• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Not allowed to buy alcohol while armed at a State Liquor Store

just_a_car

imported post

joeroket wrote:
M1Gunr wrote:
if its on the pro business it will resolve the is it legal questions...
That is if people take the time to look at it before asking already answered questions.

I can see your point but I thought the reason for the pro-gun list was to advertise private businesses that respect our right to carry.
+1.

State constitution requires state agencies to allow carry within the confines of the law and the area in question is open to minors and has no other restrictions. So, it's not the choice of the manager of the store or, really, even the WA liquor control board as to whether to allow someone to carry there; it is your right to do so until such time as they bar minors from the premesis.

Now, if people here feel that, with that said, they should be listed on the pro-gun list for following state law, I'll do so. Just make your voice heard and I'll weigh my decision on such.

Bill Starks

State Researcher
imported post

The liquor store although run by the state here in Washington is still a retail store for all intended purposes. I see it as a little different than the Dept Of Licensing or a court house.

joeroket

imported post

I see where youare coming from M1. Maybe they could be added to the list with note that it has been confirmed that the no weapons sinage is for informational purposes for the employees and are not meant to be restrictive.

Bear 45/70

imported post

M1Gunr wrote:
The liquor store although run by the state here in Washington is still a retail store for all intended purposes. I see it as a little different than the Dept Of Licensing or a court house.
The package stores are still owned and operated by the State of Washingtonand as suchmust comply with state law. Since the is no law against OC and no law against carrying in a liquor store, then they can't restrict it. Being a retail store has nothing to do with it.

BlaineG

imported post

M1Gunr wrote:
IMO, even tho it's a retail store, it is part of a Chain and therefore has to follow the Chain's rules for conducting business. The individual stores are privately owned, but an indivudual store could not, for example, sell to minors on a whim. Too many people apply their personal opinion to law.....

Bear 45/70

imported post

BlaineG wrote:
M1Gunr wrote:
IMO, even tho it's a retail store, it is part of a Chain and therefore has to follow the Chain's rules for conducting business. The individual stores are privately owned, but an indivudual store could not, for example, sell to minors on a whim. Too many people apply their personal opinion to law.....
The stores might be considered a chain store, I doubt it as the State owns them all and state employees work and run the diferent locations under the State Liquor Control Board direct contol and are not licensed as bars, etc are to sell liquor. It is a frickin' stategovernment agency.

j2l3

imported post

BlaineG wrote:
IMO, even tho it's a retail store, it is part of a Chain and therefore has to follow the Chain's rules for conducting business. The individual stores are privately owned,
Actually, they are NOT privatgely owned, They are wholly owned by the state. The store property itself is often leased by the state, but the store is owned by the state and the employees are state employees. In SOME rural areas, there is a private facility contracted as a liquor store, but the same rules apply as it is a state function.

joeroket

imported post

M1Gunr wrote:
We can argue symantics all day long and no one will agree but we can agree on one thing - IT'S A PRO CARRY BUSINESS !!
You are right it is a pro-carry business but only because the law requires them to be. Obviously, based on the sinage and employee training, there are people in the liquor board that do not want weapons in the stores but they have no control about it.

Shy_Panda

imported post

After reading the good news I decided to run by the local liqour store to try my luck and wouldn't you know, they have a 'No Minors Allowed' sign on the front door. I asked inside about it and they said that minors are not allowed in with the exception of when accompanied by a parent. Because I didn't want to be in violation of a posted sign, despite its legality, I disarmed before entering. I am unsure as to if I want to enter with my sidearm and with full knowledge of the law disregard the sign or what. At the very least I will email the LCB and have the sign clarified.

joeroket

imported post

Shy_Panda wrote:
After reading the good news I decided to run by the local liqour store to try my luck and wouldn't you know, they have a 'No Minors Allowed' sign on the front door. I asked inside about it and they said that minors are not allowed in with the exception of when accompanied by a parent. Because I didn't want to be in violation of a posted sign, despite its legality, I disarmed before entering. I am unsure as to if I want to enter with my sidearm and with full knowledge of the law disregard the sign or what. At the very least I will email the LCB and have the sign clarified.
They have already been contacted a couple of times and have advised that carrying a firearm in a liquor store is legal. The sign means that minors are not allowed without an adult therefore they do not qualify as an establishment that is off limits to persons under 21.

just_a_car

imported post

joeroket wrote:
Shy_Panda wrote:
They have already been contacted a couple of times and have advised that carrying a firearm in a liquor store is legal. The sign means that minors are not allowed without an adult therefore they do not qualify as an establishment that is off limits to persons under 21.
+1.

If minors are allowed in any fashion, then it is legal for you to carry into said establishment, CC or OC.

As an aside, I've only seen one or two people actually say they think it should or shouldn't be on the Pro-Gun List, even though many people have commented after I asked for opinions....

joeroket

imported post

Im going to go with M1 on the part of them being added to the list. I think if it resolves a question from even one person then it is worthy of being on the list. It may also let people know, based on your requirements for being added, that we have researched it and have an authoritative person as having said firearms are not restricted in liquor stores.