Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 34

Thread: Really need to find a new bank!

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Gig Harbor, Washington, USA
    Posts
    286

    Post imported post

    Wow, apparently when I have a bad OC day, I really have a bad OC day.

    I had decided to leave USBank due to non-2A reasons (they screwed me on some OD charges) after I decided to close my accounts there I went over to Rainier Pacific and opened an account there. At first they seemed fine with my Kimber on my hip. The lady I opened my account with asked if it was real, I told her yes and then she went on to say that she used to live in Texas and was used to seeing that "kind of thing". Confused me a little bit since Texas is not an OC friendly state :? but I didn't say anthing about it.

    A few days later, got my new card in the mail, also got a piece of Certified Mail, had to sign for it and everything. I broke the seal on the mail and opened it. It contained a letter from USbank that read the following.

    Mr. ******,

    This letter is to notify you that US Bank prohibits firearms including handguns, weather
    (yes, I know they misspelled "whether", but hey I didn't write this letter) concealed or not, in it's branches or on it's property. The only exception would be Law Enforcement officers and authorized Security personal (misspelled "personnel" as well). US Bank branches are private property and US Bank is within it's rights to prohibit firearms on the premises. Please know that as a valuable customer you are welcome to visit any US Bank branch, however US Bank insists that you do so without a firearm. In the future if you bring a firearm with you onto US Bank property you will be considered to be trespassing. Please feel free to call me at ***-***-**** if you have any questions.

    Sincerely,
    T. Violo
    Corporate Security Investigations


    Completely blindsided by this since no one has ever asked me to leave the primary bank branch that I went to. No one's even mentioned it to me before. I'm still in the process of contacting corporate to see what's going on here. Also, correct me if I'm wrong but they cannot trespass me if no one has asked me to leave yet, right?

    Anyways, right after I read this letter I headed to Rainier Pac to activate my new card and as soon as I walked in the lady that I originally opened my account with stood up and said that she had contacted corporate and they would not allow my firearm inside the building. She said I could go through the drive thru. #$*&ing insulting. Told them I'd be back later to close my account. I turned around and walked right back outside.

    Frustrated at this point, I walk over to Key Bank. I walk in and start talking to the rep. there, after all I need to bank somewhere. I can tell they notice the firearm but nobody says anything. Not wanting to go through the whole process of setting up an account and getting kicked out again I ask upfront if I'm going to have any problems carrying my gun. The guy says he's never been asked that before but said he would call the corporate manager and check. So after 10-15 minutes of waiting while he's on the phone he finally gets back to me and says that corporate says it's okay as long as I conceal. I as him why they insist on me concealing. He gives the normal BS about it scaring the other customers. So I walk out of yet another bank today.

    At this point I'm a little more than frustrated, not mad just irritated. I walk over to the last bank in the area, yes there are four banks in one parking lot, Kitsap Credit Union. Finally a somewhat positive reaction. I talked with the manager there about opening an account but that it depended on my ability to carry my firearm. She believed that they are okay with it but would check into it further. She asked for my phone number, which I gave her, and said she would call me back.


    Arggg, so at this point I'm bankless and about to just stuff all my money into a mattress and hide it in the closet. :what: Okay, so not really but still.....


    Anbody know of a good bank thats OC friendly in the Gig Harbor area?

    I still need to check with US Bank and Rainier Pac. corporate just to be certain of their anti-firearm policies, but pending conclusion of those contacts I would suggest adding them to the DNP list.
    DISCLAIMER: This post may contain libertarian ideas and language that are consistent with the Declaration of Independence and the Constitution, including a belief in liberty, rule of law, and natural rights. It may also contain opinions critical of government and the tyrannies being committed by such. If you are an authoritarian, statist, or other freedom hater, side effects of reading this post may include high blood pressure, loose stool, severe genital itching, and diarrhea of the mouth.

  2. #2
    State Researcher
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Olympia, WA, ,
    Posts
    3,201

    Post imported post

    Wow that sucks. I haven't OC'd at my bank (Wells Fargo) but I have been told by managers there that their policy is to allow carry per state law. Plus they don't have those BS "no hats or dark glasses" policies that do NOTHING to stop robbery.

  3. #3
    Founder's Club Member - Moderator Gray Peterson's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Lynnwood, Washington, USA
    Posts
    2,238

    Post imported post

    Here's how I'd respond. Call around US Bank corporate and see who his boss and his boss' boss is, and send him this letter.

    "Mr (Whoever),

    I am displeased to inform you that your Corporate Security Investigator, in his communication to me as a former customer, is obviously so uneducated that he cannot spell words correctly or use proper grammar (see Attached) See "weather" and other things that I have highlighted. That's not even 5th grade writing level. If this is the kind of caliber of employees that your company hires, then it's no wonder that I closed my account with your company."

    "On top of the fact that your workforce seems to be quite uneducated , Mr. Violo brought forth a policy that was previously unknown or anyone else that I know of. Due to this outrage, I will not only report this incident and this letter to all of my local friends and acquaintances (who number in the hundreds), I will also send this letter to every state organization that deals with gun owners rights issues, as well as the National Rifle Association and the Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms so that they may advise their members to not patronize your business. The NRA has over 4 million members, and CCRKBA has over half a million, many of their members have a policy of not patronizing any bank or organization that willfully treats it's gun owning customers like second-class citizens."

    I eagerly await your response."

    Regards,

    (Whoever)

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Washington
    Posts
    2,546

    Post imported post

    Lonnie Wilson wrote:
    Here's how I'd respond. Call around US Bank corporate and see who his boss and his boss' boss is, and send him this letter.

    "Mr (Whoever),

    I am displeased to inform you that your Corporate Security Investigator, in his communication to me as a former customer, is obviously so uneducated that he cannot spell words correctly or use proper grammar (see Attached) See "weather" and other things that I have highlighted. That's not even 5th grade writing level. If this is the kind of caliber of employees that your company hires, then it's no wonder that I closed my account with your company."

    "On top of the fact that your workforce seems to be quite uneducated , Mr. Violo brought forth a policy that was previously unknown or anyone else that I know of. Due to this outrage, I will not only report this incident and this letter to all of my local friends and acquaintances (who number in the hundreds), I will also send this letter to every state organization that deals with gun owners rights issues, as well as the National Rifle Association and the Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms so that they may advise their members to not patronize your business. The NRA has over 4 million members, and CCRKBA has over half a million, many of their members have a policy of not patronizing any bank or organization that willfully treats it's gun owning customers like second-class citizens."

    I eagerly await your response."

    Regards,

    (Whoever)
    Don't make the same mistake the security guy did!

    its = it owns
    it's = it is

    Otherwise, nice
    "If we were to ever consider citizenship as the least bit matter of merit instead of birthright, imagine who should be selected as deserved representation of our democracy: someone who would risk their daily livelihood to cast an individually statistically insignificant vote, or those who wrap themselves in the flag against slightest slights." - agenthex

  5. #5
    Regular Member DEROS72's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    SEATAC, Washington, USA
    Posts
    2,819

    Post imported post

    Wow thats really odd because I bank with US bank and have had exemplary service, even standing at the counter with my para totally visible and they haven't said a word.Well i take that back.The manager told me to cover my weapon once and said it was illegal. I gave him a pamphlet and have had no issues since .My daughter is a branch manager for WAMU,I thinkI will ask her what their policiy is.

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Union, Washington, USA
    Posts
    3,256

    Post imported post

    This guy, Mr Violo, is so stupid that this may not be the banks policy at all but his total misconception or even an ego power trip he is on. I notice he did not include a copy of this so called corporate policy. Yeah, I would take it over his head.

  7. #7
    Regular Member just_a_car's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Auburn, Washington, USA
    Posts
    2,558

    Post imported post

    I have OC'd twice into BECU in Everett and a few other times used the ATM's in their lobby while OC'ing and never had an issue.

    I would imagine that most banks don't disallow firearms for the simple fact that their customers sometimes deal in VERY large quantities of cash and don't want to be unarmed while doing so. Now, disallowing OC, I could see being a policy of a bank, but I would imagine that allowing CC would also follow that.
    B.S. Chemistry UofWA '09
    KF7GEA

  8. #8
    State Researcher Bill Starks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Nortonville, KY, USA
    Posts
    4,291

    Post imported post

    I bank at BECU but the branch is located in a Safeway store and I've had no issue. I also bank at Bank of America and was in the Fife branch on the 5th with my 1911 and had no issues. The security guard at the US Bank on 38th St asked if I had a permit to carry when I went in to cash a check. I've never had another issue with them.
    When I carry in a bank I also ensure I do not have on sunglasses or hat.

  9. #9
    Campaign Veteran deepdiver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Southeast, Missouri, USA
    Posts
    5,974

    Post imported post

    I do a lot of business at US Bank here in MO. I have yet to visit a branch that is a posted GFZ even in the St. Louis area. OC hasn't been an issue as I have always been CC when visiting, but CC certainly is not prohibited at US Bank in this area. If it is a corporate policy as stated in the letter, they certainly haven't gotten the memo in eastern MO.
    Bob Owens @ Bearing Arms (paraphrased): "These people aren't against violence; they're very much in favor of violence. They're against armed resistance."

  10. #10
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Skok Rez, Washington, USA
    Posts
    143

    Post imported post

    kenshin wrote:
    Also, correct me if I'm wrong but they cannot trespass me if no one has asked me to leave yet, right?
    FYI The letter is notice i.e. the request that you not enter USBank property while carrying a gun. It is their request that you leave, it is why they wrote the letter to you. So in the future if you do enter the property you with a gun you will be trespassing. They will use the letter to show that you had been asked not to enter the property while armed.

  11. #11
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Skagit Valley, Washington
    Posts
    451

    Post imported post

    I have had no problem OCing in my local BOA. I have other reasons for some displeasure with BOA, but OC isn't on the list.
    I get an occasional stink-eye from an employee, but no words.

  12. #12
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Snohomish, Washington, USA
    Posts
    113

    Post imported post

    I have banked while OCing at WaMu locations from Auburn to Bellingham and never had an issue. The Mill Creek local @ 164th st knows me by name and even comment when I'm not OCing. I've never been asked to produce ID/CPL or to cover it up they just let me do my business and get me on my way.

  13. #13
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Gig Harbor, Washington, USA
    Posts
    286

    Post imported post

    LongRider wrote:
    kenshin wrote:
    Also, correct me if I'm wrong but they cannot trespass me if no one has asked me to leave yet, right?
    FYI The letter is notice i.e. the request that you not enter USBank property while carrying a gun. It is their request that you leave, it is why they wrote the letter to you. So in the future if you do enter the property you with a gun you will be trespassing. They will use the letter to show that you had been asked not to enter the property while armed.
    But wouldn't this letter fall under the same category as those no-gun stickers that businesses put in the windows? In Washington those have no legal standing on their own, you can ignore them until they ask you to leave.

    I'm not advocating that they shouldn't be entitled to their private property rights, I absolutely agree that they should have the right to ask me to leave. However, on the other hand they are still holding a significant amount my money that I feel I should have the right to protect when I go to close my last account there.
    DISCLAIMER: This post may contain libertarian ideas and language that are consistent with the Declaration of Independence and the Constitution, including a belief in liberty, rule of law, and natural rights. It may also contain opinions critical of government and the tyrannies being committed by such. If you are an authoritarian, statist, or other freedom hater, side effects of reading this post may include high blood pressure, loose stool, severe genital itching, and diarrhea of the mouth.

  14. #14
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    1,026

    Post imported post

    kenshin wrote:
    LongRider wrote:
    kenshin wrote:
    Also, correct me if I'm wrong but they cannot trespass me if no one has asked me to leave yet, right?
    FYI The letter is notice i.e. the request that you not enter USBank property while carrying a gun. It is their request that you leave, it is why they wrote the letter to you. So in the future if you do enter the property you with a gun you will be trespassing. They will use the letter to show that you had been asked not to enter the property while armed.
    But wouldn't this letter fall under the same category as those no-gun stickers that businesses put in the windows? In Washington those have no legal standing on their own, you can ignore them until they ask you to leave.

    I'm not advocating that they shouldn't be entitled to their private property rights, I absolutely agree that they should have the right to ask me to leave. However, on the other hand they are still holding a significant amount my money that I feel I should have the right to protect when I go to close my last account there.
    Since the letter was sent 'signed reciept', then it could be argued (probbably sucessfully) that he was given specific notice of thier request, and the conditions under which he would be concidered 'trespassing'.

    A sticker is a general notice, and could easily be innocently missed.

  15. #15
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Union, Washington, USA
    Posts
    3,256

    Post imported post

    I still think Mr."I can't spell and am too stupid to use spell check" is not actually knowledgeable on the subject and is misrepresenting the issue. You need to contact his boss or even a VP of the bank. In the past when doing race equipment transactions, cash was often required and I don't walk around with up to $4000 in my pocket without a gun. The 2 banks I use have no problem with that either.

    The letter suffices to have you ticketed for trepassif you carry again on the banks property.

  16. #16
    Campaign Veteran deepdiver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Southeast, Missouri, USA
    Posts
    5,974

    Post imported post

    So go through the drive-thru. You have made your point as well as you are going to make it. They have made their point. This is not worth getting arrested over I wouldn't think. They have sent you written notice to not bring your gun to their banks, sent certified mail, return receipt I am sure. That beats the heck out of "well I said to him" in a court of law.

    Being that I have been in US Bank locations throughout MO and several in KY and have seen none of them posted as GFZ, this does not appear to be a national policy. US Bank is a national bank. This appears to be a local or regional policy. Rather than fighting it with people who have obviously already made up their minds, I agree that you need to take it to a higher level to have a chance at a positive resolution.


    Lonnie Wilson wrote:
    Here's how I'd respond. Call around US Bank corporate and see who his boss and his boss' boss is, and send him this letter.

    "Mr (Whoever),

    I am displeased to inform you that your Corporate Security Investigator, in his communication to me as a former customer, is obviously so uneducated that he cannot spell words correctly or use proper grammar (see Attached) See "weather" and other things that I have highlighted. That's not even 5th grade writing level. If this is the kind of caliber of employees that your company hires, then it's no wonder that I closed my account with your company."

    "On top of the fact that your workforce seems to be quite uneducated , Mr. Violo brought forth a policy that was previously unknown to me or other customers with whom I discussed this matter. Due to this outrage, I will not only report this incident and this letter to all of my local friends and acquaintances (who number in the hundreds), I will also send this letter to every state organization that deals with gun owners rights issues, as well as the National Rifle Association and the Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms so that they may advise their members to not patronize your business. The NRA has over 4 million members, and CCRKBA has over half a million, many of their members have a policy of not patronizing any bank or organization that willfully treats its gun owning customers like second-class citizens."

    I eagerly await your response."

    Regards,

    (Whoever)
    Good letter. Just adding my .02 to an omission (left out "to me" I think and I really hate sentences ending in prepositions and you would too if you grew up with my mother) and the one spelling error pointed out by Twanos.

    edit: spelling.
    Bob Owens @ Bearing Arms (paraphrased): "These people aren't against violence; they're very much in favor of violence. They're against armed resistance."

  17. #17
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Union, Washington, USA
    Posts
    3,256

    Post imported post

    deepdiver wrote:
    So go through the drive-thru. You have made your point as well as you are going to make it. They have made their point. This is not worth getting arrested over I wouldn't think. They have sent you written notice to not bring your gun to their banks, sent certified mail, return receipt I am sure. That beats the heck out of "well I said to him" in a court of law.

    Being that I have been in US Bank locations throughout MO and several in KY and have seen none of them posted as GFZ, this does not appear to be a national policy. US Bank is a national bank. This appears to be a local or regional policy. Rather than fighting it with people who have obviously already made up their minds, I agree that you need to take it to a higher level to have a chance at a positive resolution.


    Lonnie Wilson wrote:
    Here's how I'd respond. Call around US Bank corporate and see who his boss and his boss' boss is, and send him this letter.

    "Mr (Whoever),

    I am displeased to inform you that your Corporate Security Investigator, in his communication to me as a former customer, is obviously so uneducated that he cannot spell words correctly or use proper grammar (see Attached) See "weather" and other things that I have highlighted. That's not even 5th grade writing level. If this is the kind of caliber of employees that your company hires, then it's no wonder that I closed my account with your company."

    "On top of the fact that your workforce seems to be quite uneducated , Mr. Violo brought forth a policy that was previously unknown to me or other customers with whom I discussed this matter. Due to this outrage, I will not only report this incident and this letter to all of my local friends and acquaintances (who number in the hundreds), I will also send this letter to every state organization that deals with gun owners rights issues, as well as the National Rifle Association and the Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms so that they may advise their members to not patronize your business. The NRA has over 4 million members, and CCRKBA has over half a million, many of their members have a policy of not patronizing any bank or organization that willfully treats its gun owning customers like second-class citizens."

    I eagerly await your response."

    Regards,

    (Whoever)
    Good letter. Just adding my .02 to an omission (left out "to me" I think and I really hate sentences ending in prepositions and you would too if you grew up with my mother) and the one spelling error pointed out by Twanos.

    edit: spelling.
    If I can't walk in to their place of business, they can do without my money. Besides, "Corporate Security Investigations"? That doesn't tell if this guy is "head of" or just a bank guard, aka a "mall ninja". I'm betting on the latter from his letter. He would have the same attitude if he was working at WalMart an their corporate policy is good to go on carrying guns.

  18. #18
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio, USA
    Posts
    190

    Post imported post

    I don't see how it's a corporate policy. None of the US Banks here in the Cincinnati, Ohio area are posted. I've also OC'ed into five or six without any issues.

    I had also emailed their main customer service website about it and they replied that it would depend on the laws of the State in which the bank was, and be up to each bank. This was before Ohio had a concealed-carry law, when only OC was completely legal.

    So, don't give up just yet...

  19. #19
    Regular Member just_a_car's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Auburn, Washington, USA
    Posts
    2,558

    Post imported post

    M1Gunr wrote:
    I bank at BECU but the branch is located in a Safeway store and I've had no issue. I also bank at Bank of America and was in the Fife branch on the 5th with my 1911 and had no issues. The security guard at the US Bank on 38th St asked if I had a permit to carry when I went in to cash a check. I've never had another issue with them.
    When I carry in a bank I also ensure I do not have on sunglasses or hat.
    +1.
    Forgot to mention that I've OC'd while banking at the sattelite BECU in my local Safeway no less than 6 times. Two or three of which I was getting a cashier's check cut for a gunbroker auction and through general conversation with the cashier, made it clear what the check was for.

    I know that many people and the cashiers at the sattelite bank saw my OC, but none said anything.

    At the same time, I don't know if the policy is that of "State Law is our policy".
    B.S. Chemistry UofWA '09
    KF7GEA

  20. #20
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Seattle, Washington, USA
    Posts
    81

    Post imported post

    I am waiting to hear back from the branch manager of Wells Fargo in Federal Way regarding OC'ing. I went in there last Wednesday and decided to leave it in the car to avoid any issues, but I did ask the manager what their policy was. I don't bank there per se, but they do have my mortgage, so to save a stamp I just pay my mortgage in person.

    I have normal account at Columbia Bank, and both the Federal Way branch and the Bellevue branch are ok with it. I made friends with most of the tellers/managers so they know who I am. They are not a huge bank, but have grown quite well since I opened my account with them over 10 years ago. I think the main thing is whether or not the management knows who you are. Policy aside, it does help if you have a relationship with the employees.

    Flanders

  21. #21
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Federal Way, Washington, USA
    Posts
    295

    Post imported post

    So, the Mr. I cant spell guy doesnt allow armed guard transports into the bank? Or private armed guards? I agree with Bear, his lack of poviding you policy is BS. I also agree that you have been 86'ed from the bank with that returned sign delivery notice.

    Keep us informaed and we can put it on the DNP list.



  22. #22
    Regular Member just_a_car's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Auburn, Washington, USA
    Posts
    2,558

    Post imported post

    Was the Ranier Pacific Bank the branch on 3123 56th St Ct NW or the one on 4949 Borgen Blvd NW Suite 101?

    I've added them, but haven't added which branch.
    B.S. Chemistry UofWA '09
    KF7GEA

  23. #23
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Gig Harbor, Washington, USA
    Posts
    286

    Post imported post

    It was the branch off of Borgen.
    DISCLAIMER: This post may contain libertarian ideas and language that are consistent with the Declaration of Independence and the Constitution, including a belief in liberty, rule of law, and natural rights. It may also contain opinions critical of government and the tyrannies being committed by such. If you are an authoritarian, statist, or other freedom hater, side effects of reading this post may include high blood pressure, loose stool, severe genital itching, and diarrhea of the mouth.

  24. #24
    Regular Member just_a_car's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Auburn, Washington, USA
    Posts
    2,558

    Post imported post

    kenshin wrote:
    It was the branch off of Borgen.
    10-4.
    Watch List updated.
    B.S. Chemistry UofWA '09
    KF7GEA

  25. #25
    Regular Member amzbrady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Marysville, Washington, USA
    Posts
    3,522
    Quote Originally Posted by kenshin View Post
    It was the branch off of Borgen.
    I am stealing your signature thing for my facebook, just wanted to let you know...

    Quote Originally Posted by Altiusj View Post
    Hi useful forum .. very thanks..
    Keep reading, you will find a wealth of information here.
    If you voted for Obama to prove you are not a racist...
    what will you do now to prove you are not stupid?

    "The American people will never knowingly adopt socialism. But, under the name of "liberalism," they will adopt every fragment of the socialist program, until one day America will be a socialist nation, without knowing how it happened." - Norman Thomas

    "They who can who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve niether liberty nor safety." - Ben Franklin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •