• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

How the 4 rules saved my skin-- OR-- How my Rock Island tried to kill my car!

Keane

imported post

marshaul wrote:
Keane wrote:
UPDATE:

I just got the 1911 back from RIA, and it seems to be fixed. I think they did some 'tuning' as well, since the trigger and seem smother.

They were pretty good for support, though I still would have rathered this didn't happen.

You really shouldn't carry any 1911 until you've done the safety checks. One of which is dropping the slide a few times by releasing the slide stop to make sure the hammer doesn't follow (don't overdo this if you value your locking lugs and your trigger job).

Also, you really shouldn't drop the slide in this fashion to load a round, unless you've got the weapon pointed at your target during a reload. It's just not a good practice with a 1911 pattern pistol. If you ever do have hammer follow (which can happen on any 1911 that hasn't been confirmed to be properly functional, although it obviously shouldn't happen on a new one), it's most likely to be after doing this.

FWIW, I have two RIAs and they don't hammer follow. I also use my pistols the way they're meant to be used. 1911s are perfectly safe if they function properly, and you should always fully function test any pistol before you carry it.

With all that said, accidents happen, and that's why we follow redundant firearms safety rules. As you've found out, if you follow the rules, nobody will get hurt even if things go unpredictably wrong.

I HAD done a function test before then. This wasn't a new gun, it is almost a year old. This was the first time this particular malfunction occurred.

As for loading a round that way, it was something I had seen done before, so I figured it was OK, but I know now. RIA sent it back, and it seems to work fine now, and passes the function test fine for now.

DenWin

imported post

I see a lot of these posts refer to the rule 'always point the firearmin a safe direction.' I've always been taught this version, though:

Never point the firearm at anything you are not willing to destroy.

Although I would rather not destroy my center console, if that's the best place at the time, then that's where it is going to be pointed. If you're really concerned about it, you can get small sheets of level IIA kevlar specifically for this purpose.

scoobydoo6906

imported post

Keane wrote:
UPDATE:

I just got the 1911 back from RIA, and it seems to be fixed. I think they did some 'tuning' as well, since the trigger and seem smother.

They were pretty good for support, though I still would have rathered this didn't happen.
I think that RIA owes you a $20 console for your pimped out ride. They should be pretty happy that nobody was hurt. They clearly need at least one new quality control person. I mean its one thing if the thing jams all the time, but that kind of malfuction is inexcusable. That should have been caught when they test fired the weapon if they fed it from a magazine. It should have been caught and was not, and it could have killed somebody. I'll personally never buying a RIA know. I understand that stuff gets though, but it was doing the same thing at the factory too most likely. I have never heard about anything this major getting bye any other maker like Glock or whoever. Sorry....end of rant

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Well, the OP claims it passed the function test when he bought it. This means it probably passed at the factory too.

I hate to say it, but my guess is that the problem developed as a result of repeatedly dropping the slide using the slide lock to load a round. Once again, not an acceptable problem, but it's also one of the big reasons people always say "don't drop the slide on a 1911 by releasing the slide lock".

FWIW, that's why I installed an EGW sear in my carry 1911, and a Ed Brown hardcore hammer to match. With hardened tool steel, the sear should last a lot longer, especially when "abused". Only problem is this usually requires fitting a new safety as well.

grishnav

imported post

marshaul wrote:
Well, the OP claims it passed the function test when he bought it. This means it probably passed at the factory too.

I hate to say it, but my guess is that the problem developed as a result of repeatedly dropping the slide using the slide lock to load a round. Once again, not an acceptable problem, but it's also one of the big reasons people always say "don't drop the slide on a 1911 by releasing the slide lock".

FWIW, that's why I installed an EGW sear in my carry 1911, and a Ed Brown hardcore hammer to match. With hardened tool steel, the sear should last a lot longer, especially when "abused". Only problem is this usually requires fitting a new safety as well.
I'm not famaliar with 1911 function, so bear with me...

Unless you ease the slide down when you manually rack it, how is manually racking the slide less brutal than dropping the slide lock?

kparker

imported post

I think the issue is dropping the slide over a round that's already in the chamber.

The "proper" way to do what he did is:

1. Insert the mag.
  2. Chamber a round.
  3. Remove the mag.
  4. Top it up.
  5. Reinsert the mag.
and as he said, he was just trying to shortcut the process.

grishnav

imported post

kparker wrote:
I think the issue is dropping the slide over a round that's already in the chamber.

The "proper" way to do what he did is:
  1. Insert the mag.
  2. Chamber a round.
  3. Remove the mag.
  4. Top it up.
  5. Reinsert the mag.
and as he said, he was just trying to shortcut the process.
Yeah... Dropping the slide on a round in the chamber is tough on the extractor in just about any firearm. I understand that. :p

But a few people here have said that dropping the slide lock is dangerous... I'm just curious as to why.