• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Tax free gun purchases

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

http://www.scstatehouse.net/sess117_2007-2008/bills/4329.htm

Introduced in the House on January 8, 2008
Currently residing in the House Committee on Ways and Means

Code:
12/5/2007  House   Prefiled
12/5/2007  House   Referred to Committee on [b]Ways and Means[/b]
1/8/2008  House   Introduced and read first time HJ-34
1/8/2008  House   Referred to Committee on [b]Ways and Means[/b] HJ-34

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

Thank you. I did not look beyond the House bill. Enacted 07/11/08 as Act 338

Sales tax exemption; Second Amendment Recognition Act

SECTION 2. A. This section may be cited as the "Second Amendment Recognition Act".

B. Section 12-36-2120 of the 1976 Code, as last amended by Act 116 of 2007, is further amended by adding a new item at the end appropriately numbered to read:

"( ) sales of handguns as defined pursuant to Section 16-23-10(1), rifles, and shotguns during the forty-eight hours of the Second Amendment Weekend. For purposes of this item, the 'Second Amendment Weekend' begins at 12:01 a.m. on the Friday after Thanksgiving and ends at twelve midnight the following Saturday."

C. This section takes effect July 1, 2008.

1swellguy

imported post

But you guys missed something important. While H. 4329 did not pass, S. 1143 DID pass. [http://www.scstatehouse.net/sess117_2007-2008/bills/1143.htm]

Our state legislators sneaked the same "tax free weekend" for firearms provision into S. 1143. The bill was vetoed by Governor Sanford, but the general assembly overrode his veto, so S. 1143 is now law.

This means that "Second Amendment Weekend" is now law, and firearms purchases will be exempt from STATE taxes on that weekend each year. That weekend is the Friday & Saturday following Thanksgiving.

Sure, it helps to save money on gun purchases, but before y'all go thanking your state legislators, ask yourself if this falls under "restoring my gun rights" or if it was simply "giving me table scraps so I don't ask for something REAL."

Personally, I call this nothing more than 'table scraps.' I'd like my state legislators to give me something more substantial than saving sales tax 2 days per year. (they'd just LOVE it if we stopped buying guns all year long to wait for the tax-free weekend, wouldn't they?) Give me RESTAURANT carry, or SCHOOL CARRY, or blanket recognition of all other states, etc.

But that's just my opinion...

Bill Rentiers
GrassRoots GunRights of SC

PT111

imported post

While I was a store owner I learned from others and through experience that a 10% sale was a waste and not worthe bothering with. For the public to even give notice to a sale requires at least 15% and only will 20%+ even register any excitement. However that same public goes crazy over a 6-8% tax free weekend.

This bill wasn't even table scraps but rather an idea of someone for votes attached to another bill with much farther reach. The gun tax break didn't even get discussed that I know of but just thrown in with the gasoline blending stuff.

1swellguy

imported post

PT111 wrote:
This bill wasn't even table scraps but rather an idea of someone for votes attached to another bill with much farther reach. The gun tax break didn't even get discussed that I know of but just thrown in with the gasoline blending stuff.

I agree whole-heartedly. It was so much "less than table scraps" as to be insulting. Our lawmakers think they can buy us off of demanding full restoration of our rights by dangling something glittery adn worthless in the other hand (like a ball of tin foil).

What really upsets me is when the masses go for this stuff. They get really excited over the table scraps, which encourages our lawmakers to do stuff like this to us again & again.

I wish all gun owners were consistent voters and dedicated activists, well-informed on these issues and mad as hell - not willing to take such nonsense from our elected officials. :banghead: