• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Neighbors complain about OC infront of their kids?

spectr019

imported post

I live on a dead end street with a lot of young parents whose kids are always running around. Just curious, if I'm OC when say taking out trash, mowing, checking mail, anything like that and one of the parents starts giving me the "you don't want to introducte/subject our children to guns!!!" speech, anybody have any formal/polite way of saying 'it's my right?' I personally believe that kids should be positively and safely introduced to guns at an early age, but I don't want to give neighbors hard times when they try to involve their kids in it. Any suggestions or anybody experienced this situation before?

Ben

DopaVash

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Good question but I think you already answered it. It's your right, and say so in as polite of a way as possible. You might also explain that you don't want to tell someone how to raise thier children, but introducing young-ones to fire-arms the right way, meaning saftey safety safety, is always a good thing because it gives children the means to handle a situation with a firearm safely. Also mention that you're not trying to hurt any body, there's nothing of malice
in OCing.

Really the MOST disarming thing you can do to an Anti is to be level-headed and polite, not matter what. If they're screaming in your face, calmly say good day and walk away. If they want to talk about it, do so, but don't be accusatory (they most certainly will), just state the facts as you know them. Also, know the facts heh.

Politeness and a smile will get you miles with people. Not all, but most.

spectr019

imported post

:lol: That's excactly what I was hoping for :lol: Thank you. Cause I think it will happen soon, I've only lived in the neighborhood for about 4 months and I'm not quite "one of them" yet, so I want to be mentally prepared when it happens. Thanks!

Ben

usSiR

Campaign Veteran
imported post

spectr019 wrote:
I live on a dead end street with a lot of young parents whose kids are always running around. Just curious, if I'm OC when say taking out trash, mowing, checking mail, anything like that and one of the parents starts giving me the "you don't want to introducte/subject our children to guns!!!" speech, anybody have any formal/polite way of saying 'it's my right?' I personally believe that kids should be positively and safely introduced to guns at an early age, but I don't want to give neighbors hard times when they try to involve their kids in it. Any suggestions or anybody experienced this situation before?

Ben

I do just that... yard work, get the mail, etc... At first the neighbors just asked questions, now they just glance at it and go about what ever it was they were doing.

Most of my neighbors are friendly and we most know each other, so it wasn't a big deal. When they first asked about it I just told them the laws and why I wanted to have it, they all seemed to be ok with it...

DopaVash

Founder's Club Member
imported post

TheMrMitch wrote:
"you don't want to introducte/subject our children to guns!!!"

I would simply answer "I won't" and move on. End of discussion.

I think this might not actually be a bad idea, should they ask this very question. I don't think that's how they'd word it, but should they simply say "I don't intend to, why do you ask?" In a very polite manner.

Also, I forgot to say welcome to the boards!

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

DopaVash's advice (both posts) is probably a lot better than the "Screw you hippy, you're not the boss of me!!"
1221.gif
approach I was going to suggest.

:p

spectr019

imported post

^^^ Which is what I would want to say, also!!! Especially because the father is ALWAYS (literally...comes home at the same time from work EVERY DAY of a five dayweek with a six-pack) with a beer bottle in hand and the mom sitting on the front porch bench with a cigarrete, I almost dare them to tell me what NOT to do infront of their kids.

Thank you for the welcomes!!! I'm on Michigangunowners.com as my only gun forum, but this seems like the better nation-wide forum out there!!

Ben

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
imported post

Smile, bid them good day, and continue with your business as if they are not present. Should they try to engage you in a conversation (i.e. argument), do not enter that arena.

What you do on your property and with your rights is your business.. not their's, as much as they may like to make it that way. Be pleasant and courteous and get past it quickly.

Ebeye

imported post

Perhaps, since the kids know there's a neighbor that has a gun and openly (isn't afraid) carries, then word will get around the extended neighborhood that it's one cul-de-sac that carries more risk than usual if you're a "bad guy". In other words, the unmeasurable deterrent effect.

PT111

imported post

You could ask them if they prefered you cussing, drinking, smoking, telling dirty jokes and just being nasty around them to carrying. I would prefer the carrying of a gun any day to some half dressed drunk middle-age woman trying to put the make on every man she sees.

bobcat

imported post

Each encounter with a neighbor will most likely need to be handled differently. Each will have different mindsets about guns. Everything from evil to pro gun.

Being polite as was previously mentioned is the single best advice. You know, honey works better than pooey.;)

If you get flat out rejected, so what. If they walked away in a huff, and you kept your cool, they may be more receptive next time. I've found this to be the case and I'm guessing it's because of a guilty conscience about being huffy.

And then there are those that are just flat out against firearms. Forget about planting seeds on rocks, it's a waste of time. "It's my right" may be all you can respond with and they may not even 'hear' that.

If you can get a conversation going, don't worry about it being about firearms-yet. Work on being a good neighbor first and then they'll be more receptive about a sensative subject like carrying firearms. Yup, it's sensative. Maybe not to you and me, but to them it likely is.

If you reach the stage of discussing firearms, be ready to listen (and understand their point of view) and just give a few facts. Don't argue or overwelm them with gobs of info. You may actually be surprised that some may ask to go to the range with you!

Yes, carrying is your right. Polite, slow and easy will win the day. Best of fortune in your endeavor.

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
imported post

And then there is the extreme hardcase where you have the neighbor who is borderline in a frenzy about the fact that you have firearms and worse.. you carry them out in public. In the more free states (such as Virginia) you are not as likely to run into these types of people because even if they think that way, they somehow seem to know their ideas are not "normal". But there still is the possibility that you may have contact with people who how these extreme opinions.

Once again, be pleasant and respectful and take my mother's advice. "Treat everyone with respect and dignity until they give you reason not to. Then just avoid them". Look at it this way. If they die, it won't have one bit of an effect on you life, so why should it while they are alive?

Slayer of Paper

imported post

It is never appropriate to compromise on your right to keep and bear arms, but there is usually no need or cause to be "in your face" about it. A polite approach to just about any challenge to your right to carry is generally going to net a much better outcome than a rude one.

LongRider

imported post

spectr019 wrote:
Any suggestions or anybody experienced this situation before?
First responce it is for the children and say, "For life, liberty and Little Lizzie."
Why I carry a gun by John Connor

If I had a nickel for every time I've been asked that question, I'd have, uh ... as many guns as his firearm-festooned Editorial Immenseness, Roy-Boy. It's been asked of me by all flavors of folks in all slices of society, with attitudes and expressions ranging from angry-arrogant to curtly-contemptuous, to brainless an' befuddled. My answers to it have sorta formed three phases in my professional gun-carrying life. During that first and longest phase, I answered all of 'era sincerely and articulately, often following up with stacks of historic and legal documents. After many years, I concluded only a semi-significant sliver of people even heard what I was sayin'. The rest had already made up their muddled minds.

Finally, I just got sick of it, and moved on to Phase 2. If those asking seemed to have teensy open spaces in their minds, I gave 'em S & A: "Sincere & Articulate." The more harshly-bleating sheep, however, often got exchanges like this:

"So," queried Snidely Snotworth III, lookin' down his unbusted but needed-bustin' nose, "Why do you think you have to carry a gun?"

"Well," bellowed the Brutish Neanderthal (that would be me): "Because you're not QUALIFIED to carry one. You haven't got the skills, the judgment, the sense of responsibility, or the courage for it."

This answer often popped out after I'd just returned from some Heart-Of-Darkness where every living soul knew that the difference between slaves and free people is having the means and determination to defend their lives, property and liberties. That meant having guns and guts and God-given rights. Most of those people would quite literally die fighting for the freedoms so many Americans casually give away, and proudly bear social responsibilities those sheeple * won't even recognize.

* Sheeple: Sheep-like people, many of whom deny the existence of wolves, and vote to pull the teeth of the sheepdogs who protect the flock.

The Voices

Then I matriculated to Phase 3, where I started having some fun with the Snidely Snotworth types. When they asked the Big Question, I'd go all hunchy-shouldered an' secretive, then lean in close and mutter, "Because of the voices, ya know?" "The VOICES?" sniveled the Snidelies, suddenly scaredy-cattish. "Oh, yeah, the voices ... They told me to be, you know, prepared for when the killer clowns come ... " I'd furtively goggle around. "The voices say the killer clowns are comin' ... They're cannibals, some of 'era, and ..."

About that time the Snidelies would be skitterin' away like mice on polished marble.

Yeah, I know, the "killer clowns" answer might not have been "helpful," but it did just as much good as giving S&A answers to the sheeple, and it was a lot more fun for me. I know you already know why we carry these cannons. But sometimes, just sometimes, we all need a little reminder. That includes me, and I've got one to share with you. One that got me where I live.

The Connor Clan has been nomadic, and we've lived in a number of places. In one of 'era, we shared a side yard and friendship with a young woman we'll call Miss Maine, and her knee-high daughter, Little Lizzie. Miss Maine quickly bonded with the Memsaab Helena. Clearly, Helena's Amazon-warrior spirit and skill with arms impressed Miss Maine mightily, and much of their time and talk revolved around that fierce self-confidence--and guns.

As for Little Lizzie, the munchkin almost duct-taped herself to the Mem's leg. She followed Helena everywhere, but always, always, kept glancing back to check on her momma, as though she were the worried parent.

There was something guarded, something hurt and defensive about both of them, and that fearfulness extended to me for a while. They got over it, thank God. Then I sorta became a moving bunker for 'em, representing cover and protection. Finally, we learned the story.

Miss Maine had been attacked--brutally and viciously. You don't wanta know the details. As with so many such crimes, it wasn't really about sex. It was about hate and domination, cowardice and cruelty. And an even younger Little Lizzie had witnessed it. I like to think the Memsaab and I helped them to recover emotionally.

Then one day Lizzie came and snuggled into my shadow, visibly disturbed. That morning her kindergarten had put on "Frighten The Munchkins Day." Some schools do a pretty good job of alerting children to predators--don't go with strangers and that kinda thing--but others do more harm than good. All they do is terrify the tots and give 'era no operating options. Lizzie already had twin tears glistening, ready to fall when she grabbed a tiny fistful of my trouser-leg and asked, "Connor-Sir, will you a'ways be here? Wouldja be here ... When the bad mens come?"

My knees cracked on the sidewalk as she slammed into my shoulder, shaking with sobs as the hot tears came, splashing my neck and searing into my soul. "'Cause I'm a-scared!" she choked, and clutched me tighter. Oh, GOD/Who would not--who could not--fight without fear, suffer without sense of sacrifice, and kill or die deliberately, using the most effective means available--to protect life, liberty and a Little Lizzie? For God's sake, who?

Those who would not are no better than the predators.

Maybe in Phase 4, when somebody pops The Big Question I'll just smile and say, "For life, liberty and Little Lizzie." You guys can fill in the details.