• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Car Gun Safe

eyesopened

imported post

holeinhead wrote:
Looking for a good gun safe for times when I have to disarm. I did find this:
http://www.center-of-mass.com/Store_InCarGunSafe.htm

Does anyone have anything to say about these, or can recommend something else?

Hoping to find something that's decently priced as well, as I can't afford something like $200.
I have one and it's a great little safe and cheap to boot. My buddy bought one too and he has no complaints either. It comes with a cheapo cable but I'd suggest drilling some holes and using screws for more permanent solution.

madcapmag

imported post

I bought a Response Technologies Inc SafeBox (LINK) with an extra sleeve. You bolt the sleeve down to anything (I attached mine under the drivers seat) and the insert is the actual locking box. It will lock shut by itself or lock shut and into the sleeve. It works for me because I don't want to carry at work (as much as I am for educating people about open carry, I still need to make money by not scaring some of the sheeple away), so I attached another sleeve into a semi-concealed location. When I get to work, I put the gun into the lockbox, lock, carry inside, then put into sleeve. When I go to gun-unfriendly stores, I can reach under the seat, lock, and put back, without having to exit the car. Keeps your piece away from prying eyes and potential thiefs. YMMV, depending on vehicle.

TechnoWeenie

imported post

Link

Runs ~20$ when on sale.... works great...

93575.gif

cloudcroft

Campaign Veteran
El Paso, TX (formerly Colorado Springs, CO)
imported post

I use something like the one above but in a larger size (a simple Sentry security safe similar to the V230 model). Also, I removed the smaller of the two rear seats (in my SUV) to mount it (to the seat bolt-down holes) so it's got the space to go and is mounted very securely (I didn't want to drill holes here and there in the car but rather use preexisting holes...seat-mount holes are the best). And since the safe is larger, lots of other stuff will fit in it along with a gun, like laptops, cameras...and my BOB.

If you can't lose a seat -- or don't even have a vehicle where that is possible -- then you're restricted to something quite small.

Still, it's often a challenge to find a very good spot to mountANY safe since cars aren't designed for them.

-- John D.

Tomahawk

imported post

irish wrote:
I do not endorse this company as I've never used them but it's the slickest set up I've seen for a vehicle..... http://www.consolevault.us/index.html take a look and let us all know what you think.
That looks pretty neat, as long as you can spare the space in your center console. I use mine for maps and CDs and stuff, so I prefer an under-the-seat safe or similar.