• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Positive encounter @ Lacey Costco

TechnoWeenie

imported post

I'm not a member of costco, but frequently go there for a hotdog & soda (~$1.50!), they also have some good berry sundaes.. which you don't have to be a member to buy... but I digress....

I went in yesterday to grab some food, I was just putting onions on my hot dog when I was approached by a manager...Who said, and I'll try to be as accurate as possible.. 'Hi, I know you have a right to carry that here in Washington, and I dont want you to break the law or anything by asking you to conceal it, but since we have members and we're a private membership club, I'd appreciate it if you wouldn't do that here, because we are private, and I understand it's your right to, and I know it's completely legal... (he started stammering, trailing off, seemed REALLY nervous)..

I politely interrupted him, and said 'Oh, I understand completely, it's private property, and I'll respect that, since it's private property you can make the rules, I'll respect that'

He kinda stammered an 'ok'...... then just stood there for a second, never asking me to conceal, or leave, or anything... After a short pause, bout 3 seconds or so, I asked him 'Would you prefer that I conceal?' ...... He said (shaky voice)' yeah, yeah I don't want you to break the law, I know you can to wear it like that, it's your right'.. I told him I had a CPL, that it wasn't a problem, and I pulled my shirt down over my Glock.. He said he appreciated my cooperation, and again stressed that he knew it was my right, but thanked me for concealing. We then parted ways..

Overall, it was a good encounter....

He knew the law, he understood my rights, and his rights as a property manager on private property, he was very polite, non-confrontational, although EXTREMELY nervous to the point that his voice was shaky.

There are those that are gonna moan, bitch, and yell about how I should've kept it open, or made a scene, but this 'campaign' is about education, the manager knew the law, knew his rights and mine, and worked to a compromise. He also said this in front of the 30 or so people in the food court area, so EVERYONE that had their eyes/ears on us heard him say that it was legal, he knew it was my right, but he'd prefer I not do it. Me showing humility and concealing FURTHER shows the sheeple people that not everyone with a gun strapped to their waist is gonna shoot up the place..

okkid

imported post

I have np with stores that dont want me to open carry as I will cc
because they have np with that.

I say good job.

Triple Tap

imported post

okkid wrote:
I have np with stores that dont want me to open carry as I will cc
because they have np with that.

I say good job.
okkid,

Costco's policy is NO GUNs. Not even CC allowed. So if your CCing you are breaking thier policy, rules, membership. I have turned in my business membership with a (polite) letter of No Guns / No Cash / No Thank You.

okkid

imported post

I understand on the no guns there but I was talking about other stores
that have np with CC but dont like oc.

just_a_car

imported post

TW, even though normally I'd say "go hardline and tell them it's either allow my OC or kick me out", in this case I think you made the right decision.

As has been stated and is clear on the DNP List, Costco's policy is no guns, CC or OC. Thus, the fact that this manager was willing to BREAK policy and allow you just conceal it instead of kicking you out is respecting your right to keep and bear arms and shows he's willing to make a concession for such. I think your willingness to make a concession in turn by concealing shows good faith and presents the kind of 'Good Guys With Guns' attitude that we want the public to see us as.

*Thumbs Up!*

FE427TP

imported post

I'd go back there look for him or have him paged and thank him again, tell him you understood he was nervous with his request to a person openly carrying a gun which you can see concerned him and then tell him you hope your example shows that law abiding citizens who carry a gun are looking to have peaceful encounters with their fellow citizens and to avoid negative encounters

LongRider

imported post

I think that you did EXCELLENT for this reason. From your description the manager felt that he was placing his life at risk confronting a man with a gun. Now we all know how absurd that is but in his mind it is very real possibility that you would get ticked off and blow him away. At dinner when it comes up that IS how he will present it. Because that IS what he believed, he is not alone many displace their own shortcomings onto us and "feel" that people with guns will resolve conflict with guns. I can not count the number of times I have heard it used as an argument against carry in colleges. That possession of guns would end debate and free expression because people would be afraid of being blown away in the midst of a heated debate. You showed over thirty people the fallacy of that myth calm collected respectful of other peoples rights and humble. I am sure that drawing your gun did not even enter your mind but it did to those around you. Had you gotten into a heated debate many would have bailed out of fear. My bet is many may very well walk away thinking the manager was brave and very lucky he did not get shot. But some of those that heard the exchange will walk away rethinking that part of their objection to carry, maybe enough to open the door reevaluate their anti position. So EXCELLENT job IMO
Or I could have blown the whole thing out of proportion and the exchange is a none issue to everyone there other than being slightly irked by being delayed from getting their dog.

3/325

imported post

Witnesses will judge you by your behavior and your demeanor.

Sounds like it was well-handled. People got to see a gun owner who wasn't anti-social, rude, confrontational, or extremist (you know, all those characteristics with which the media continue to paint us).

GreatWhiteLlama

imported post

just_a_car wrote:
TW, even though normally I'd say "go hardline and tell them it's either allow my OC or kick me out", in this case I think you made the right decision.

As has been stated and is clear on the DNP List, Costco's policy is no guns, CC or OC. Thus, the fact that this manager was willing to BREAK policy and allow you just conceal it instead of kicking you out is respecting your right to keep and bear arms and shows he's willing to make a concession for such. I think your willingness to make a concession in turn by concealing shows good faith and presents the kind of 'Good Guys With Guns' attitude that we want the public to see us as.

*Thumbs Up!*
I agree. I'm not sure this could have gone any better.

Also, if you do get a chance to talk with him again, perhaps you could inquire as to his knowledge of OC legality.

His obvious fear of confronting someone who was armed (a trait of someone with no or very little knowledge of firearm carriers) and yet knowing that carrying openly was lawful (a trait of very few (but growing) number of firearm carriers).

It is possible that Corporate simply sent a memo out to Costco managment/staff, but if they had I imagine he might have brought up the Costco policy.