• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Pistol for a lefty

wvdoc

imported post

I'm looking to buy a new pistol, preferably an autoloader. The only problem is I'm left-handed. I have a ruger P98, which isn't really geared for southpaws (slide release and mag release are for righties). I'd like to get a Glock in 40 s&w. Are Glocks the most ambidextrous autoloaders around? I might have to go revolver....

Any other lefties with suggestions? Thanks.

tjschul

imported post

As a lefty who has shot IPSC matches with various 1911's formore than a decade, I canguarantee you that John Browning actually designed this pistolfor southpaws! Mag release and slide release are perfectly positioned for a left index finger. I would absolutely hate it if they were on the opposite side of this weapon. What else matters on this pistol except the ambi safety, which can easily be fitted for $30? Some might complain about direction of ejection, but after bazillions of rounds I've never cared.

Also own a HK USP with ambi controls, another good choice for a lefty.

Task Force 16

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I've suggested this before, but I'll do it again.

You might want to learn to shoot with either hand. should you find yourself in a shootout, you may loose the use of your strong hand. You may have to use your weak hand to shoot with, and you may have to use only one hand to reload.

I'm a righty. Iplan to carry a SA revolver (USFA Rodeo .45 Colt), which means that I'll need to work on cocking and shootingleft handed, and learn to do it as well as I do right handed. If I go to an auto, I'll do the same.

To give you some idea of the amount of work I'm going to require on my left hand, if I scratch a certain area with my left I have to be very careful or risk serious injury. :what:

dislexic fingers :banghead:

ronb5538

imported post

tjschul wrote:
As a lefty who has shot IPSC matches with various 1911's formore than a decade, I canguarantee you that John Browning actually designed this pistolfor southpaws! Mag release and slide release are perfectly positioned for a left index finger. I would absolutely hate it if they were on the opposite side of this weapon. What else matters on this pistol except the ambi safety, which can easily be fitted for $30? Some might complain about direction of ejection, but after bazillions of rounds I've never cared.

Also own a HK USP with ambi controls, another good choice for a lefty.

+ 1for the 1911. I have two. My carry weapon is a Kimber Ultra. I learned to use my index finger for the slide release and the safety.

The 1911 has a thin profile that makes it perfect fora carry weapon.

wvdoc

imported post

Thanks for the help! Germans make good precision tools, so what's a reasonable price for a new USP 40? I lost my pricing guides when I moved :cuss:

AbNo

imported post

'nother lefty here.

I thoroughly enjoy both my 1911 (as already suggested), and my XD-40. The ambidextrous mag release is quite handy. :)

Loneviking

imported post

Besides the 1911, there is the CZ 85 in 9mm, and the CZ 82 in 9mm Makarov. Both are setup with ambidextrous controls. The EA Witness in .45, if I remember right, is also ambidextrous.

Spectre

imported post

You could try the Bersa 9mm, .40, or .45 family. All the controls are ambidextrous, and the magazine release is easily switched to your prefered side.

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Spectre wrote:
You could try the Bersa 9mm, .40, or .45 family. All the controls are ambidextrous, and the magazine release is easily switched to your prefered side.
+1 on the Bersa. I own them in all the calibers, and even lefty spouse can shoot them comfortably.