4006 and 10 series.
As a owner of a Sigma SW40F ( bought in 1996) and a XD Tactical (boughtin 2007)they are decent and have yet to break.

I have had bad luck with Kimber 1911's and Taurus PT-92's and Rossi revolvers.

[line]

Andy aka rob99vmi04
Did Earl and Deborah lift their ban on BRA employees talking about BRA on line??
You have a dog in this fight because you work at BRA (wage + comm).

[line]
Getting the best price isn't always priority.
Anyone can take your money it is how they treat their customers.
[line]
cREbralFIX, was it your hammer return spring that broke?
If it was, I had the same thing happen to me yrs ago on my P220.
Sig's service was excellent and they didn't charge me a thing to repair it.
The gun came back completely refurbished.:D

cREbralFIX

imported post

I did see OVERPRICED Glocks at Blue Ridge Arsenal...as well as stupid prices on SIGs and other guns. They have since come down (as in within the last year). I have gone in there many times over the years to find consignment guns priced higher than new ones at Loudoun, Virginia Arms, and G&A Warehouse. Additionally, BRA has a terrible selection...a friend of mine mentioned it today at lunch. "There wasn't enough stock in there to keep me interested for TEN minutes."

Only Gilbert's "non-member" prices are as bad.:banghead: