Thread: Young Person of the Day

Post imported post

I met this young man at the Burger King in Doswell.

He was with his grandfather? and the grandfatheris not into guns,

but this young man is.Check out his shirt, esp the back...

He said he bought his shirt at a gun show in Florida ...of course

i told him about the gun show in Richmond this weekend

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

OMG...I want that shirt!

Post imported post

YES, where to buy??!??!

Post imported post

DHCruiser wrote:
    OMG...I want that shirt!
    +1

Post imported post

All the SCCC people at VA Tech whould have one. I want one too. If it ain't copyrighted there's a T-shirt company here that can remake them.

INFO?

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

I was looking earlier, when I saw this. Alas, I was interrupted by work!. Anyway, CafePress has some, but I haven't found the shirt in the photo, yet.

Post imported post

Neplusultra wrote:
    All the SCCC people at VA Tech whould have one. I want one too. If it ain't copyrighted there's a T-shirt company here that can remake them.

INFO?
    the boy and his family live in Fla and were just up here visiting..

i know that there was a man at the vcdl picnic that had the same Front

as the boy's shirt, but i have no idea what, if anything, he had written

on the back of his...anybody know who the guy at the picnic was?

The front says choose one...Gun Owner or Victim

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar

Post imported post

I found this one and other of similar style at: http://www.therightshirts.com/politi...i/progunshirts
    Yata hey
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Alexandria, Fairfax County, Virginia, USA

Post imported post

Laws alone can not secure freedom of expression; in order that every man present his views without penalty there must be spirit of tolerance in the entire population. -Albert Einstein

Post imported post

Tess wrote: GREAT job Tess!!

Post imported post

Tess wrote: Thank you maam!

Post imported post

Tess wrote: Good job, Tess.

I looked all over.

Alexandria, Fairfax County, Virginia, USA

Post imported post

Glock27Bill wrote:
    Good job, Tess.

I looked all over.
    I searched on "an assembly of helpless victims" instead of "gun-free zone". Narrowed the search a lot!
    Laws alone can not secure freedom of expression; in order that every man present his views without penalty there must be spirit of tolerance in the entire population. -Albert Einstein

Post imported post

Tess wrote:
    Glock27Bill wrote:
    Good job, Tess.

I looked all over.
    I searched on "an assembly of helpless victims" instead of "gun-free zone". Narrowed the search a lot!
    Can it be that such a small thing separates the masters from the plebes?

Also, is that really you with the class three silencer??? :^).

Post imported post

Neplusultra wrote:
    Tess wrote:
    Glock27Bill wrote:
    Good job, Tess.

I looked all over.

No that is not Tess. She is a whole lot younger than the gal in the pic. I had the privilege of meeting her at the VCDL picnic in Newport New a few weeks back.
    AD1(AW) USN (ACT) 12/07/1997-10/02/2011
    TSgt USAFR 10/03/2011-?
    Owner-Bullbuster Taxidermy
    Kids who hunt and fish, don't steal and deal

Post imported post

Bullbuster wrote:
    Neplusultra wrote:
    Tess wrote:
    Glock27Bill wrote:
    Good job, Tess.

I looked all over.

No that is not Tess. She is a whole lot younger than the gal in the pic. I had the privilege of meeting her at the VCDL picnic in Newport New a few weeks back.
    Yeah, I know. I've met her before in Richmond. Just making fun of her as a class three wannabe :^).

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

Neplusultra wrote:
    If it ain't copyrighted there's a T-shirt company here that can remake them.
    I know it is a moot point now that the source of the shirts has been found, but copyright rights are automatic for any original work of authorship that is fixed in a tangible medium of expression. Registration of a copyright is optional and is not required to secure the author's rights.

In English: don't make copies of someone else's stuff!

The material presented herein is for informational purposes only, is not guaranteed to be correct, complete, or up to date, does not constitute legal advice, and does not establish an attorney-client relationship. You should NOT act or rely on any information in this post or e-mail without seeking the advice of an attorney YOU have retained.

In plain English, while I am an attorney, I am NOT your attorney, and I am NOT giving you legal advice.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar

Post imported post

Carpetbagger wrote:
    Neplusultra wrote:
    (snip)........ but copyright rights are automatic for any original work of authorship that is fixed in a tangible medium of expression. Registration of a copyright is optional and is not required to secure the author's rights.
    IMHO - So one could take words/expressions commonly used (public domain) and make their own T-shirts even though there might be some similarity with another's product - the idea for the T-shirt is not exactly original nor exclusive either. I see no trademark infringements. BTW - I am not suggesting photocopy reproduction of the product.

What say you, sir?

Yata hey
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
    Carpetbagger wrote:
    Neplusultra wrote:
    (snip)........ but copyright rights are automatic for any original work of authorship that is fixed in a tangible medium of expression. Registration of a copyright is optional and is not required to secure the author's rights.
    IMHO - So one could take words/expressions commonly used (public domain) and make their own T-shirts even though there might be some similarity with another's product - the idea for the T-shirt is not exactly original nor exclusive either. I see no trademark infringements. BTW - I am not suggesting photocopy reproduction of the product.
    You are absolutely correct that a work must have sufficient originality to have copyright protection. Also, ideas are not protectable, only specific expressions of ideas. So, the t-shirt shown in the OP may or may not have copyright protection. But it is better to be safe and not make copies (which was suggested, although not by you).

Just because something is commonly used does not necessarily mean that it is public domain. The song "Happy Birthday to You" is a good example of this. There is a reason why restaurants sing a different birthday song when a customer is having a birthday.

I don't see that trademarks are implicated here. The potential issue is copyright infringement.

The material presented herein is for informational purposes only, is not guaranteed to be correct, complete, or up to date, does not constitute legal advice, and does not establish an attorney-client relationship. You should NOT act or rely on any information in this post or e-mail without seeking the advice of an attorney YOU have retained.

In plain English, while I am an attorney, I am not YOUR attorney, and I am NOT giving you legal advice.

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

OT, but people seem interested. A good, free, book that I just finished reading on [the problems with] Intellectual Property is available as a download from the Ludwig von Mises Institute (Very good pro-freedom website named after the Economist by the same name).
    http://mises.org/books/against.pdf

Post imported post

As soon as I read the shirt I knew I had recently seen it, but couldn't remember where. Once Tess found it I knew it was the same sight Grapeshot referanced when he thought he found my shirtfrom my avatar photo.

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

I ordered the Gun Free Zone shirt and another through the Passionate Patriot website last week and they arrived by Friday. Fast shipping and good service. The other was the 10 out of 10 Terrorists shirt.

I wore the shirt Sunday while OC'ing in Reston at Starbuck, Barnes & Noble & Best Buy. A gentleman in B&N asked if I was carrying a Smith & Wesson and a brief conversation about my Sig and Open Carry ensued. He seemed curious and I left him with one of Ed's cards. The checker in BB thought the shirt was cool...and no look/see pass by the manager this week.

Cheers!

ck