• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Range report...

TechnoWeenie

imported post

I went down to the pit today, not only to introduce myself to my new Glock, but also to familiarize two of my friends with firearms, safety, and proper shooting practices.. While I'm a n00b myself compared to a lot of others on here, I made sure to emphasize the safety aspects and demonstrated every technique to safely handle a firearm.. I took a few minutes before going out into the pit about all the safety features (there aren't any on a glock,lol), clearing a malfunction, clearing the pistol in general, making sure it's always pointed downrange, not putting your finger on the trigger until you're ready, etc etc.

Apparently someone thought I was doing a good job, since he came over and wanted to thank me for taking my time to educate them, and do things properly, instead of just tossing them a gun and telling them to go at it.. At the end of the pit were a bunch of guys just wasting money.. firing as many rounds as possible into nothing. They were even throwing clays in the air and trying to shoot them while they were still pretty high, meaning the trajectory of the bullets would make them go OVER the backstop in the pit.. really pissed me off, TBH.

As for the hardware...

:monkey

Super pleased.... I put about 300 rounds through it, not a single hiccup...

I can draw faster with the Glock than I can the 92, I'm also slightly more accurate with the glock, and follow up rounds are faster as well. I put up a silhouette about 35-40 feet away, and managed to dump all 17 rounds onto the target @ ~3 rounds per sec. My groups were...well... lets just say my bullets were anti-social.. heh.. My grouping was non-existent, so there's definitely room for improvement... But I'm satisfied that my meager skills are adequate to protect myself should I need to.

The greatest thing about the pit is the ability to practice drawing + firing, which no official range allows, AFAIK. I'm not as fast as I'd like to be, but I'm drawing faster on my first day with the Glock than I was the past 6 months with the 92.

Next step is to get an RC truck, tie a balloon to it, and have one of my friends drive it around, to simulate a moving target...

:D

Bear 45/70

imported post

TechnoWeenie wrote:
I went down to the pit today, not only to introduce myself to my new Glock, but also to familiarize two of my friends with firearms, safety, and proper shooting practices.. While I'm a n00b myself compared to a lot of others on here, I made sure to emphasize the safety aspects and demonstrated every technique to safely handle a firearm.. I took a few minutes before going out into the pit about all the safety features (there aren't any on a glock,lol), clearing a malfunction, clearing the pistol in general, making sure it's always pointed downrange, not putting your finger on the trigger until you're ready, etc etc.

Apparently someone thought I was doing a good job, since he came over and wanted to thank me for taking my time to educate them, and do things properly, instead of just tossing them a gun and telling them to go at it.. At the end of the pit were a bunch of guys just wasting money.. firing as many rounds as possible into nothing. They were even throwing clays in the air and trying to shoot them while they were still pretty high, meaning the trajectory of the bullets would make them go OVER the backstop in the pit.. really pissed me off, TBH.

As for the hardware...

I can draw faster with the Glock than I can the 92, I'm also slightly more accurate with the glock, and follow up rounds are faster as well. I put up a silhouette about 35-40 feet away, and managed to dump all 17 rounds onto the target @ ~3 rounds per sec. My groups were...well... lets just say my bullets were anti-social.. heh.. My grouping was non-existent, so there's definitely room for improvement... But I'm satisfied that my meager skills are adequate to protect myself should I need to.

The greatest thing about the pit is the ability to practice drawing + firing, which no official range allows, AFAIK. I'm not as fast as I'd like to be, but I'm drawing faster on my first day with the Glock than I was the past 6 months with the 92.

Next step is to get an RC truck, tie a balloon to it, and have one of my friends drive it around, to simulate a moving target...

Standard self defense range is 7 yards or 21 feet.

TechnoWeenie

imported post

Bear 45/70 wrote:
TechnoWeenie wrote:

As for the hardware...

Standard self defense range is 7 yards or 21 feet.

I'm aware. If I can hit something far, close is NP. It'd be nice to have all the rounds go in one hole, but I'll take all the rounds hitting the target SOMEWHERE, heh.

Carolina40

imported post

re: Glock safeties --- they are all internal.

you want it to fire? just squeeze the trigger.

you don't want it to fire? DON'T squeeze the trigger.

even more important than the internal safety mechanism in the Glock is the safety located between your ears.....

Bear 45/70

imported post

TechnoWeenie wrote:
Bear 45/70 wrote:
TechnoWeenie wrote:
Trigger Dr wrote:
Why tie a balloon to it?:celebrate

balloons are cheap?
Until you hit the RC truck, then ballons are worthless.:lol:

If I'm aiming 5' low, then I have more to worry about than a broken RC truck...

:lol:
You already said you shoot low with the gun.

gsx1138

imported post

KRRC allows draw and fire practice as well as a "shoot as fast as you can contol" policy.

But I agree that it is very hard to find a place that allows for practical self defense practice.

just_a_car

imported post

I'm not sure if they allow it during practice, but the IDPA shoot I went to in May was required to be drawn from concealment in a holster. It was held at the Renton Fish and Game Club. They have a pistol area, shotgun area, and rifle area.

3/325

imported post

Carolina40 wrote:
re: Glock safeties --- they are all internal.
I think the OP is aware of that: "...(there aren't any on a glock, lol)..."

Your words are true, nevertheless. :)

gunsafety.jpg

G20-IWB24/7

imported post

TechnoWeenie wrote:
It'd be nice to have all the rounds go in one hole....(snip)
You cause more damage to live tissue if you create a new wound channel, i.e. put the next bullet ~2" away (at least) from the last one. But I'll agree it is impressive to put multiple projectiles through the same hole on paper.

TechnoWeenie

imported post

G20-IWB24/7 wrote:
TechnoWeenie wrote:
It'd be nice to have all the rounds go in one hole....(snip)
You cause more damage to live tissue if you create a new wound channel, i.e. put the next bullet ~2" away (at least) from the last one.  But I'll agree it is impressive to put multiple projectiles through the same hole on paper.

I wasn't thinking that way, but I guess you could say bad groupings are good self defense shots,heh...

Nosrac

imported post

I went out the c line last week just to check it out. I kept hearing gunshots but never could locate exactly where they were coming from. There were a lot of no shooting signs at the start of c line but once you get back there a ways there was obvious signs of lots of shooting going on. Unfortunately lots of trash left behind but I did have to laugh atthe computer keyboard strung up on a tree limb. I had to take a few shots at that myself. (the tree was in a valley and had a good dirt/clay backstop)