• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Pepper Spray/OC/Mace

Weak 9mm

imported post

I have a 3/4 oz unit of Sabre 3-in-1 Defensive Spray that I usually carry (Always if I don't have a firearm). It's a mixture of OC and CS Tear Gas, I like it. It has about 30 1-second bursts in it.

They offer a number of sizes for carry, up to 2.5oz I believe. The link above is probably fine too.

Btw, if you can find one of their discontinued 13 ounce home defense units, those things are insane. They will coat an entire doorway from about 25 feet away, so you'd cover someone in the stuff. Their whole body would be covered, haha.

FightingGlock19

imported post

My wife went to a pistol class this afternoon & I learned something about OC spray from her instruction she had.Don't be fooled byOC formula percentage. One company may use a lower grade OC mixture but may have a higher %. The higher the % means the longer the OC lasts, however the Scoville Heat Units (S.H.U.s) are what you want to base a good purchase on.

Unless I'm mistaken, Fox Labs Int'l. has somewhere just over 5million S.H.U.s, thehottest on the market even though it's labled only a 2% mixture.

Michigander

imported post

Pepper spray can stop a threat, but it can also stop you. I've sprayed myself with the stuff I used to carry, which was both Sabre Red, and Hault. Both messed me up to the point where I would have lost a fight with all but the crappiest assailants. Watch youtube and see how hard it is to fight when the police and MP's get hosed in training, or better yet, spray yourself.

I truly have come to believe that pepper spray is more of a risk than you should have. A strong wind can blow the stuff back in your eyes, and even if you take out one assailant, there might be more, and you might be left struggling to see, and unable to fight. With police, when they have a bunch of guys with guns backing the pepper spray user up it's fine. When you must fight on your own, it's not.

I myself would suggest a gun, and for less lethal force, a 21" baton, and a class in impact weapons if you aren't already familiar. If you don't take my advice and do end up getting the pepper spray, please spray yourself heavily at least a few times. When it hits you the first time, you get a stupifying panicky feel that is the exact opposite of the way you want to feel in a fight. Only by repeated exposure will you have any ability to fight through the searing pain.

tarzan1888

imported post

Michigander wrote:
Pepper spray can stop a threat, but it can also stop you........

This is called "Cross-contamination" and it is a lot more common than you might believe.

Michigander wrote:
I truly have come to believe that pepper spray is more of a risk than you should have. A strong wind can blow the stuff back in your eyes, and even if you take out one assailant, there might be more, and you might be left struggling to see, and unable to fight. With police, when they have a bunch of guys with guns backing the pepper spray user up it's fine. When you must fight on your own, it's not.

This is very true and even if the wind is not blowing, you might find that in the stress of the confrontation, you point the little button in the wrong direction.

Michigander wrote:
I myself would suggest a gun, and for less lethal force, a 21" baton, and a class in impact weapons if you aren't already familiar.

This is a good suggestion. I, myself, carry a shillelagh. I practice regularly in its use as both a defensive and an offensive weapon. It was the center piece in Irish martial arts.

Tarzan

Decoligny

imported post

I would definitely go with the mace ! ! !

WE-Studded-Mace.jpg

Michigander

imported post

That cross contamination thing can also happen if someone who gets sprayed wipes their eyes, then goes and trys to strike your face. Even a little bit of that crap goes a long way. You find that out as you try to decontaminate your eyes after exposure.

jt1562000

imported post

I carry OC Spray at work. Before i qualified with it, i couldn't believe a little can could hurt so much. When we got sprayed, we had to run a course afterwards. It was very hard to fight off an assailant, and almost impossible to take them to the ground and cuff them. If you get hot enough spray, it is a great option to suppliment deadly force.

Fox makes some really hot spray and I have carried it a few times. One suggestion to help reduce cross contamination, get the foam instead of the stream. It will help you guide where it hits, and most foams have uv die in them to help police identify the individual. Personally I would look for a guy screaming and clawing his face.....but if they want to shine a black light on every person they pass, more power to them. :p

Michigander

imported post

"jt1562000 wrote:

If you get hot enough spray, it is a great option to suppliment deadly force."

You obviously disagree with me since you say this, and I do respect your opinion since you are trained with it, but I still must ask why you would carry it as your main weapon. You even pointed out how hard it is to find your way around, and cuff a person. As you know, and I pointed out earlier, even a little bit can mess you up bad if it's the hot stuff, and a cross contamination can happen if it turns to a fist fight after spraying.

With all that in mind, my question to you is, if given the option of any less lethal weapon to be used while you were on your own against an unknown threat, what would your choice be?

About canes, right now I am using a heavier walnut and oak cane to help me walk while I recover from my CZ fall drop and pop to my tibea. It's pretty cool. I patterned the handle after 1877 Thunderer grips. It's heavy enough to whoop some ass, and thin enough to avoid attention, (not that attention matters in Phoenix where you will see sword OCing from time to time).

jt1562000

imported post

Michigander wrote:
"jt1562000 wrote:

If you get hot enough spray, it is a great option to supplement deadly force."

You obviously disagree with me since you say this, and I do respect your opinion since you are trained with it, but I still must ask why you would carry it as your main weapon. You even pointed out how hard it is to find your way around, and cuff a person. As you know, and I pointed out earlier, even a little bit can mess you up bad if it's the hot stuff, and a cross contamination can happen if it turns to a fist fight after spraying.

With all that in mind, my question to you is, if given the option of any less lethal weapon to be used while you were on your own against an unknown threat, what would your choice be?

About canes, right now I am using a heavier walnut and oak cane to help me walk while I recover from my CZ fall drop and pop to my tibea. It's pretty cool. I patterned the handle after 1877 Thunderer grips. It's heavy enough to whoop some ass, and thin enough to avoid attention, (not that attention matters in Phoenix where you will see sword OCing from time to time).

I dont disagree with you, i am thinking along the same lines. The way I worded my last reply may have been a little confusing. I would definitely not carry it as a main weapon. I firmly believe a pistol isa much better all around weapon, but spray has its place as well. Mostly for situations where deadly force is not justified, but something needs to be done. Such as a large mentally handicapped person beating the crap out of someone else. I could not bring myself to jump straight to deadly force, but spray would be an option.

If I could be carrying only one less lethal weapon, it would be an ASP expandable baton. They are small enough to comfortably carry, but large enough to inflict serious injuries or even deadly force under the right conditions. If you get the air-weight ones, they are light enough to comfortably be carried in a pocket, purse, or wherever.

I have never used a cane, but I have seen them used and they can be a great impact weapon. I like the idea for the grips, I have to give you props on that.

I am not one of the guys who carry there whole duty belt while off, but I usually have my sidearm, an extra mag, a small can of spray, and an ASP flex-cuff. In my truck I have a pair of metal handcuffs, a few more flex-cuff's, an ASP expandable baton, and sometimes an AR-15. I believe the more options you have at your disposal, the better off you will be in the long run.

Michigander

imported post

Cool, gotcha. :cool:

I met a couple of MSP troopers who while on duty carried a 4 cell mag light, a pistol, 2 mags, and cuffs. They had both been working together for nearly 15 years, and swore by that combo. I don't know what they carried off duty, but my guess is probably just their .357 snubbies that MSP officers are issued.

jt1562000

imported post

Now that you mention that, I also have a maglight in my truck. It is held with clamps on my B pillar right next to my driver’s door. I remember my father showing me how to hold a maglight so it can be used as an impact weapon if necessary. I’m sure it would work well if used to strike like an impact weapon.