• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Young Person of the Day

FiringBack

imported post

I met this young man at the Burger King in Doswell.

He was with his grandfather? and the grandfatheris not into guns,

but this young man is.Check out his shirt, esp the back...

He said he bought his shirt at a gun show in Florida ...of course

i told him about the gun show in Richmond this weekend :)

FiringBack

imported post

Neplusultra wrote:
All the SCCC people at VA Tech whould have one. I want one too. If it ain't copyrighted there's a T-shirt company here that can remake them.

INFO?

the boy and his family live in Fla and were just up here visiting..

i know that there was a man at the vcdl picnic that had the same Front

as the boy's shirt, but i have no idea what, if anything, he had written

on the back of his...anybody know who the guy at the picnic was?

The front says choose one...Gun Owner or Victim

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Glock27Bill wrote:
Good job, Tess.

I looked all over.
I searched on "an assembly of helpless victims" instead of "gun-free zone". Narrowed the search a lot!

Bullbuster

imported post

Neplusultra wrote:
Tess wrote:
Glock27Bill wrote:
Good job, Tess.

I looked all over.
I searched on "an assembly of helpless victims" instead of "gun-free zone". Narrowed the search a lot!
Can it be that such a small thing separates the masters from the plebes?

Also, is that really you with the class three silencer??? :^).
No that is not Tess. She is a whole lot younger than the gal in the pic. I had the privilege of meeting her at the VCDL picnic in Newport New a few weeks back.

Neplusultra

imported post

Bullbuster wrote:
Neplusultra wrote:
Tess wrote:
Glock27Bill wrote:
Good job, Tess.

I looked all over.
Can it be that such a small thing separates the masters from the plebes?

Also, is that really you with the class three silencer??? :^).
No that is not Tess. She is a whole lot younger than the gal in the pic. I had the privilege of meeting her at the VCDL picnic in Newport New a few weeks back.
Yeah, I know. I've met her before in Richmond. Just making fun of her as a class three wannabe :^).

Carpetbagger

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Neplusultra wrote:
If it ain't copyrighted there's a T-shirt company here that can remake them.

I know it is a moot point now that the source of the shirts has been found, but copyright rights are automatic for any original work of authorship that is fixed in a tangible medium of expression. Registration of a copyright is optional and is not required to secure the author's rights.

In English: don't make copies of someone else's stuff!

[suB]The material presented herein is for informational purposes only, is not guaranteed to be correct, complete, or up to date, does not constitute legal advice, and does not establish an attorney-client relationship. You should NOT act or rely on any information in this post or e-mail without seeking the advice of an attorney YOU have retained.

In plain English, while I am an attorney, I am NOT your attorney, and I am NOT giving you legal advice. [/suB]

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Carpetbagger wrote:
Neplusultra wrote:
(snip)........ but copyright rights are automatic for any original work of authorship that is fixed in a tangible medium of expression. Registration of a copyright is optional and is not required to secure the author's rights.

[sub][/sub]
IMHO - So one could take words/expressions commonly used (public domain) and make their own T-shirts even though there might be some similarity with another's product - the idea for the T-shirt is not exactly original nor exclusive either. I see no trademark infringements. BTW - I am not suggesting photocopy reproduction of the product.

What say you, sir?

Yata hey

Carpetbagger

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
Carpetbagger wrote:
Neplusultra wrote:
(snip)........ but copyright rights are automatic for any original work of authorship that is fixed in a tangible medium of expression. Registration of a copyright is optional and is not required to secure the author's rights.

[suB][/suB]
IMHO - So one could take words/expressions commonly used (public domain) and make their own T-shirts even though there might be some similarity with another's product - the idea for the T-shirt is not exactly original nor exclusive either. I see no trademark infringements. BTW - I am not suggesting photocopy reproduction of the product.
You are absolutely correct that a work must have sufficient originality to have copyright protection. Also, ideas are not protectable, only specific expressions of ideas. So, the t-shirt shown in the OP may or may not have copyright protection. But it is better to be safe and not make copies (which was suggested, although not by you).

Just because something is commonly used does not necessarily mean that it is public domain. The song "Happy Birthday to You" is a good example of this. There is a reason why restaurants sing a different birthday song when a customer is having a birthday.

I don't see that trademarks are implicated here. The potential issue is copyright infringement.

[suB]The material presented herein is for informational purposes only, is not guaranteed to be correct, complete, or up to date, does not constitute legal advice, and does not establish an attorney-client relationship. You should NOT act or rely on any information in this post or e-mail without seeking the advice of an attorney YOU have retained.

In plain English, while I am an attorney, I am not YOUR attorney, and I am NOT giving you legal advice. [/suB]