• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Shoot First, Ask Later - In Prince George's, a drug bust goes awry.

yankees98a

imported post

THE DRUG raid by Prince George's County law officers on the home of Berwyn Heights Mayor Cheye Calvo last week was a Keystone Kops operation from start to finish.
Acting on a tip that a 32-pound package of marijuana had been sent by Federal Express from Arizona to Mr. Calvo's home (addressed to his wife, Trinity Tomsic), Prince George's police swung into action. Which is to say they got on the phone, calling law enforcement agencies to see who might have a SWAT team available to bust the unsuspecting Calvo family. (It seems the police department's own team was tied up.) After being turned down at least once, they finally struck a deal with the Prince George's Sheriff's Office, whose track record with domestic disputes is extensive but whose experience with drug busts is slight. And it showed.
Without bothering to alert Berwyn Heights police, sheriff's deputies moved into position. Posing as a deliveryman, a deputy took the package to the family's door. After Mr. Calvo's mother-in-law initially refused to sign for it, the package was finally taken into the home, where it sat, unopened, on the living room floor. Whereupon the deputies, guns drawn, kicked in the door, stormed the house and shot to death the Calvos' two Labrador retrievers, one of them, apparently, as it attempted to flee. The canine threat thus dispatched, the mayor -- in his briefs -- and his mother-in-law were handcuffed and interrogated in close proximity to the bloodied corpses of their dogs.
Within an hour, it seems, the police concluded that something was seriously wrong and that there was at least a strong possibility that the Calvos -- whose home contained not the slightest evidence of involvement in the drug trade -- were unsuspecting victims. The deputies left without making arrests. And yesterday, county police announced the arrest of a deliveryman and another person suspected in a scheme to smuggle hundreds of pounds of marijuana by shipping packages addressed to unsuspecting recipients such as the Calvos.
The Post's Rosalind S. Helderman has reported that when deputies stormed the Calvo household, they didn't even have a no-knock search warrant, the tool specifically designated under Maryland law to deal with searches that police do not wish to announce because they could be dangerous. They had plain vanilla warrants to enter the house and seize the package. In other words, they should have knocked.
Law enforcement officers are justifiably cautious during drug busts, knowing that traffickers frequently are armed and dangerous. In this case, even a cursory investigation prior to the raid might have given the authorities pause about kicking in the door and entering with guns blazing. The sheriff, Michael Jackson, seems embarrassed by the whole episode. He should be.

echo6tango

imported post

PG County Maryland...I can't even say anything else...except:

I would LOVE to see those that actually pulled the triggers on the two dogs say (with a straight face) that they were intimidated by a couple of suburban black labs to the point where deadly force was justified.

Thundar

imported post

echo6tango wrote:

I would LOVE to see those that actually pulled the triggers on the two dogs say (with a straight face) that they were intimidated by a couple of suburban black labs to the point where deadly force was justified.
Dogs are routinely shot by BATFE and DEA because the barking alerts the victims of the approach of the JBTs. Add PG Sheriffs Dept to the list.

Decoligny

imported post

Thundar wrote:
echo6tango wrote:

Dogs are routinely shot by BATFE and DEA because the barking alerts the victims of the approach of the JBTs. Add PG Sheriffs Dept to the list.
And the gunfire in the living room doesn't alert them ? ? ? :banghead:

Jim675

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I spewed lemonade at that one.
Maybe they used suppressed weapons and first blindfolded the residents so they wouldn't know their dogs were being shot.
Is Col Flagg now a SWAT member?