• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Brady Campaign says Open Carry Activists are "Pushy and Aggressive"

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

[size=The New Gun Week, Aug. 15, 2008:][/b]

[size=Open carry demonstration in Michigan gets attention][/b]

The open carry movement has come to Michigan, with a demonstration by more than three dozen armed citizens de­scribed as "mostly white men" turning out for a stroll along the streets of Hastings, a small community in western Michigan's Barry County.

According to The Detroit Free Press, the group met at Richie's Koffee Shop and then walked outside and over to a fountain in front of the County Court­house, where they listened to a speech by gun rights activist Skip Coryell, who was also openly packing a gun.

The newspaper noted that the Open Carry movement is growing in the United States. There are 44 states where open carry is legal without some sort of permit. While the practice is more common in places like Arizona, Alaska, Montana, Idaho, Virginia and Washing­ton, there are activists in other states.

It was the right of open carry, and the exercise thereof by residents in Ohio a few years ago that finally prodded state lawmakers to pass concealed carry in the Buckeye State despite opposition from an, anti-gun governor and several police agencies.

Coryell reportedly called open carry "the next wave of the Second Amendment."

According to Newscenter 3 TV, there were plenty of people who turned up for the event to watch the spectacle. Despite some objections, Hastings Police decided not to intervene in anyway because it is legal in Michigan to carry a holstered side arm in public, without a permit, as long as it's visible and the owner ob­tained the gun legally.

Coryell said of marchers that "we just want people to know this is not some­thing they should be afraid of, we want to put them at ease around guns. There is this stigma that guns equal crime and gun owners equal criminals, and that's just not true."

Not everyone in Hastings agreed. Some people believe the march was just a political stunt, and one shop owner was heard to remark that the march was about as welcome as the plague.

The practice of open carry went out of vogue long ago, but not off the law books. In an earlier time, Americans generally considered carrying a concealed handgun to be the act of a criminal or shady character. How times have changed.

Nowadays, open carry advocates are struggling to educate police agencies and the public that toting a firearm in full view is not illegal, and is no more a threat to public safety than hay fever or the common cold.

The Free Press said this is not the first time an open carry demonstration had been conducted in Michigan. Earlier, a group had gathered in a small park near Flint.

Open carry caught some criticism from Peter Hamm, spokesman for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence. He told The Free Press that open carry activists are "pushy and aggressive." The New GUN WEEK, August 15, 2008

mastiff69

imported post

Thats OK, I find that most Brady people are arrogant, ignorant. self absorbed, delusional,off centered, *(This is just my humble opinion)*Oh and believe that the government will protect their family from the bad guys too.

N00blet45

imported post

I don't suppose Mr. Hamm would have any experiences to share that back up his opinions would he? I know I know, it's probably asking to much for a member of the Brady bunch to use reasoning skills.

Cougfan2

Opt-Out Members
imported post

Since when did logic, facts, or statistics ever enter into any of the Brady Bunch's statements. :cuss:

Michigander

imported post

I think it's best not to get upset about the right people flipping out. When someone new to the topic goes and buys this crap, that's when you have to step in. But in this case, it's just the brady bunch. Getting them mad is simply a symptom of success.:celebrate

sraacke

imported post

Did anyone catch this?

Mike wrote:
It was the right of open carry, and the exercise thereof by residents in Ohio a few years ago that finally prodded state lawmakers to pass concealed carry in the Buckeye State despite opposition from an, anti-gun governor and several police agencies.

That is something which really gets to the mindset of antis. It's perfectly legalto open carry and some free citizens, interested in taking responsibility for their own safety, strap on holstered weapons and go about their lives. This so upsets the delicate sensibilities of antis that they insist on something being done. "Oh goodness," they wail, "seeing our fellow citizens displaying guns reminds us that there are some people who don't necessarily believe that the world isa safe place and that we are all going tolay down with the lions." So the solution is to hide the offensive instruments of death. Sure, passing a CCW bill means you will probably have MORE people carrying guns than before. The point is, now we won't KNOW that there are anyguns around. The guy standingbehind you in line at the store may be concealing a gun but as long as we can't see the gun we can lie to ourselves and humWe Are The World. Now here come OC proponets who insist on strapping thier guns on their hips in plain view again. "OH GOODNESS.Didn't anyone tell youhow to get a CCW permit? Please hide that evil thing now. Think of the children."

It makes me sick to my gut knowing that there really are people who think that way.

Sonora Rebel

imported post

yale wrote:
Did anyone catch this?

Mike wrote:

That is something which really gets to the mindset of antis. It's perfectly legalto open carry and some free citizens, interested in taking responsibility for their own safety, strap on holstered weapons and go about their lives. This so upsets the delicate sensibilities of antis that they insist on something being done. "Oh goodness," they wail, "seeing our fellow citizens displaying guns reminds us that there are some people who don't necessarily believe that the world isa safe place and that we are all going tolay down with the lions." So the solution is to hide the offensive instruments of death. Sure, passing a CCW bill means you will probably have MORE people carrying guns than before. The point is, now we won't KNOW that there are anyguns around. The guy standingbehind you in line at the store may be concealing a gun but as long as we can't see the gun we can lie to ourselves and humWe Are The World. Now here come OC proponets who insist on strapping thier guns on their hips in plain view again. "OH GOODNESS.Didn't anyone tell youhow to get a CCW permit? Please hide that evil thing now. Think of the children."

It makes me sick to my gut knowing that there really are people who think that way.

The sheep don't understand that the more sheepdogs among 'em... the safer they are overall. The anti's in gummint don't like the idea that free citizens are providing the means for their own personal defense which is their Right; recognized by the 2A. (Police have no duty to protect an individual) The left wing biased MSM sensationalizes... propagandizes and disseminates so much disinformation on a daily basis to the 'masses' that it becomes 'lore'. The talking heads by 'n large have no idea what they're talkin' about when it comes to firearms... or 'arms' in general. They're especially fond of catchwords such as: Registration, Permit(s), License(s), High powered, Automatic, 'Assault' (even pistols), Hi-capacity magazine(s) etc. They do this even where no 'Gun Registration' has ever existed or Permits ever required to Open Carry.It can't be ignorance of Law... They have people on their staff paid to verify what the 'law' sez. It's deliberate sensationalized dis-information.

The politicians are even worse. Stupidity abounds. Barbara Mikulski (D-MD): "They have to make safer bullets!" (commenting on an accidental shooting.) I about ran off the road I was laffin' so hard.

Chuck Schumer (D-NY): "That the biggest bullet I've ever seen!" (commenting on a 7.62x39mm round from some perps AK magazine). Chucky should get out more.

SpringerXDacp

imported post

Sonora Rebel wrote:
SNIP
The politicians are even worse. Stupidity abounds. Barbara Mikulski (D-MD): "They have to make safer bullets!" (commenting on an accidental shooting.) I about ran off the road I was laffin' so hard.

Chuck Schumer (D-NY): "That the biggest bullet I've ever seen!" (commenting on a 7.62x39mm round from some perps AK magazine). Chucky should get out more.

What about a frangible/rubber/jelly-filled core (with a variety of flavors, of course) bullet, so after the "accidental shooting", all that's left to do is lick your wounds? :?

Gee, wonder what Chucky's thoughtswould beif he saw a 50 BMG?

<Sarcasm Off>

ilbob

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Mike wrote:
Despite some objections, Hastings Police decided not to intervene in anyway because it is legal in Michigan to carry a holstered side arm in public, without a permit, as long as it's visible and the owner ob­tained the gun legally.
They seem surprisedthat the police decided not to arrest people for doing something everyone knows is not illegal. Where do these nitwits come up with this kind of thing?

Sonora Rebel

imported post

ilbob wrote:
Mike wrote:
Despite some objections, Hastings Police decided not to intervene in anyway because it is legal in Michigan to carry a holstered side arm in public, without a permit, as long as it's visible and the owner ob­tained the gun legally.
They seem surprisedthat the police decided not to arrest people for doing something everyone knows is not illegal. Where do these nitwits come up with this kind of thing?
That statement about the Hastings PD is about as necessary as saying it's legal in MI to also write stupid articles w/o police intervention.

cccook

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Mike wrote:
According to Newscenter 3 TV, there were plenty of people who turned up for the event to watch the spectacle.
I guess law abiding citizens drinking coffee,walking and listening to a speaker rises to the level of spectacle for some. Whoo Hoo!! BEHOLD THE SPECTACLE!!!

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

If we are so pushy and aggressive, why is it that anti-gun types never seem afraid to get up in our faces and tell us how pushy and aggressive and even scary we are?

WDGF

imported post

mvpel wrote:
To people like that, the simple display of a holstered sidearm qualifies as an act of "aggression."
And the idea that people would actually care enough to defend their rights is "pushy." :X

deepdiver wrote:
If we are so pushy and aggressive, why is it that anti-gun types never seem afraid to get up in our faces and tell us how pushy and aggressive and even scary we are?
Probably because they've never done that to someone who will give them the swift kick in the nads they so badly need.

JimmyD8681

imported post

Mike wrote:
[size=The New Gun Week, Aug. 15, 2008:][/b]

[size=Open carry demonstration in Michigan gets attention][/b]

The open carry movement has come to Michigan, with a demonstration by more than three dozen armed citizens de­scribed as "mostly white men" turning out for a stroll along the streets of Hastings, a small community in western Michigan's Barry County.
I'm surprised that no one has mentioned this before. What does race have to do with it? They use the work "MOSTLY", what other races were represented? It makes me wonder what else they're trying to stir up...

Huck

imported post

WDGF wrote:
I expect he thinks we're pushy and aggressive for believing we have a right to free speech, too. :banghead:

To people like Peter Hamm you have the right to freedom of speech only if you say something they agree with.

"The anti's in gummint don't like the idea that free citizens are providing the means for their own personal defense which is their Right; recognized by the 2A. (Police have no duty to protect an individual)"

Unless the person is a politician, mayor, police chief, city alderman, etc. Then the police do protect them.