• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Kingman set to prohibit guns in City Complex

PavePusher

imported post

http://www.kingmandailyminer.com/main.asp?SectionID=1&subsectionID=1&articleID=16879

Kingman set to prohibit guns in City Complex after lockers installed

KINGMAN - The city of Kingman will soon implement a policy change that will prohibit firearms in the City Complex at 310 N. Fourth St., including during City Council meetings.

Gun lockers will be installed at the north entrance to the complex, providing a secure area for members of the public to store a weapon while conducting business or attending a Council meeting. The ban on firearms within the complex will take effect shortly after the lockers are installed, though it wasn't immediately clear how soon that would happen.

"I know that they are on order and they're waiting for delivery," said Captain Ray Sipe of the Kingman Police Department. "I would think within two to four weeks."

The measure comes following a conference that took place last month between Mayor John Salem, acting City Manager Jack Kramer and Police Chief Robert DeVries. In their discussion, Salem said the three agreed that the City Complex building was particularly lacking in security features compared to other municipal buildings.

"That was our main concern, during the City Council meetings as well as throughout the day, there's really not much security at the City Complex," Salem said.

"People are pretty much free to roam where they please throughout the building throughout the day, and we just want to tighten that up a bit."

While he acknowledged the possibility of a shooting rampage, such as the one that claimed the lives of two city council members, two police officers and the Public Works Director of Kirkwood, Mo., earlier this year, Salem said he was less concerned about his personal safety and more concerned with the safety of the many city employees who work in the complex building throughout the day.

"It does motivate us to look at our building and look at the way security has been handled, but we've never had any threats or anything like that," Salem said. "The people I've come into contact with have been very good people. I haven't run into any people that might fit that type of a profile."

Still, Salem said, there have been instances where citizens frustrated over something as simple as a utility payment have been known to raise their voice or become otherwise belligerent. Gun lockers, he said, could prevent "those types of episodes" from escalating any further.

"There's a whole slew of people who work in that building every day, and the doors are wide open," Salem said.

Even so, Salem made it clear he was not looking to infringe upon anyone's Second Amendment right to bear arms. An avid hunter and gun owner himself, he hoped residents would understand the motive behind the measure and comply accordingly.

"As far as civil liberties and rights of individuals to carry guns, I'm all for that," he said. "I would just hope that the people who are in opposition ...understand that we're just focusing on this building. We just want to make it a safer place for our people to work."

Arizona law allows for a citizen to openly carry a firearm in public or to lawfully carry a concealed firearm if they have been issued a concealed weapons permit. Even though it is legal to do so, the Kingman Police Department occasionally checks such citizens if requested, usually due to perceived unusual or suspicious behavior on the citizen's part.

Capt. Sipe said citizens who refuse to turn over their firearms when entering the City Complex would be denied entry and asked to leave. He said any further attempt could result in an arrest for trespassing.

"The intent of this ordinance isn't to try to arrest people, it's to ensure a safe working area," Sipe said. "We're not trying to deny anybody their rights."

Right Mr. Sipe. You want to "protect" people by denying them their rights. Kind of begs the question, "What are city employees and Councilors doing so wrong that they fear a legally armed citizenry?".

AZkopper

imported post

So, how many lockers are they providing? 10? 20? 100?

I saw on day 1 of the new rule, have 50-100 armed citizens show up to the city council meeting. They can't deny you armed entry just because they run out of lockers.

lostone1413

imported post

Kingman must have allot of people from Ca or Illinois or out East moving in. What I see in my part of AZ they are a way bigger threat to the 2nd amendment then t he illegals. I know some move in from them areas that are pro gun but trouble is they are a very small minority of the ones moving in from them areas

protector84

imported post

My recommendation to any administrator who wants to put a "gun free zone" sign on their business, school, or other public building should also put that same sign on the front door of their own home. Few, if any, who are for openly displaying that "this is a gun-free workplace" would openly display that "this is a gun-free home."

Michigander

imported post

lostone1413 wrote:
Kingman must have allot of people from Ca or Illinois or out East moving in. What I see in my part of AZ they are a way bigger threat to the 2nd amendment then t he illegals. I know some move in from them areas that are pro gun but trouble is they are a very small minority of the ones moving in from them areas
That is why it's so crucial to open carry at all times. This isn't California, and those who move here from there need to understand that.