• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Church breakfast this AM

sailor628

imported post

Had a Men's Breakfast at my church this morning. 10 guys showed up and about half of them were new faces to me. I'll paraphrase what was said. Someone pointed at my gun and asked if I was a LEO or just security for him (pointing to the guy seated next to me). I replied "No, just a good American. I carry more just to educate and show people that good guys have guns too." Then later another said "I noticed you have a sidearm? Are you a cop?" My reply to him was "No, I am part of a growing movement called Open Carry. I carry this way just about everywhere I go." By this time the whole group was joining the conversation. I had a chance to explain the basics on where it was legal to carry and mentioned opencarry.org. They seemed interested and surprised that it was legal and that I didn't get harrassed everywhere I go. So I had the privilage to give 10 guys a little introduction to OC :D. I CC on Sundays because I don't want to be a distraction to the message but have OC'd at church for other events. This was by far the most succesful OC I have ever done. I feel good!:celebrate

just_a_car

imported post

Great job! It's too bad you didn't have a bunch of OC pamphlets to hand out.

Hopefully some of them will join up here and say hello.

Bear 45/70

imported post

deepdiver wrote:
Too bad we can't carry at church in MO without a permission slip from the minister.

Good job, Sailor!
Why wouldn't the minister give you permission? Does he think you are bad Christian or an evil person?

gsx1138

imported post

I may have to try this. Sadly most people (and practitioners) believe Buddhists should be pacifists. I see this as an extreme position and not at all anywhere near the "middle way". I didn't have near the opposition when I was a practicing Pagan. Most of those guys were ex-military. It's always makes my heart glad when people at least accept education with an open mind. Good job!

Agent 47

imported post

K_Bjornstad wrote:
That is great! I feel that many church-goers believe that having a gun is dangerous and evil. I agree with you and I applaud you good sir!
Funny, I have noticed exactly the opposite, Seems almost everyguy I know who regularly attends church is either a gun owner or staunchly supports gun rights.

K_Bjornstad

imported post

Many members in the church I used to attend discouraged firearms because of their dangerous nature. The only two people in my church, besides myself, that encouraged firearms were my dad and a WSP Trooper. I spoke with my pastor about firearms and he said that he did not like guns and did not want his kids around them because of their "destructive nature." I did not agree and I told him that but I held my tongue sadly.

Bear 45/70

imported post

K_Bjornstad wrote:
Many members in the church I used to attend discouraged firearms because of their dangerous nature. The only two people in my church, besides myself, that encouraged firearms were my dad and a WSP Trooper. I spoke with my pastor about firearms and he said that he did not like guns and did not want his kids around them because of their "destructive nature." I did not agree and I told him that but I held my tongue sadly.
He is a sheeple and is why there are some many in the church that have the same view. Unbiased is what he suppose to be, but he isn't.

just_a_car

imported post

gsx1138 wrote:
I may have to try this. Sadly most people (and practitioners) believe Buddhists should be pacifists. I see this as an extreme position and not at all anywhere near the "middle way". I didn't have near the opposition when I was a practicing Pagan. Most of those guys were ex-military. It's always makes my heart glad when people at least accept education with an open mind. Good job!
No worries, you can always tell those that are misinformed about Buddhism that the Dalai Lama supports not only your right to carry, but to self defense up to and including murder:

"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun." -- The Dalai Lama, May 15, 2001, at the "Educating Heart Summit" in Portland, Oregon

Bear 45/70

imported post

just_a_car wrote:
gsx1138 wrote:
No worries, you can always tell those that are misinformed about Buddhism that the Dalai Lama supports not only your right to carry, but to self defense up to and including murder:

"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun." -- The Dalai Lama, May 15, 2001, at the "Educating Heart Summit" in Portland, Oregon
Buddhist are realist and the Dali Lama is their realist leader.

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

Bear 45/70 wrote:
I used that quote one time on some hippie/greener forum in Olympia and someone said the rest of the message was that it would be okay to wound an attacker but not to kill. I haven't been able to verify that, but the person was pretty annoyed with me using it, so who knows.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

sv_libertarian wrote:
Bear 45/70 wrote:
I used that quote one time on some hippie/greener forum in Olympia and someone said the rest of the message was that it would be okay to wound an attacker but not to kill. I haven't been able to verify that, but the person was pretty annoyed with me using it, so who knows.
Leftists are often annoyed by facts and reality that disagree with their emotional and factually erroneously based world views.

Bear 45/70

imported post

deepdiver wrote:
sv_libertarian wrote:
Bear 45/70 wrote:
Leftists are often annoyed by facts and reality that disagree with their emotional and factually erroneously based world views.
"There is nothing so horrible in nature as to see a beautiful theory murdered by an ugly gang of facts."

UTOC-45-44

imported post

sailor628 wrote:
Had a Men's Breakfast at my church this morning. 10 guys showed up and about half of them were new faces to me. I'll paraphrase what was said. Someone pointed at my gun and asked if I was a LEO or just security for him (pointing to the guy seated next to me). I replied "No, just a good American. I carry more just to educate and show people that good guys have guns too." Then later another said "I noticed you have a sidearm? Are you a cop?" My reply to him was "No, I am part of a growing movement called Open Carry. I carry this way just about everywhere I go." By this time the whole group was joining the conversation. I had a chance to explain the basics on where it was legal to carry and mentioned opencarry.org. They seemed interested and surprised that it was legal and that I didn't get harrassed everywhere I go. So I had the privilage to give 10 guys a little introduction to OC :D. I CC on Sundays because I don't want to be a distraction to the message but have OC'd at church for other events. This was by far the most succesful OC I have ever done. I feel good!:celebrate

Nice little sermon o' yurs, I bet. The best Gospel of 'em all:celebrate.

Can I have an AMEN.................?:lol:

TJ