• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Which is less of a Police State WA or OR?

vermonter

imported post

I have a friend who is considering a move to either Washington or Oregon. In whichstate are the police more respectful of your constitutional rights and harass you less for petty nonsense?

Izzle

imported post

Well I know Oregon has one hell of a state constitution which gives a lot more rights then ours does, at least this is what i have heard.

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

Izzle wrote:
Well I know Oregon has one hell of a state constitution which gives a lot more rights then ours does, at least this is what i have heard.
Constitutions do not give rights. They enumarate them.

Do you know the Oregon Constitution has more protections of rights, or is this something you have just heard? I'm confused by your statement.

joeroket

imported post

sv_libertarian wrote:
Izzle wrote:
Constitutions do not give rights. They enumarate them.

Do you know the Oregon Constitution has more protections of rights, or is this something you have just heard? I'm confused by your statement.
I am sure it is both. He knows what he heard. :p

Gray Peterson

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

Define "petty". At least when it comes to firearms, Oregon and Washington has it's pluses and minuses.

Oregon advantages of guns over Washington:

Stronger preemption statute in terms of state, county, and local authorities banning guns (sans "loaded carry", I will explain that later).

You can carry loaded in your car statewide in a belt holster (Portland ordinances be damned because they're not legal).

With CHL, you're allowed to open carry even in public buildings, EXCEPT for courthouses.

Class 3 Friendly

Disadvantages:

Training required for CHL (though honestly, all it costs is $20 if you live in Portland metro area and can attend a class in Portland at the Multnomah County Sheriff's office)

Without CHL, you can't carry loaded outside of your car in 7 cities, nor can you carry in "public buildings", openly or concealed.

Oregon has a "willies" clause in their CHL law, which is generally shall-issue. Though even the Multnomah County Sheriff's know that open carry is lawful, we've been wondering for a long time if a sheriff would revoke for open carry in general. It would probably fail nowadays because the open carry movement is very organized and probably would pounce and raise up a defense fund so quickly it's not even funny.

The open carry movement in Oregon is quite a bit smaller due to no "270" issues to fight back against, but growing.

Washington advantages:

No training required for CPL, concealed carry while on foot and loaded carry in car is considered a "constitutional right" in the statute books.

Shall issue with NO willies clause.

Open carry is legal statewide on foot with no license required generally, and cities may not prohibit (but you can bet Seattle really wants to).

Extraordinarily active open carry movement (again, #2 state forum in OCDO) due to the RCW 9.41.270. Washington activists turned the state from a de-facto open carry banned state to a well accepted open carry state.

Disadvantages:

No class 3 allowed (wanna change that? let's discuss tactics :))

A lot more "restricted areas" but not too much. They apply equally to concealed or open carry.

Izzle

imported post

Sorry should have made myself clearer. I know that on issues that matter most to me they have a great track record with. For example their freedom of speech laws are very broad to the point that even strip clubs fall under freedom of speech where as here cities can restrict them. Not like the strip clubs are a big deal I just love how broad the freedom of speech goes in the state. Here is a quick artical that looks at Washington vs Oregon. I just hate how this state has more and more nanny laws everyday.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2003336880_portlandclubs02m.html

Bear 45/70

imported post

Izzle wrote:
Sorry should have made myself clearer. I know that on issues that matter most to me they have a great track record with. For example their freedom of speech laws are very broad to the point that even strip clubs fall under freedom of speech where as here cities can restrict them. Not like the strip clubs are a big deal I just love how broad the freedom of speech goes in the state. Here is a quick artical that looks at Washington vs Oregon. I just hate how this state has more and more nanny laws everyday.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2003336880_portlandclubs02m.html
My questions to you would be "Are strip clubs a major issue for you? Otherwise what difference does it make? Washington is more consistant in that the state law prevails over everyone everwhere. Cities and countiescan't write there own, so in Washington, the same rules apply everywhere. Not like Oregon cities outlawing OC without a CPL. How the hell can a Concealed Pistol License be required for Open Carry? It's a fricken oxymoron. Oh yeah, and Oregon does not allow OC or CC on ATVs or snowmobiles.

Izzle

imported post

Bear 45/70 wrote:
Izzle wrote:

My questions to you would be "Are strip clubs a major issue for you? Otherwise what difference does it make? Washington is more consistant in that the state law prevails over everyone everwhere. Cities and countiescan't write there own, so in Washington, the same rules apply everywhere. Not like Oregon cities outlawing OC without a CPL. How the hell can a Concealed Pistol License be required for Open Carry? It's a fricken oxymoron. Oh yeah, and Oregon does not allow OC or CC on ATVs or snowmobiles.
I did say that the actual club is not a big deal to me i just love how their free speach laws cover so much. And also I don't like how many more and more nanny laws this state is thinking up all the time such as indoor smoking. I'll agree with you on the OC stuff but I was trying to look at a broader spectrum then just firearms.

Bear 45/70

imported post

Izzle wrote:
Bear 45/70 wrote:
Izzle wrote:

I did say that the actual club is not a big deal to me i just love how their free speach laws cover so much. And also I don't like how many more and more nanny laws this state is thinking up all the time such as indoor smoking. I'll agree with you on the OC stuff but I was trying to look at a broader spectrum then just firearms.
Oregon and Washington both outlaw smoking in public areas. So again, what's the difference? Do you smoke? If not what the hell difference does it make?

FE427TP

imported post

Bear 45/70 wrote:
Oregon and Washington both outlaw smoking in public areas. So again, what's the difference? Do you smoke? If not what the hell difference does it make?

I'd say it establishes a precedent of which way personal liberties and the attitude of one person dictating what another person can and cant do are going.

Gene Beasley

imported post

I'm prefer Washington not being involved in private transfer of ownership; Oregon explicitly inserts itself into that process for gun shows (ORS 166.438) and if I am reading it correctly, optionally for private transfers not associated with a gun show (ORS 166.436). Seems like kind of a strange law. You may elect to call the state police for a background check prior to transfer. The SP gets all of the information on the transfer; the firearm, you, the other party - I don't really care for any of this.

http://www.leg.state.or.us/ors/166.html

I don't like their online law reference. You have to search for the particular section within the chapter. Waaah.

Bear 45/70

imported post

Oregon also prohibits the carry of any loaded firearm, both long and short guns,regardless of a CPL on ATVs and snowmobiles. Washington has no such idiocy.

bobestes

imported post

Izzle wrote:
I just hate how this state has more and more nanny laws everyday."

Why don't we start a movement to amend the state constitution to prevent nanny laws. Perhaps something along the line of " No resident of the state shall be prohibited from engaging in any activity unless that activity presents an immediate hazard to another party."

Bear 45/70

imported post

Shy_Panda wrote:
The answer to this question is obvious... Alaska, duh :uhoh:;)
Not according to my sister who has livedin Alaskafor 40 years. Their economy is dead. The only bright point is their state check this year is up to $3200 apeice (thanks to the oil industry screwing the rest of use). She and her husband are leaving and moving here to Washington State, right after their checks arrive. It has taken them 3 years and a $60K drop in price to unload their house.

grishnav

imported post

Bear 45/70 wrote:
Oregon also prohibits the carry of any loaded firearm, both long and short guns,regardless of a CPL on ATVs and snowmobiles. Washington has no such idiocy.
One of the most incredibly retarded firearms laws we have.

If there's a saving grace to it, it's that:

1. Few officers actually know this law exists, and
2. It's a Class B moving violation, equivalent to traveling 10-19 (or is that 11-20? can't recall exactly) mph over the speed limit. About 150 dollar citation.

grishnav

imported post

Bear 45/70 wrote:
Shy_Panda wrote:
The answer to this question is obvious... Alaska, duh :uhoh:;)
Not according to my sister who has livedin Alaskafor 40 years. Their economy is dead. The only bright point is their state check this year is up to $3200 apeice (thanks to the oil industry screwing the rest of use). She and her husband are leaving and moving here to Washington State, right after their checks arrive. It has taken them 3 years and a $60K drop in price to unload their house.
So you're saying... cheap houses in Alaska? Yay!