• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

National Expositor: Hassled for Carrying a Gun by Wyoming Police

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

The sheriff said, "[A]s far aswe know, nobody is breaking any laws here. We just want to see that there is nothing else going on."

Another detention in search of a law.

bobcat

imported post

Just for the record, Fran is a guy, as in Francis, the male version. I am aquainted with Fran and he is an upstanding citizen and one could expect no less from him in such an encounter. A good ambassador for OC and liberty in general.

Last e-conversation with him was that he would not be filing a complaint. Some may disagree, but it's his call. He was planning on stopping in at the local constabulary to discuss things and further introduce himself.

Powell is fairly small, 6000 maybe, and I'll suggest it may be better to take something of a modified Dave Ridley education approach so as to maintain a generally neighborly atmosphere. It could well get more mileage than a formal complaint. That's my take, anyway.

Fran's got an excellent idea though, in Open Carry Friday. Wouldn't that be an interesting national trend? Hmmmm.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

bobcat wrote:
Just for the record, Fran is a guy, as in Francis, the male version. I am aquainted with Fran and he is an upstanding citizen and one could expect no less from him in such an encounter. A good ambassador for OC and liberty in general.

Last e-conversation with him was that he would not be filing a complaint. Some may disagree, but it's his call. He was planning on stopping in at the local constabulary to discuss things and further introduce himself.

Powell is fairly small, 6000 maybe, and I'll suggest it may be better to take something of a modified Dave Ridley education approach so as to maintain a generally neighborly atmosphere. It could well get more mileage than a formal complaint. That's my take, anyway.

Fran's got an excellent idea though, in Open Carry Friday. Wouldn't that be an interesting national trend? Hmmmm.
Have edited my post to reflect proper pronoun useage. Note to self: Never assume.

Each person must make their own judgement call on how to proceed following an incident of this type. I'm sure that Fran knows the lay of the land better than we do and he has a much more accurate take on how to get the desired results.

The Open Carry Friday idea would only add to our exposure, education and expansion of our cause. Wasn't it the Rt.Rev. JMB that said, "Whenever two or more are gathered....."

Yata hey

rodbender

imported post

Wow, Powell, Wyoming must have a lot of bad guys. Don't want tolive there. Or maybe it was just a chance to get some action, or real lifetraining, or wanted to see the reaction, I guess BG's would run or start shooting when confronted by the cops.In any case the cops were out of line to say the least. I think a formal complaint is in order here and maybe a request for an apology (good luck).

How do you get a Utah CCW? Gonna start on that right now.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

rodbender wrote:
How do you get a Utah CCW? Gonna start on that right now.
Persons wanting a Utah permit must take the required course from a Utah instructor - check in your area, there will be some most likely as this is a very popular permit. I live in Virginia and recently acquired mine.

For specifics on the application format/requirements see: http://des.utah.gov/bci/concealedfirearms.html

Yata hey

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

Citizen wrote:
The sheriff said, "[A]s far aswe know, nobody is breaking any laws here. We just want to see that there is nothing else going on."

Another detention in search of a law.
The key is what did he do afterwards? Did he make a complaint against the officers? Did he follow-up with the city council? Did he hire a lawyer to send a "$250 letter" (or whatever they cost out there) to the Chief and Mayor to set forth the civil rights violations concerns and demand that this never happen again?

This is where we make out money - after the fact re these fortunately rare but very weird and awkward police encounters - once the machinery of the bureacracy is forced to churn the issue, the word tends to get out about permit reciprocity, that open carriers are not per se detainable, etc.

bobcat

imported post

Rodbender, maybe I'm missing your sarcasm on Powell? It's actually a pretty quiet place. Two things going on right now: The height of tourist season and that Sturgis thing way over in SD. Guess the boys are a bit nervous?

Mike your right on the $250 letter. It would certainly seem to be a viable option in this situation. Numerous cases penned here show this gets considerable attention with the PTB. Getting a local attorney to deftly word existing civil/legal rights could well be a solution rather than ye old complaint form. A letter from a local respected attorney would certain keep the issue from going into the round file and being quickly forgotten and no lessons learned...

Hopefully, I'll get a chance to talk to Fran about this sometime soon. I'll certainly pass it along here.

rodbender

imported post

bobcat wrote:
Rodbender, maybe I'm missing your sarcasm on Powell? It's actually a pretty quiet place. Two things going on right now: The height of tourist season and that Sturgis thing way over in SD. Guess the boys are a bit nervous?

Yes, it was sarcasm. Just wanted to illustrate absurdity with absurdity. You know, acting like everyone is suspect of something even when obeying the law, like it was "Little Chicago" or something.

From the coversation, I figured that the cops knew it was legal, were bored andjust wanted some practice. After all, they didn't draw down on him, or disarm either one.

Ohio Patriot

imported post

He said, "I know, as far as we know, nobody is breaking any laws here, we just want to see that there is nothing else going on.

If the LEOs admitted that they were being detained without RAS, then the LEOs committed a crime.

Too bad the conversation wasn't recorded.

bobcat

imported post

rodbender wrote:
bobcat wrote:

Yes, it was sarcasm. Just wanted to illustrate absurdity with absurdity. You know, acting like everyone is suspect of something even when obeying the law, like it was "Little Chicago" or something.

From the coversation, I figured that the cops knew it was legal, were bored andjust wanted some practice. After all, they didn't draw down on him, or disarm either one.
Illustrating absurdity with absurdity is great!

Yeah, I suspect the boys were bored. This will probably keep the lockerroom chatter going for a week... unless of course a $250 letter shows up...