• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Neighbors complain about OC infront of their kids?

LongRider

imported post

My short answer would be
You can tell your children that Mr spectr019 carries a gun to keep the bad men away because the policeman can not always be here. If you see a band man you go tell Mr spectr019 and he will watch to be sure the bad man does not get you until the police arrive

ConditionThree

State Pioneer
imported post

spectr019 wrote:
I live on a dead end street with a lot of young parents whose kids are always running around. Just curious, if I'm OC when say taking out trash, mowing, checking mail, anything like that and one of the parents starts giving me the "you don't want to introducte/subject our children to guns!!!" speech, anybody have any formal/polite way of saying 'it's my right?' I personally believe that kids should be positively and safely introduced to guns at an early age, but I don't want to give neighbors hard times when they try to involve their kids in it. Any suggestions or anybody experienced this situation before?

Ben

uh, how about this...

"Yeah neighborhood mom/dad I carry a firearm- For my protection and others. Now which would you rather have if confronted with a criminal assailant who intended to kill, injure, or abduct your child? I hope neither of us really has to make that choice, but I have both emplements just in case I do."

N00blet45

imported post

"To protect my life, liberty, and property." That's about as quick and to the point as I can get. It's also a good way to judge the person. If they respond with affirmation then the conversation continues. If they respond with disdain then the conversation ends because their mind is already made up.

Tucker6900

imported post

The only thing my neighbors seem to have an issue with is when I am target practicing in my back yard. I try and keep it to the weekends and reasonable hours, but they still complain.

DopaVash

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Tucker6900 wrote:
The only thing my neighbors seem to have an issue with is when I am target practicing in my back yard. I try and keep it to the weekends and reasonable hours, but they still complain.

I trust your backyard is quite large and you're within your rights to do so.

I'm a bit more argumentative (politely, but still) than pointman but I guess he's got a good point. If they're worth their salt, they'll apologize for being rude.

Tucker6900

imported post

DopaVash wrote:

I'm a bit more argumentative (politely, but still) than pointman but I guess he's got a good point. If they're worth their salt, they'll apologize for being rude.

It is. I live on farmland and there is nothing but corn and trees as far as the eye can see, well other than the neighbors house:cool:

Last fall I went as far as purchasing a load of crushed asphalt, piling it in front of my dirt pile. So I have a pretty good range.

Task Force 16

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Tucker6900 wrote:
DopaVash wrote:

It is. I live on farmland and there is nothing but corn and trees as far as the eye can see, well other than the neighbors house:cool:

Last fall I went as far as purchasing a load of crushed asphalt, piling it in front of my dirt pile. So I have a pretty good range.
Ain't nothin' like country livin'.

I live at the edge of some hills, right at the end of a small valley actually. My boss lives next door and is a shooter himself. I can go back into the valley a peice, and with the summer foilage, can shoot all I want and the sound just barely gets out, if at all.

Sonora Rebel

imported post

I tell people "I carry a gun 'cause the Sheriff's too heavy." 'n go about my business. The sheep are gonna be sheep. It's what they do.

richarcm

imported post

Just tell her that if/when she needs help that you will remember that she would prefer you keep your guns away and call 911 instead.

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
imported post

richarcm wrote:
Just tell her that if/when she needs help that you will remember that she would prefer you keep your guns away and call 911 instead.
Yep. If she's a nasty and problem-causing neighbor, this is exactly what you should do. Let her fend for herself should she ever be caught up in a dangerous situation. She made her bed.. why shouldn't she sleep in it? Besides, you just cannot trust people like that. Who knows. If you interceded to help her, she might be the one who turns around and brings a suit against you.

richarcm

imported post

tracylaud83 wrote:
icode wrote:
Would they ask a LEO to disarm in front of their children also?
Yes, some people actually do ask us to "Disarm" around their kids.

Really? Thats just plain silly. I would refuse simply because your job is extremely dangerous and an officer without a gun can easily become a huge target.

Tell her to keep her kids away from your gun. :)

tracylaud83

imported post

I do NOT disarm, I was just stating that when out of uniform, I do get asked if I'm a "cop", When I answer that Iam LEO, they usally just walk away, or say "ohhhhh". I have been told more than one time, "Well, you still shouldn't carry a gun", to which I usally reply "Your right, I shouldn'tHAVE to".

I live in Florida, so OC isn't really an option (even for us), but I do OC when I visit NC, VA, and PA.

G9M&P15

imported post

To be honest, I'd just say "Go ---- yourself."

They aren't the kind of people I'd want to be friends with anyway, and if they're worried about guns corrupting their children I'd prefer them to be as miserable as possible all the time.

I'd start OCing my AR-15 whilst mowing the lawn, as well.

Then again, I'm just a jerk in general.

crotalus01

imported post

If they asked me not to OC in sight of their kids I would politely explain my position and politely refuse unless I was on their property. If they gave me a speech about why I shouldnt OC around their kids and how they didnt want their kids "exposed" to guns, I would not be polite at all and point out that unless they are Amish they likely have a TV in their house that their kids watch and they are complete hypocrites if that is the case...even worse if they have a video game system of any kind.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

KimberG19 wrote:
To be honest, I'd just say "Go ---- yourself."

They aren't the kind of people I'd want to be friends with anyway, and if they're worried about guns corrupting their children I'd prefer them to be as miserable as possible all the time.

I'd start OCing my AR-15 whilst mowing the lawn, as well.

Then again, I'm just a jerk in general.
If you can't do somethin' good, don't do anythin' at all.

Yata hey