Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 26

Thread: 2008 Democratic platform

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Tucson, Arizona, USA
    Posts
    1,098

    Post imported post

    The draft of the 2008 Democratic platform, found via DU, ( http://www.democraticunderground.com...ess=118x182811 ).

    Pay special note to pg. 43, lines 11 through 20:

    http://www.workinglife.org/storage/u...m%20080808.pdf





  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Tucson, Arizona, USA
    Posts
    1,098

    Post imported post

    H.R. 1022: Assault Weapons Ban and Law Enforcement Protection Act of 2007

    http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bill...bill=h110-1022

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Tucson, Arizona, USA
    Posts
    1,098

    Post imported post

    S. 2237: Crime Control and Prevention Act of 2007

    http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bill...bill=s110-2237

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Castle Rock, Colorado, USA
    Posts
    779

    Post imported post

    PavePusher wrote:
    The draft of the 2008 Democratic platform, found via DU, ( http://www.democraticunderground.com...ess=118x182811 ).

    Pay special note to pg. 43, lines 11 through 20:

    http://www.workinglife.org/storage/u...m%20080808.pdf





    11
    Firearms

    12
    We recognize that the right to bear arms is an important part of the American tradition,

    13
    and we will preserve Americans’ continued Second Amendment right to own and use

    14
    firearms. We believe that the right to own firearms is subject to reasonable regulation, but

    15
    we know that what works in Chicago may not work in Cheyenne. We can work together

    16
    to enact and enforce common-sense laws and improvements, like closing the gun show

    17
    loophole, improving our background check system and reinstating the assault weapons

    18
    ban, so that guns do not fall into the hands of terrorists or criminals. Acting responsibly

    19
    and with respect for differing views on this issue, we can both protect the constitutional

    20
    right to bear arms and keep our communities and our children safe.


    Eccchh.....I'm gonna hurl....

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Tucson, Arizona, USA
    Posts
    1,098

    Post imported post

    Aargh, I forgot to post the copy...

    Thanks E.E.!!!

    I'll get some of the rest later, got to do some actual work for a bit...


  6. #6
    Campaign Veteran
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Lobelville, Tennessee, USA
    Posts
    2,615

    Post imported post

    The posted responses were interesting to read. It appears that the moderate Dem followers know that attempting to impose gun bans is political suicide for their party.

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Phoenix, Arizona, USA
    Posts
    460

    Post imported post

    Can Democrats just not count?

    When are they going to realize that there are 80 million gun-owning voters in this country? Do they even realize that nearly a THIRD of their own party owns guns?

    The Republicans lost a lot of support when they abandoned the ideals of small government, but I think what the Democrats lose in the wake of this travesty will make that pale by comparison.

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
    Posts
    3,806

    Post imported post

    Task Force 16 wrote:
    The posted responses were hilarious to read.
    Fixed. I couldn't stop chuckling at the frustration they are feeling over their political leaders.

    It makes me know I'm not alone.
    Why open carry? Because 1911 > 911.

  9. #9
    Regular Member Prophet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA
    Posts
    544

    Post imported post

    Evil Ernie wrote:


    20
    right to bear arms and keep our communities and our children safe.
    remember...for the children...what a load of crap. As if making sure the childrens parents can't protect them when Mr. Serial Child Rapist comes around with a gun because he, being a criminal, ignored the gun control laws in the first place, is keeping the children safe.

  10. #10
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    1,882

    Post imported post

    I missed something - what is it about gunsthat "works in Chicago"?

    -ljp

  11. #11
    Campaign Veteran Dutch Uncle's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Virginia, USA
    Posts
    1,715

    Post imported post

    Q: What is it about guns that "works" in Chicago?

    A: State socialism and the inevitable repression it brings. Controlling the people and arrogating power to the state is what liberal fascism is all about, and in Chicago, it is working quite nicely, thank you very much. Cheyenne, WY hasn't been brought around just yet, but the Dems will work on that later on......

  12. #12
    Campaign Veteran deepdiver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Southeast, Missouri, USA
    Posts
    5,974

    Post imported post


    Bob Owens @ Bearing Arms (paraphrased): "These people aren't against violence; they're very much in favor of violence. They're against armed resistance."

  13. #13
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    West Plains, Missouri, USA
    Posts
    93

    Post imported post

    Dutch Uncle wrote:
    Q: What is it about guns that "works" in Chicago?

    A: State socialism and the inevitable repression it brings. Controlling the people and arrogating power to the state is what liberal fascism is all about, and in Chicago, it is working quite nicely, thank you very much. Cheyenne, WY hasn't been brought around just yet, but the Dems will work on that later on......
    Well said. That is precisely the purpose, the only purpose of gun control.

    How many also picked up on the fact that the right to keep and bear arms is, in the eyes of the Democrats, only "an important American tradition." Not a fundamental right of any citizen of a free nation, no, it is only an important tradition. And traditions can be changed, you know.

  14. #14
    Founder's Club Member Tess's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Alexandria, Fairfax County, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    3,764

    Post imported post

    Noithing like a national political party that thinks people have different rights depending on where they live, a party that thinks not all people are created equal, and a party that sees loopholes where none exist.

    My bumpersticker says it best:
    http://www.cafepress.com/rosierockets/4959957

    Laws alone can not secure freedom of expression; in order that every man present his views without penalty there must be spirit of tolerance in the entire population. -Albert Einstein

  15. #15
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Tennessee, ,
    Posts
    695

    Post imported post

    Tess wrote:
    Noithing like a national political party that thinks people have different rights depending on where they live, a party that thinks not all people are created equal, and a party that sees loopholes where none exist.

    My bumpersticker says it best:
    http://www.cafepress.com/rosierockets/4959957
    I couldn't have said it better myself...



    :celebrate:celebrate

  16. #16
    Regular Member Shy_Panda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Spokane / Pullman, Washington, USA
    Posts
    336

    Post imported post

    It made me have just a little bit of hope for the future of our country reading the responses. Despite the fact that I wear my rights on my sleve (hip literally) I still live in a college town in WA so my vote pretty much doesn't count for jack. Seeing how Dems continue to run elections in their current fashion I think this is how they BBQ...



  17. #17
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Great Lakes, , USA
    Posts
    167

    Post imported post

    Yeah, since when does gun control work in Chitcago? Sadly (for the honest citizens), you are right on the mark Dutch Uncle.

    If guncon() does work, why is Gov Rod offering more police and possibly the Nat Guard to roam the streets of the Daley Machine to suppress gun violence?

    Yeah, right, gun control works.... for the criminals that like their victims defenseless.

    ----

    My bumpersticker says it best:
    http://www.cafepress.com/rosierockets/4959957

    Gonna be kinda tricky wearing those shirts to church.:what:

  18. #18
    Regular Member rodbender's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Navasota, Texas, USA
    Posts
    2,524

    Post imported post

    Marvelous, just marvelous!
    The thing about common sense is....it ain't too common.
    Will Rogers

  19. #19
    Campaign Veteran deepdiver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Southeast, Missouri, USA
    Posts
    5,974

    Post imported post

    Tess wrote:
    Noithing like a national political party that thinks people have different rights depending on where they live, a party that thinks not all people are created equal, and a party that sees loopholes where none exist.
    +1 Love the bumpersticker as well.
    Bob Owens @ Bearing Arms (paraphrased): "These people aren't against violence; they're very much in favor of violence. They're against armed resistance."

  20. #20
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    West Plains, Missouri, USA
    Posts
    93

    Post imported post

    "We recognize that the right to bear arms is an important part of the American tradition"

    Not a fundamental, Constitutionally recognized and protected right. No. Just an "important tradition." Traditions can easily be changed or ignored.

    And notice that the only right they recognized is the right to bear arms. That sounds like you have a right to join the military and that's all. No arms of your own. No keeping and bearing. Just bearing.

    This reads like the comment I heard from a young college Democrat several years ago: "The Constitution is a nice-sounding document and all but you can't let it stand in the way of a good idea or the will of the people." That's about how much respect this draft of the Party platform seems to show for the Bill of Rights.


  21. #21
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Las Vegas, NV, ,
    Posts
    433

    Post imported post

    They will push for the AWB...some people say the pro-gun house democrats wont back it...if they get Obama in the white house, and they still hold the house/senate, we could see one quick. Pelosi and her ilk will pressure them into it. these people do not give up until they have total control.

    just like Obama changes his position on his 2a stance, they will use any method...including an ammo ban to surpress gun owners. We're the ultimate threat to them.

  22. #22
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Virginia USA, ,
    Posts
    1,688

    Post imported post

    yeahYeah wrote:
    They will push for the AWB...some people say the pro-gun house democrats wont back it...if they get Obama in the white house, and they still hold the house/senate, we could see one quick. Pelosi and her ilk will pressure them into it. these people do not give up until they have total control.

    just like Obama changes his position on his 2a stance, they will use any method...including an ammo ban to surpress gun owners. We're the ultimate threat to them.
    Bush would have signed the AWB if it was on his desk and we have had a democratically controlled congress for a few years now.

    Will it happen next year? Maybe, the year after? Maybe...

    While I hope it doesn't happen, it doesn't look great for us no matter the candidate and it looks worse w/ Democrats of course.

  23. #23
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    West Plains, Missouri, USA
    Posts
    93

    Post imported post

    hsmith wrote:
    yeahYeah wrote:
    They will push for the AWB...some people say the pro-gun house democrats wont back it...if they get Obama in the white house, and they still hold the house/senate, we could see one quick. Pelosi and her ilk will pressure them into it. these people do not give up until they have total control.

    just like Obama changes his position on his 2a stance, they will use any method...including an ammo ban to surpress gun owners. We're the ultimate threat to them.
    Bush would have signed the AWB if it was on his desk and we have had a democratically controlled congress for a few years now.
    I suspect that in 2004, Bush was saying one thing but working behind the scenes to ensure that the ban expired. He knew that if he actually did sign such a ban, he could kiss his reelection goodbye. OTOH, had the ban expired in 2005, a year after elections, I have no doubt that this fair weather friend of gun owners would have signed it. Remember, his daddy imposed the first such ban by executive order in 1989, banning the import of "military-style" semi-auto long guns. Remember that his daddy also became a Life NRA member in the summer of 1988 when it benefited his campaign, and dropped his membership in 1994 when the NRA opposed that AW ban. Bush is no more a patriot than his daddy was. Both are solid one-worlders who believe in overriding UN authority and to H___ with national soveignty or the Bill of Rights.



  24. #24
    Founder's Club Member - Moderator longwatch's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Northern Fauquier Co, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    4,297

    Post imported post

    brolin_1911a1 wrote:
    Dutch Uncle wrote:
    Q: What is it about guns that "works" in Chicago?

    A: State socialism and the inevitable repression it brings. Controlling the people and arrogating power to the state is what liberal fascism is all about, and in Chicago, it is working quite nicely, thank you very much. Cheyenne, WY hasn't been brought around just yet, but the Dems will work on that later on......
    Well said. That is precisely the purpose, the only purpose of gun control.

    How many also picked up on the fact that the right to keep and bear arms is, in the eyes of the Democrats, only "an important American tradition." Not a fundamental right of any citizen of a free nation, no, it is only an important tradition. And traditions can be changed, you know.
    Nice parsing, I think you are onto something.

  25. #25
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    West Plains, Missouri, USA
    Posts
    93

    Post imported post

    longwatch wrote:
    brolin_1911a1 wrote:
    Dutch Uncle wrote:
    Q: What is it about guns that "works" in Chicago?

    A: State socialism and the inevitable repression it brings. Controlling the people and arrogating power to the state is what liberal fascism is all about, and in Chicago, it is working quite nicely, thank you very much. Cheyenne, WY hasn't been brought around just yet, but the Dems will work on that later on......
    Well said. That is precisely the purpose, the only purpose of gun control.

    How many also picked up on the fact that the right to keep and bear arms is, in the eyes of the Democrats, only "an important American tradition." Not a fundamental right of any citizen of a free nation, no, it is only an important tradition. And traditions can be changed, you know.
    Nice parsing, I think you are onto something.
    Except that I missed one tiny detail. The Democrat platform draft does not say "keep and bear" but only "bear." In other words, Americans have the right to join the army but not to own personal arms.


Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •