• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Need Suggestions

ruger357

imported post

Any solutions on how to carry .357 Ruger SP101 snub in summer comfortably with lighter color clothes? :( Thanks in advance.

41 Magnum

imported post

Really you need a good belt and OWB holster. That's how I've carried mine for the last 8-9 years.

I findIWB uncomfortable, and they're a little heavy for pocket carry. My other carry method for that gunis an Allesi ankle rig. It was pricey at 120 bucks, but it beats the snot out of any of the 50-60 ankle rigs I tried first.

OBXMIKE

imported post

I like a standard "pancake" style holster. Galco has 'em off-the-rack for @$60. Also might want to look at Don Hume, Mitch Rosen, Bob Mernickle, and Wild Bill's. Just google the names to get the websites.

You will need a good stiff gunbelt for it to work ideally, as .41 Magnum said. Can't put enough emphasis on the belt part of the equation.

My favorite rig is from Bob Mernickle. Hell of a piece of work. I carry a Smith 340 in mine. Very comfortable, no shifting around, and good retention even w/out a thumb break.

41 Magnum

imported post

OBXMIKE gave you good ideas there. The pancake design really flattens out that particular guns print. Get one that has an extra belt slot onone side, it's called a "switch" holster. You wear it straight cant onyour strong side, or you can "switch" it to a cross draw using the other slot.

Bob Mernickle does EXCELLENT work. He's built me a couple western type rigs for my big revolvers.http://www.mernickleholsters.com

Another excellent leathersmith that specializes in carry rigs: http://www.hbeleatherworks.com His name is Eric. Tell him Ben sent you over. He's done over a dozen jobsfor me. I've been pleased with all of them. In fact, I'm wearing one of his belts and holsters right now.

EDIT: Spelling.

Alec411

imported post

Found a great site for revolvers & SP101's was an example. Website is Simplyrugged.com . This is a great place for holsters for revolvers all the way up to "X". Great for semi's also. Conceal well!

Alec411

imported post

MIKE:

Those Simply Rugged's are a fine holster aren't they. If you love Hand-crafted- that is hand crafted.

Alec411

MetalChris

imported post

Alec411 wrote:
MIKE:

Those Simply Rugged's are a fine holster aren't they. If you love Hand-crafted- that is hand crafted.

Alec411
Do any of you guys have any experience with their "Real Man's" belt?

ruger357

imported post

Thanks all....I went ahead and ordered a silver dollar pancake and belt from Simply Rugged. I'll let ya know...