• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

What about forming a PAC?

kingmonkey

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I've been thinking about this for the past couple of days. What if we formed a political action committee that could raise funds for political ads and donate money to various campaigns in an effort to 'grease the wheels' so to speak? Petitions and letters say a lot but money talks a lot louder. Money talks, bullshit walks, right?

What are your thoughts on that?

DopaVash

Founder's Club Member
imported post

How do you mean Grease the Wheels? Like paying off politicians? I don't think thats necessary for Texas to do. If you look at the legislation they passed last year on the Castle doctrine, and having one of the most free car-carry laws in the nation, I think OC should pass without much problem as long as we raise enough awareness about it.

kingmonkey

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I doubt it. OC is slightly more controversial than the Castle Doctrine or unlicensed conceal carry in a car. I have no doubt that Perry would sign it into law but I have serious doubts that the Legislature will take any action in 2009 or any future period for some time to come. A petition is fun and all but it's unfortunate that in Texas petitions don't count. The only reason the car carry law came about was because a Legislators daughter was attacked. I have yet to hear of a single state rep or senator that is in favor of OC. I'm not as optimistic as you guys. And a little money in the form of campaign donations from the Open Carry PAC wouldn't hurt matters either. There is a reason why Fortune 500 companies all have PACs -- because they work.

DopaVash

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Ok I see what you mean. Well, Dr. Hupp is with us. I She's not in the govt any more but she was a key player in getting CC passed.

It may be controversial, but it's legal in 44 states too. I think there's more than a good chance at it passing.

kingmonkey

Campaign Veteran
imported post

It's too bad Hupp isn't a Rep anymore. I think the Legislature will "look" at the idea in 2009 but I don't think anything is really going to come of it. But I think if we could get some money together and locate some very pro-gun Reps and Senators that are on board with OC we could offer to throw some money their way if they'd support it. I personally would like to see it eventually get on the general ballot for it to be a constitutional amendment. That would make it nearly impossible for the Legislature to take it away again.

It's just an idea. We might be too late in the year for anything to really happen but if nothing happens in 2009 I think it would really be a good idea to form one. Money makes the world go round and if someone running for office can get a PAC to donate some money and run some ads in their favor they might be more inclined to support the idea and put their name on the bill.

rodbender

imported post

This is a very good idea. We would just need to find someone with the time and inclination to do it. I have the inclination, I just don't have the time. I wonder if Susanna Hupp would do it. Or maybe she knows someone that will. Ithink she lives in Florence. That's not too far from Austin.

kingmonkey

Campaign Veteran
imported post

rodbender wrote:
This is a very good idea. We would just need to find someone with the time and inclination to do it. I have the inclination, I just don't have the time. I wonder if Susanna Hupp would do it. Or maybe she knows someone that will. Ithink she lives in Florence. That's not too far from Austin.
I've been doing a little research into creating one. I don't think it is really that hard to do but I'm not sure what you do once it gets started. I guess you'd have to start doing some fund raising while trying to locate a state rep or senator or someone running for those offices to back. Or I guess you could just start taking ads out in newspapers and put up some billboards.

What do you guys think? I'm all jazzed for it. I'm ready to start putting the paperwork together. I think we could do a lot of good if we can get people to donate money towards the cause.

rodbender

imported post

kingmonkey wrote:
rodbender wrote:
I've been doing a little research into creating one. I don't think it is really that hard to do but I'm not sure what you do once it gets started. I guess you'd have to start doing some fund raising while trying to locate a state rep or senator or someone running for those offices to back. Or I guess you could just start taking ads out in newspapers and put up some billboards.

What do you guys think? I'm all jazzed for it. I'm ready to start putting the paperwork together. I think we could do a lot of good if we can get people to donate money towards the cause.
PM gungirl and talk to her. She has started one in D.C.

tashkerra

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I've been doing a little research into creating one. I don't think it is really that hard to do but I'm not sure what you do once it gets started. I guess you'd have to start doing some fund raising while trying to locate a state rep or senator or someone running for those offices to back. Or I guess you could just start taking ads out in newspapers and put up some billboards. What do you guys think? I'm all jazzed for it. I'm ready to start putting the paperwork together. I think we could do a lot of good if we can get people to donate money towards the cause.
You're on the right track, my friend. A PAC provides a war chest and an activist base that not only addresses the OC issue statewide, but supports local efforts and partners with the national body of OC advocates. It also constructs the legal firewall that will guide policy, finance, and accountability.

You go!!