• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

YAY, my first LEO encounter

Ravenhawk

imported post

kparker wrote:
The greedy part of me almost wishes that he took my gun, so I'd get that payday like some others on these boards could be getting...

You know, I kinda wish we could retire this particular motif. Not only is there the underlying issue (what do we really want--our constitutional freedom to keep and bear arms, or a little bit of money?) , but in addition it makes us sound unnecessarily confrontational, especially if some observer here takes it out of context (missing the <irony> tags, etc.)
And could easily be used against you in Court .. Besides nobody's won any huge settlements over this.

SpyderTattoo

imported post

It's not the money that's the issue. Though, that would certainly get the police dept.'s attention and maybe make them think twice before illegally disarming someone...

David.Car

imported post

1. Didn't have to show a CPL, you were OC.

2.Would have stated that if he wanted to takethe gun I would not resist, but that he could count on a follow up for illegal seizure of property and you would see him and his local precinct in court about it.

3. When he than decided taking your gun would be a bad idea... "Am I being detained? No? Have a nice day officer."

SpyderTattoo

imported post

Thanks David,since this was my first LEO encounter I wasn't exactly in top shape, but what you just said above is what I'll be saying next time I'm stopped. The more I think about it, the more I realize he was just trying to intimidate me.

Bear 45/70

imported post

David.Car wrote:

2.Would have stated that if he wanted to takethe gun I would not resist, but that he could count on a follow up for illegal seizure of property and you would see him and his local precinct in court about it.

3. When he than decided taking your gun would be a bad idea... "Am I being detained? No? Have a nice day officer."
Why do you want everyone to be so frickin' confrontational? The CPL, IDhim and tells the copthe opcan legally own a gun and are thus legal to OC. It didn't hurt him at all and actually if you have a CPL, CC or notand the cop asks for it, you must produce it. Hell, the cop went away happy and nobody was harmed. Your way gets cops pissed off and start looking for ways to screw with you. I just don't understand your desire to make everything as bad as it can be made.
rolleyes.gif

Bear 45/70

imported post

Ravenhawk wrote:
kparker wrote:
The greedy part of me almost wishes that he took my gun, so I'd get that payday like some others on these boards could be getting...

You know, I kinda wish we could retire this particular motif. Not only is there the underlying issue (what do we really want--our constitutional freedom to keep and bear arms, or a little bit of money?) , but in addition it makes us sound unnecessarily confrontational, especially if some observer here takes it out of context (missing the <irony> tags, etc.)
And could easily be used against you in Court .. Besides nobody's won any huge settlements over this.
What! Where do you guys come up with this stuff? Quit watching Law & Order, it ain't the real world.

Shy_Panda

imported post

Bear 45/70 wrote:
Why do you want everyone to be so frickin' confrontational? The CPL, IDhim and tells the copthe opcan legally own a gun and are thus legal to OC. It didn't hurt him at all and actually if you have a CPL, CC or notand the cop asks for it, you must produce it. Hell, the cop went away happy and nobody was harmed. Your way gets cops pissed off and start looking for ways to screw with you. I just don't understand your desire to make everything as bad as it can be made.
rolleyes.gif
You are obviously not bear, what did you do with him?

Ravenhawk

imported post

Bear 45/70 wrote:
Ravenhawk wrote:
kparker wrote:

What! Where do you guys come up with this stuff? Quit watching Law & Order, it ain't the real world.
It is real world .. always gotta chime in like Mr. Know it all to situations you've never been in.

My brother was assaulted in his own apt @ 3am by a intruder ... the intruder got beat within a breathe of his life but the prosecutor accused my brother of trying to avoid restitution payments (200,000) during trial for fighting the case ... yeah HE (my brother) was charged with assault 1 and jailed! The intruder was hospitalized for 2 months with a grocery list of injuries most notably repair orbital socket. The intruder never even got charged with anything and was made out to be the victim! I seen so many lies n wrongdoings in this case NOTHING surprises me the Cops/Prosecutor will/can do.

Bear 45/70

imported post

Ravenhawk wrote:
Bear 45/70 wrote:
Ravenhawk wrote:
kparker wrote:

It is real world .. always gotta chime in like Mr. Know it all to situations you've never been in.

My brother was assaulted in his own apt @ 3am by a intruder ... the intruder got beat within a breathe of his life but the prosecutor accused my brother of trying to avoid restitution payments (200,000) during trial for fighting the case ... yeah HE (my brother) was charged with assault 1 and jailed! The intruder was hospitalized for 2 months with a grocery list of injuries most notably repair orbital socket. The intruder never even got charged with anything and was made out to be the victim! I seen so many lies n wrongdoings in this case NOTHING surprises me the Cops/Prosecutor will/can do.
Sounds like you brother had a stinker for a lawyer, if he had one.

David.Car

imported post

Bear 45/70 wrote:
David.Car wrote:

rolleyes.gif
First I didn't say DONT show him CPL... I said he didn't HAVE to. I personally would show him my CPL but I would state that I did not have to as I wouldn't need it to be open carrying.

But 2 and 3 I definitly would have done just like I wrote.

At the pointthe LEOsaid the OP was causing alarm, and he could take his gun, he crossed over to someone who is trying to intimidate into making the citizen comply with what he THOUGHT was right and I no longer want to be the cops friend, but want to establish that I have my rights, and I know my rights, and as soon as possible the conversation will be ended and we can go our seperate ways.

Back to the OP. I am constantly forgetting the pamphlets as well. So I had some cards made up that have the WA State Constitution quote and a very quick OC description on the front, than the important part of RCW 9.41.270 and a mention of State vs Casad on the back. Website too of course. They stay in my wallet, so even if I forget the pamphlet I can still talk to the person and give them the card so they hopefully can goand look up more.

Bear 45/70

imported post

David.Car wrote:
Bear 45/70 wrote:
David.Car wrote:

rolleyes.gif
First I didn't say DONT show him CPL... I said he didn't HAVE to. I personally would show him my CPL but I would state that I did not have to as I wouldn't need it to be open carrying.

But 2 and 3 I definitly would have done just like I wrote.

At the pointthe LEOsaid the OP was causing alarm, and he could take his gun, he crossed over to someone who is trying to intimidate into making the citizen comply with what he THOUGHT was right and I no longer want to be the cops friend, but want to establish that I have my rights, and I know my rights, and as soon as possible the conversation will be ended and we can go our seperate ways.

Back to the OP. I am constantly forgetting the pamphlets as well. So I had some cards made up that have the WA State Constitution quote and a very quick OC description on the front, than the important part of RCW 9.41.270 and a mention of State vs Casad on the back. Website too of course. They stay in my wallet, so even if I forget the pamphlet I can still talk to the person and give them the card so they hopefully can goand look up more.
You would be wrong. If you have a CPL on your personand the cop ask to see it, the law is clear, you have to show it.

David.Car

imported post

Bear 45/70 wrote:
You would be wrong. If you have a CPL on your personand the cop ask to see it, the law is clear, you have to show it.

Actually I don't think that is accurate... Per RCW 9.41.050:

"Every licensee shall have his or her concealed pistol license in his or her immediate possession at all times that he or she is required by this section to have a concealed pistol license and shall display the same upon demand to any police officer or to any other person when and if required by law to do so."

The RCW is explicitly talking about times where a CPL is needed... this was not one of those times

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

True he did not have to have the CPL. BUT, the way I read the wording IF one DOES have the CPL on their person and a cop asks to see it, you have to produce it. Now I am not aware of any law that says I have to show a CPL if I am not concealing, but then again I am not aware of any law that says I don't have to produce it. Nor am I of a mind to be the test case.

Probably 9 times out of 10 if an officer starts out friendly and asks for a CPL and you refuse it, it will most likely turn into a detainment and then you will be showing ID and anything else for that matter.

I believe it is easier to show the CPL and be done with it. If you feel your rights have been trampled on, a visit to IA and an explaination of why showing a CPL while OCing was a violation of your rights will most likely get you further than arguing with a beat cop.

Bear 45/70

imported post

David.Car wrote:
Bear 45/70 wrote:

"Every licensee shall have his or her concealed pistol license in his or her immediate possession at all times that he or she is required by this section to have a concealed pistol license and shall display the same upon demand to any police officer or to any other person when and if required by law to do so."

The RCW is explicitly talking about times where a CPL is needed... this was not one of those times
Read again. You must have it in your possession when carrying concealed. But the "and" between that and the display part seperates them making them making them two parts of the law. Which means if it is in your possession and the cop ask, you better show it. It does not say that you only have to show it while CCing, just on demand.

Washintonian_For_Liberty

imported post

David.Car wrote:
Bear 45/70 wrote:

This is why I keep my CPL in my vehicle visor. It's the only time I'll ever conceal my weapon. If a police officer asks me for it... I'll tell him its in my car... the only place I need it. If he gets upset at that, I won't let it bother me.

Keeping a copy of the law, and the constitution on hand is the best thing.

What I want to know is that, if you're not in a car, and you are OCing... how is a police officer supposed to tell if you are legally allowed to own and carry a gun?

<maybe that's a trick question>

Bear 45/70

imported post

Washintonian_For_Liberty wrote:
David.Car wrote:
Bear 45/70 wrote:

This is why I keep my CPL in my vehicle visor. It's the only time I'll ever conceal my weapon. If a police officer asks me for it... I'll tell him its in my car... the only place I need it. If he gets upset at that, I won't let it bother me.

Keeping a copy of the law, and the constitution on hand is the best thing.

What I want to know is that, if you're not in a car, and you are OCing... how is a police officer supposed to tell if you are legally allowed to own and carry a gun?

<maybe that's a trick question>
Without probably cause it is none of his business legally. The sheeple whining and crying and wringing their hands is the only reason they approach OCer (it's the must do something syndrome)and even then, they can onlylegally contact you, in social contactbecause as far as he can see you have broken no law. But I still say cooperation is the best tack to take as we are still educating the police. It's why I carry pamphlets, to educate and am pleasant. If you are uncooperative and even rude, all the cop learns is that anyone thatOCs is just that, rude and uncooperative. Be pleasant and educate is our best choice.

SpyderTattoo

imported post

OK, just got back from football practice. Guys, I'm so disheartened right now. I went to the Kent police dept. today after work to file a complaint. Instead, I got to talk to the Sgt. of the officer that stopped me. Basically he took his officer's back on this and told me that this is 2008 and people are going to freak out when they see a gun on the hip of a regular citizen, and that I can expect to have guns drawn on me if they are called. I explained that I felt intimidated by his officer by him telling me he would disarm me. We went around and around about this, with him not ever acknowledging that OC is OK. He says it creates fear. There is no complaintform for me to fill out about this, I have to just write a letter and submit it to him. I don't know what will happen to this letter if I write it, maybe they file it, maybe they just throw it away. I certainly don't think anything will go into the officer's file regarding this. I don't think I came across too harsh, but more questioning. In the end it seemed like we agreed to disagree.

As luck would have it, at the kid's football practice (my boys both play, and my daughter cheers; my wife and I both volunteer for the team too) there showed up, 2 Kent police bicycle officers. So I took the opportunity to approach them and get their opinions on OC. Basically the same conversation took place as happened with the Sgt. earlier in the day. Kent Police Dept, NEEDS TO GET EDUCATED BEFORE THEY DRAW GUNS ON INNOCENT, LAW ABIDING CITIZENS AND ARREST THEM. That's 4 officers in 3 days that all feel that they have the right to just draw down, arrest and let you sit in jail until Monday when the prosecutor decides if he has enough to charge you on. I tried to explain about State vs. Cassad, that merely having a gun exposed in a holster is not enough to qualify as warranting alarm. They just don't get that part, and won't even listen. SOMETHING MUST BE DONE ABOUT THIS. I'm planning to write some kind of letter to them and include one of the pamphlets and a copy of the Kent PD training bulletin. Maybe someone has a ready made letter I could fill in the important info...

I hope you all can feel my frustration, as I cannot afford to be arrested, or attorneys' fees for that matter. This just all makes me feel like this is how the country will fall,one citizen at a time. I don't want to give up OC. I want them to see that I'm not the criminal. :banghead:

Bear 45/70

imported post

SpyderTattoo wrote:
OK, just got back from football practice. Guys, I'm so disheartened right now. I went to the Kent police dept. today after work to file a complaint. Instead, I got to talk to the Sgt. of the officer that stopped me. Basically he took his officer's back on this and told me that this is 2008 and people are going to freak out when they see a gun on the hip of a regular citizen, and that I can expect to have guns drawn on me if they are called. I explained that I felt intimidated by his officer by him telling me he would disarm me. We went around and around about this, with him not ever acknowledging that OC is OK. He says it creates fear. There is no complaintform for me to fill out about this, I have to just write a letter and submit it to him. I don't know what will happen to this letter if I write it, maybe they file it, maybe they just throw it away. I certainly don't think anything will go into the officer's file regarding this. I don't think I came across too harsh, but more questioning. In the end it seemed like we agreed to disagree.

As luck would have it, at the kid's football practice (my boys both play, and my daughter cheers; my wife and I both volunteer for the team too) there showed up, 2 Kent police bicycle officers. So I took the opportunity to approach them and get their opinions on OC. Basically the same conversation took place as happened with the Sgt. earlier in the day. Kent Police Dept, NEEDS TO GET EDUCATED BEFORE THEY DRAW GUNS ON INNOCENT, LAW ABIDING CITIZENS AND ARREST THEM. That's 4 officers in 3 days that all feel that they have the right to just draw down, arrest and let you sit in jail until Monday when the prosecutor decides if he has enough to charge you on. I tried to explain about State vs. Cassad, that merely having a gun exposed in a holster is not enough to qualify as warranting alarm. They just don't get that part, and won't even listen. SOMETHING MUST BE DONE ABOUT THIS. I'm planning to write some kind of letter to them and include one of the pamphlets and a copy of the Kent PD training bulletin. Maybe someone has a ready made letter I could fill in the important info...

I hope you all can feel my frustration, as I cannot afford to be arrested, or attorneys' fees for that matter. This just all makes me feel like this is how the country will fall,one citizen at a time. I don't want to give up OC. I want them to see that I'm not the criminal. :banghead:

They can't refuse to take your complaint and the Sgt backing his officer is no great suprise as the officer's lack of training reflects on the Sgt. It's part of the thin blue line crap. Support for each other even if the jackass is wrong.As to the complaint, now you have two because they can't refuse to accept your complaint. Call their Internal Affairs or whatever they call it and make an appointment to go in an file a complaint. Make that two because the Sgt was out of line.

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

Ok dude major suckage but it can be overcome.

First off you need to INSIST on speaking to IA or someone over the seargent's head.

Second, if Kent has a training bulletin you need to reinforce that in their heads.

Third it's time to lawyer up if this is how they are going to keep treating you. Check your PM's I will give you the name of an attorney who does excellent work and can write a nice letter for a very reasonable fee that should clear things up nicely for you. Worked in Oly, I can testify to that!

Keep on plugging away and don't settle for second best when complaining.

SpyderTattoo

imported post

Thanks Lib. this is exactly what I need to hear from you more experienced guys here. I've only been on these boards for about 2 months. Now I feel as if I might be some kind of activist.