• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Legal, but is it a good idea?

Bookman

Campaign Veteran
Winston Salem, North Carolina, United States
imported post

I'm new here, having just registered with the site yesterday. I want to share a recent experience with you, though, and get your reactions and opinions.

I manage a house for homeless veterans on their way back up. We get people with substance abuse and/or mental and/or emotional problems. I, myself, am a graduate of the program.

Recently I began to go to the range with DEROS72, who is a friend of mine. After the 3rd or 4th trip I decided to obtain my own weapon, which i did about a month ago. Knowing that the guidelines for house I manage prohibit having weapons in the house, I decided to keep it locked up in the car. My immediate supervisor saw no problem with this andI thought the matter to be concluded. So much for thinking!

YesterdayI ran into the person who coordinates all of the transitional housing for my particular non-profit. She is my supervisor's supervisor (does that make sense?). Anyway, while chatting I made her aware of the existence of my pistol and it's location. She wasn't very happy with it and some discussion ensued where she made it plain that while she supports my right to bear arms she doesn't think it's a good idea, considering who some of our clients are. This was such a compelling statement that I voluntarily consented to store the gun elsewhere.

So I ask you. Do you carry just because it's legal, or do you consider the circumstances and surroundings before deciding?

Task Force 16

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Just my opinion here.

I don't think it is anyones business what you have in your car, as long as your weapon is secured ina locked glove compartment and the car is locked up. You probably shouldn't disclose to the clientel that you have a weapon in the car either, given that some of them may have emotional problems.

As long as it is legal, keep it in your car and don't tell.

Caption Jack

imported post

Welcome to the forum.In answer toyour question...some things are best not said. Is best to keep it to yourself the fact that you have firearm in vehicle. Your boss may be anti-gun. Also consider the statement, even thoughmeant tobeharmless, that you have a firearm , itcould sound alarm.

Captain Jack, military retired

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Bookman wrote:
SNIP So I ask you. Do you carry just because it's legal, or do you consider the circumstances and surroundings before deciding?

I carry for defense of self and others.

I do not carry in prohibited locations.

The only consideration I give to circumstances and surroundings is whether to OC or CC.

Glove compartments and consoles are the first place car breakers are going to look for a firearm. Also, a car break-in can happen really, really fast. Just turn your back for two minutes--your gun is gone. If you want to store it in a car, lock it in the trunk until you can get an armored, lockable, screw down-able container just for handguns.

Its best not to let anyone know where you store your arms. As you've discovered some people don't take it well at all.

If I talk with someone about where I store my gun its in the context of a conversation about where to store guns and only with someone I know is a solid supporter of 2A, and someone I can trust to keep their mouth shut.

There is an even chance that your supervisor's supervisor is already writing aquery up-channels about policy and legality of your in-car gun storage. Prepare for fall-out. It may not occur, but prepare for it just in case.

Bookman

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Citizen wrote:
Bookman wrote:
SNIP So I ask you. Do you carry just because it's legal, or do you consider the circumstances and surroundings before deciding?

I carry for defense of self and others.

I do not carry in prohibited locations.

The only consideration I give to circumstances and surroundings is whether to OC or CC.

Glove compartments and consoles are the first place car breakers are going to look for a firearm. Also, a car break-in can happen really, really fast. Just turn your back for two minutes--your gun is gone. If you want to store it in a car, lock it in the trunk until you can get an armored, lockable, screw down-able container just for handguns.

Its best not to let anyone know where you store your arms. As you've discovered some people don't take it well at all.

If I talk with someone about where I store my gun its in the context of a conversation about where to store guns and only with someone I know is a solid supporter of 2A, and someone I can trust to keep their mouth shut.

There is an even chance that your supervisor's supervisor is already writing aquery up-channels about policy and legality of your in-car gun storage. Prepare for fall-out. It may not occur, but prepare for it just in case.
I'm already steeling myself for any fallout, althoughI don't think there will be any. The way things work here, the question is usually dropped as soon as the immedaite concerns are addressed. Since the gun is now at a friend's house I'm really not expecting anything further to be said. I'm ready to deal with it ifthere is, though

SIGguy229

imported post

One could think the reason you carry is because who you work with.

Bad move on telling your boss--it is obvious he cannot keep his mouth closed.

Unless prohibited by law (or if the policy is vague enough)...I would put it in a SmartCarry and go about my business.

+1 to Citizen re: car storage. Get a Center of Mass safe to mount under your car seat (if you must disarm)...otherwise, keep it to yourself.

Thank you for your service to veterans...

Mike

Major, USAF

SDguy

imported post

I have carried now for years even where it is illegal for me to carry. Legal or not I keep it to myself. It only becomes the interest of others when I need to bring it out during an emergency situtation.

I especially do not want anyone to know that there is a firearm in my car where I do not have personal control over it. Only my immediate family members need to know of the presence of a gun in our automobile and each of them also have cc permits and have the right mindset to use a gun if necessary.

Many people do not understand that a gun is not necessarly a bad, it all depends upon who has control over it.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Bookman wrote:
So I ask you. Do you carry just because it's legal, or do you consider the circumstances and surroundings before deciding?
I always consider the circumstances and surroundings before I do anything from sometimes deciding whether or not to shave in the morning or even take a shower, to what I wear, to what and how I carry. even to what I order for a meal sometimes.

As to carry in general though, I don't carry just because it is legal, I carry because those I love and those who rely on me are important enough for me to go through the many inconveniences of carrying. If I had to carry in your environment, I would have an auto-safe to secure the firearm to prevent unauthorized access even if the car was broken into and I would keep such information to myself. It is my choice whether or not to disclose when and if I carry and how I so disclose it which I usually only do through OC when appropriate and legal.

Slayer of Paper

imported post

If I knew when and where I was going to become a victim, I wouldn't need to carry everywhere. Since I don't know that, I DO carry everywhere. The gun's NEVER going to come out of concealement unless there is an absolute immediate need for it and I'm never going to talk about being armed (except on Internet message boards, heh), so I figure, what they don't know won't distress them. Disclaimer: I would never suggest carrying where it is illegal to do so.

AbNo

imported post

As far as securing it in your vehicle, an old ammo can could easily be installed in your trunk (depending on what kind).

Simply get

About 4 self-tapping sheet metal screws

Some lock washers/nuts

a lock of your choosing

a locking device for your ammo can (either buy or make one)

You'll need a decent drill, and a small metal cutting drill bit.

1> Pick a suitable spot in your trunk to mount the can. Make sure it can be opened fully while in place.

2> Place the ammo can in the trunk, and attach your metal drill bit to your beloved drill.

3> Drill 4 (or 6) pilot holes through the can AND the bottom of your trunk.

4> Screw in the self-tapping screws. Make sure to put a lock washer on the screw before tightening it.

5> Attach a lock-washer and a nut to the underside. Check for snugness on top and bottom.

6> Install lock.

7> ???

8> Profit! (Yes, I had to do that)

Weak 9mm

imported post

Oh, yes get an old ammo can for sure. A good one will seal well and you can put some desiccant in there to keep things dry. I'll PM you a place to get a great ammo can.

Bookman

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Weak 9mm wrote:
Oh, yes get an old ammo can for sure. A good one will seal well and you can put some desiccant in there to keep things dry. I'll PM you a place to get a great ammo can.
I'm gonna get a lockbox for the car. THEN I'll bring baby back. In the mean time, according to state law, they have the right to ask me not to bring it on the property. Also, after thinking it over, I tend to agree with them... until I get the lockbox.

Alwayspacking

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Yep I would not have said anything to anyone. At any of my jobs I have had, I never told anyone I had my gun in my car. For one i do not want anyone to take it from my car, also they will have nothing to rat on me aboutifwe are ever at odds with each other.

Bookman

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Alwayspacking wrote:
Yep I would not have said anything to anyone. At any of my jobs I have had, I never told anyone I had my gun in my car. For one i do not want anyone to take it from my car, also they will have nothing to rat on me aboutifwe are ever at odds with each other.
Besides being my employers, they are also my landlords. This is a live-in position. As such I felt they had the right to know due to liability issues.

Alwayspacking

Campaign Veteran
imported post

When I lived in an apartment even my landlords did not know I had guns. :)This is what I say.... It is not going to hurt anyone while it is locked up, and no one pulls the trigger. And if someone were ever to be shot by my gun, then i was about to be killed anyway, i would not care about any other legal issues that may follow. Somethings are better off not told, and having to explain it later or never.

Bookman

Campaign Veteran
imported post

The main point here is that it's a program that takes in People with drug/alcohol/mental problems, and if they should discover the weapon on their own somehow and then have a "crisis" (to use the correct PC lingo) they might either take the weapon and sell it, or take it and USE it.

That's why I'm going to wait to get the lockbox to store it in before I bring it back. I'm also NOT going to tell them it's there.

cynicist

imported post

My personal opinion is generally CC is a better idea, since if someone is going to attack you, and they see that you have a gun, and they still want to attack you, they will change their tactics accordingly, like walking past you and clubbing you instead of pulling a knife in front. CC gives that element of surprise.

In groups, I would recomend OC, since you don't have to worry about an individual surprising you and no one being there to get your back.

Just my opinion.

But in the meantime, my incompetent local PD is denying my CPL without cause (at their "discretion," which they don't have in WA) so I'm just gonna have to open carry.

N00blet45

imported post

Do the people you're taking care of have easy access to your vehicle? I mean are you constantly transporting them or something? If not I would have just put it in the glovebox and kept my mouth shut.

I don't know how Washington law is but in Kentucky you can keep firearms in your car regardless of what your employer's firearm policy is.