• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Not allowed to buy alcohol while armed at a State Liquor Store

Bill Starks

State Researcher
imported post

I spent over 20 minutes looking for the items needed. I get to the counter and some guy in the other line starts spouting off about how open carry is illegal. I inform him otherwise but he just wants to be argumentative and I ignore him. The clerk from his line looks over and wants to see the weapon. At that point she (Krystal) points to a green print out up on a post 7 feet off the floor and says NO WEAPONS ALLOWED in the storeas per RCW 9.41.300 which covers this establishment. I inform her that if they allow minors in the store and the door is not posted with the under 21 liquor control board sign, my gun is welcome as well as this is a state run facility. The sign is a print out of RCW 9.41.300 and only quotes the no gun section. My clerk (Kelby) starts giving me the "sheeple talk." I got the "we're only following the rules speech" and realized that I am dealing with employees not management. As I needed the alcohol for the party I went out and locked it in the truck, came back and made my purchase under protest.

I've contacted the assistant manager of the store and the district manager and am preparing to contact the Liquor Control board as well.

http://www.liq.wa.gov/releases/contact.asp

Bill Starks

State Researcher
imported post

72nd & Pacific Ave. It just kills me that the sign they have posted is 7 feet up and posted in the middle of the store. All of the liquor is no more that 6 feet high and no where near the sign. If it was me posting the signs there would be one at the door and at each register.
I sat in the truck for almost 10 minutes looking at the entrance to ensure nothing was posted before I went in. After I saw the guy with kids enter. I knew I was in the right.

Shy_Panda

imported post

I always just assumed that they had it posted, I don't think I have ever actually looked. (I have a pretty good stock of alcohol... I am a college kid with a liqour licence :celebrate)

Great link to the LCB by the way.

Bear 45/70

imported post

M1Gunr wrote:
deanf wrote:
Your link doesn't work.
Fixed: http://www.liq.wa.gov/releases/contact.asp

email has been sent to the Liquor control Board. This is the sign, which is clearly wrong for the establishment:
Does not apply to the liquor store as long as minors are allowed in. Contact the Enforcement Division of the Liquor Control board. They should straighten it out as this same sign has been use by many places that allow minors and the enforcement guys shot them down everytime. It would be nice if the jackass putting the sign up would first read the RCW. Then at least they would know they are wrong.
cursin.gif

Agent 47

imported post

I spent almost an hour on the phone with the liquor control board and got in touch with one of the higher ups with the enforcement devision and he did some research and called me back to inform me that there was absolutely no problem with carrying inside any liquor store. This was about six months ago and I don't remember what his name was but you can call them and I am sure they will tell you the same thing.

Machoduck

imported post

M1Gunr, I've been looking at that sign whose photo you posted. It looks as if some knucklehead went to a supply store for gin mills a bought it for (illegal) display. It's obviously directed at customers entering lounges or taverns quoting as it does RCW 9.41.300 (d).

This calls for an investigation, I tells ya! :cuss:

MD

Machoduck

imported post

Considering your recent adventure, M1gunr, Gail and I went to our local booze store here in Covington. No inaccurate signs. I commented on this to the clerk in a praiseworthy fashion and was told, "Oh not in here. Not in any State building. We (employees) can't even have guns. I politely explained where she was wrong and encountered the most closed mind I've met in a long time (face to face).

The manager won't be in until Wednesday. I don't think I need duplicate your actions if you're successful. If you get an email supporting our rights I'll take it over to show the manager.

MD

Bill Starks

State Researcher
imported post

Victory !!
Just a car, would you add to the pro carry list of businesses ?

My name is Earl Hill and I’m a District Manager for the Liquor Control Board covering the Tacoma area.
I’m responding to your concern regarding a recent shopping experience at our retail store # 122 at 72[sup]nd[/sup] and Pacific Avenue in Tacoma. I have reviewed the incident as described and it appears that while you were shopping, a customer initially noticed your firearm and commented that you were not allowed to have one in the store. Our store employees overheard this and supported that you were not allowed to carry while the store. Upon reviewing the signs posted in the store; I have determined that the signs were meant to be advisory for our staff and not for our retail customers. Our store employees were misinformed about the intent of the sign and I have authorized their removal.
Let me apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused. We value customer feedback and I appreciate you letting me know about this incident. Let me know if you wish to discuss further by calling or emailing me at your convenience.

Thank you
Earl Hill,[size= ][/size][size=District Manager][/size][size= ][/size][size=Office: 253/471-5338 Cell: 253/370-2250][/size]
[size=Roberson Bldg Ste 208 Fax: 360/704-5021 [url=mailto:EH@LIQ.WA.GOV]EH@LIQ.WA.GOV[/url]][/size]
[size=6240 Tacoma Mall Blvd][/size][size=[/size]
Tacoma]
[size= WA 98409-6819][/size][size=[/size]
]

[size=
]
[/size]

joeroket

imported post

M1Gunr wrote:
Victory !!
Just a car, would you add to the pro carry list of businesses ?
Is there really a need to add them? The law does not allow them to restrict firearms so they have to allow carry in a legal manner.

If it is added just make sure it is ALL liquor stores.

joeroket

imported post

M1Gunr wrote:
if its on the pro business it will resolve the is it legal questions...
That is if people take the time to look at it before asking already answered questions.

I can see your point but I thought the reason for the pro-gun list was to advertise private businesses that respect our right to carry.